iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Squirrel den

Started by Briankinley2004, May 27, 2017, 07:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Briankinley2004

Sawed a squirrel den today. A storm blew a sweet gum down on the church grounds a few weeks ago. I had my excavator and trailer there doing some volunteer work so I loaded the log up. This section had me puzzled on how to saw up so I just did it today. Hopefully it will behave well enough to make some benches or a taxidermist may want some

nativewolf

Huh, that is pretty cool.  Do you think it started out as an woodpecker cavity tree?
Liking Walnut

thecfarm

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Never see boards with numbers on them. 6 and or 9. Very nice.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

fishfighter

Quote from: nativewolf on May 27, 2017, 08:53:42 PM
Huh, that is pretty cool.  Do you think it started out as an woodpecker cavity tree?

I would say that a branch broke off, rotted and then wildlife took over to make that cavity. See them all the time. Wood Ducks love them holes.

Briankinley2004

Not sure what caused it but there was an entry hole. If you look close you can see it below. I saved this piece with the bark and hole on bottom. The den was full of straw, leaves and muck

Ox

I sawed one out once in a big black locust and it stunk something fierce what with all the squirrel pith in there.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Thank You Sponsors!