iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 310/290 or 361 pro differences other than a few cc's

Started by jakell2010, July 01, 2008, 04:45:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakell2010

Hi guys,,,,I was wondering if I could draw on all of your vast experience, I was looking at the 361, and was comparing it to the 310 and the 290, the dealer says that the difference other than the displacement is that stihl takes more time putting the 361 together than the 310,,,,,,or the 390,,does that justify the 200-300 dollar price difference,,,I am looking to replace my 16y/o husky 262xp and was shopping around,,,,,,any info you can give would be greatly appreciated,,
they quoted
390,,,,64cc,,,,4.3hp  for  479

310,,,,59cc,,,,4.0hp  for 429

290,,,,57cc,,,3.8hp,       369

361,,,,59cc,,,,4.4hp for 620 :o,,,,,all with a 20"

should I just get a 460 with a 20" atleast then I'll have one hell of a grin on my face 8)

sawguy21

Welcome aboard, jackell. There is a lot of info (and opinions ;D) here.
The 361's internal construction is somewhat different and quite a bit stronger than the lower cost consumer saws. It is also lighter, has a better power to weight ratio and is a lot smoother. IMHO, the 361 is worth the extra coin if you are going to use it frequently. If just a few hours a year for occasional firewood and cleanup, the farm saws might serve you equally well.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SawTroll

Just get the 361, the quality difference is huge....... 8)
Information collector.

Night Raider

get the 361, in a few years you won't even remember about the extra $150 and you'll spend more time cutting and less time trying to get the *DanG thing to run.  Pluss the anti-vibe will keep your arms happy.

Cut4fun

361 has a magnesium case around the crank. 290 310 have a plastic resin case with a cheap metal clamshell around the crank. They work OK for what they are. But if you do any serous cutting spend the extra dough and get you a saw that will last a life time 361 or other pro grade saw for the same money.
IMO the 361 is overpriced, but there is dealers out there that were selling them last year with a 20" b+c for $499.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jakell2010

OK so how would you rate the Stihl 361/460 against the Husky 372xp for $650, and the 390XP for $835, the huskys are cheaper for the power comparison, I 've been told a 390XP20" would be like useing a funny car to cut firewood

this is gonna primarily be a heavy firewood saw 20+cds/yr, plus some treework, I'm a believer of having more saw than what you neeed and not less saw than you need

thnx    you guys are great

STIHL 460 BAD AXX 20" for $839

Ianab

If you are on a budget the Stihl 290-390 range will be fine for firewood saws. By the time you wear one out it will be an old saw and will have served you well. All those saws are the same, just the piston/cylinder and the price is different. I bet the price difference to manufacture them is about $1, but Stihl figure if you are getting more power, you should pay more.

But the 361 is a much better saw, more durable, a bit more power, a bit less weight. If you want the best, or are going to be using it every day, thats what you buy.

Husky have their own range, and their own fans. The XP saws are the Pro range ones, and yes using a 390xp 20" is an overkill. It costs too much, weighs too much, and wont cut much faster in small wood. If you are cutting a 12" log a 60cc saw will keep up the chain speed and cut fine, a 90cc saw, same chain speed, cuts the same. You are just carrying a heavy saw and a light wallet. But if your firewood logs are 30", thats different  ;)

I have a MS310, it's been a totally reliable saw, nothing spectacular, but when I pull it out of the shed it starts and cuts. I also have a Dolmar 7900 (79cc) that leaves it for dead, but only reason I got that was to handle a 28" bar in 50" logs. If I was only ever dealing with 20" logs the 310 would still be doing the job.

I dont think you will regret buying a better saw, but you can buy a saw thats too big. I have an 090 on my sawmill, 135cc , but no way I'm wanting to carry that around all day with a 20" bar.  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Urbicide

The Husqvarna 372XP is an excellent saw. When folks look back at saws of our present era you can be assured that the 372 will be at the top of the Husqvarna llist. New EPA regulations taking place in the very near  future will mean the end of a lot of chain saws that are available today. The 372XP had been discontinued here in the US but was brought back due to demand. Now the writing is on the wall for this model so if you are interested you should check them out while you still can. Btw, the 372XP responds very well to woods porting work in the hands of a good saw builder.

The Stihl MS-361 is also an excellent saw and would be my choice of the mid sized Stihls.

Your 262XP can also be re-built so I would keep it If I was you. It was another great saw, especially if you have gotten 16 years out of it. New crank seals, hoses, piston ring, carb rebuild and who knows how many more years of service you could get out of it. A man can never have too many saws. ;D

rfalk

I just paid $525 for a 361 with a 20" bar and chain. Dealer also discounted extra chain purchase. Call around to different dealers....I found over $100 difference in price for this saw. bob
Wood engineer, woodworker, chainsaw miller, bandsaw miller, all around lover of wood.
Stihl 026, 361, 076 AV

jokers

Quote from: Ianab on July 02, 2008, 07:22:05 AM
If you are on a budget the Stihl 290-390 range will be fine for firewood saws.............
But the 361 is a much better saw, more durable, a bit more power, a bit less weight. If you want the best, or are going to be using it every day, thats what you buy.

Husky have their own range, and their own fans. The XP saws are the Pro range ones, and yes using a 390xp 20" is an overkill. It costs too much, weighs too much, and wont cut much faster in small wood. If you are cutting a 12" log a 60cc saw will keep up the chain speed and cut fine, a 90cc saw, same chain speed, cuts the same. You are just carrying a heavy saw and a light wallet. But if your firewood logs are 30", thats different  ;)

I dont think you will regret buying a better saw, but you can buy a saw thats too big.
Ian
Ian, hope you don`t mind that I`ve taken excerpts from your post, but you did hit all the highpoints.

Thanks!

20 cords of the average firewood size tree a year will be a breeze with the 361, even easier with the 372 or 460, but the additional weight and cost of these bigger saws isn`t justified for that amount of cutting. Believe it or not, you will feel an extra two pounds at the end of a long day.

SawTroll

Quote from: Cut4fun on July 01, 2008, 07:11:29 PM
361 has a magnesium case around the crank. 290 310 have a plastic resin case with a cheap metal clamshell around the crank. They work OK for what they are. But if you do any serous cutting spend the extra dough and get you a saw that will last a life time 361 or other pro grade saw for the same money.
IMO the 361 is overpriced, but there is dealers out there that were selling them last year with a 20" b+c for $499.

They cost about 500USD less than a 357xp over here...... :)
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!