iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chipping Dirty Wood

Started by Kevee, May 10, 2018, 11:17:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevee

Hi All,

I was looking for some advice. I had a number of trees cut down by a company and requested that the brush wood was left on site because I thought I would be able to chip it and make pathways etc. with it.

However when speaking to their supervisor he said that all the wood was dirty and I would blunt any blades within a matter of minutes. The only option being to burn it in batches.

Is there any way to chip this large pile of brushwood I now have?

Thanks,

Kevin

thecfarm

Kevee,welcome to the forum.
Chipping,takes a good size one to really make it work,so you don't almost work yourself to death.
I had my land logged,and they ran over the brush. I burn wood,so I am still picking up wood. Dulls a chain on a saw quick.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mudfarmer

How "dirty" is the brush? How did it get that way? Skidding whole trees through the mud?

If they just cut down trees and piled the tops up you should be good to go. If they pushed the tops into a pile with a piece of equipment I could see it being pretty dirty. 

Do you already have a chipper or going to rent/buy? Our local rental place keeps theirs sharp and have people who put all sorts of awful stuff through.

Was the company maybe saying this so you would let them take the brush? ;)

Kevee

I am not sure if the company wanted to take the brushwood themselves, they did not seem that keen to at the time.

There is a lot of it circa 80 trees cut down. I was not there so not sure how they built up the pile but they said they had a JCB\telehandler to build the pile but I do not know if there was dragging involved. It was not raining on the days they were working so it would have been dry dirt if they did drag them.

I can't afford to buy my own equipment so if I had to hire it how does it work if I did blunt the blades? Or is it not worth it and have to have a bonfire every week for probably the next year?

mike_belben

No one wants brush piles.  Its a waste product that tree services just have to deal with.  
Praise The Lord

TKehl

I can't imagine it would be that dirty.  You'll want a tree service style chipper though, not a homeowner model.  At the same time it may be better to hire someone with a forestry mulcher...  Would be faster and if you are paying labor it may be cheaper.  (Think skid steer on steriods with a flail mower on double steroids.)  Google "Fecon" for images.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

DelawhereJoe

Do you have a tractor, if so how may hp? Woodmaxx wc-8n makes an self feeding 8" chipper that runs off the pto for less then $1900 delivered. If I can convince my wife to let me get it I'll tell my review of it. I burn wood so it would only be fed branches less then 3" so my 25hp tractor will handle everything I feed it.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

bill m

What kind of company was it that did the work? I have never heard of a tree service using a telehandler for brush, not saying there isn't just that I haven't. I am guessing the brush is in a big jumble going every direction and will be a nightmare to pull apart. Unless someone has a big chipper with a grapple to feed it this will be a nasty job to do by hand. As for the knives getting dull this is part of the job and the contractor should expect this. If he brings this up and wants to charge extra look elsewhere. A better option would be someone with a tub grinder. They are more forgiving with dirty material.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Thank You Sponsors!