iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Economics of sawing slabs

Started by Minnesota_boy, November 18, 2003, 08:26:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minnesota_boy

The mill that has hired me to saw long timbers for them has asked if I could saw wide white pine slabs, 30 to 36 inches wide.  I said that my limit with the bandsaw was 24, but then I was thinking about how much it would cost to get a chainsaw mill with a slabbing attachment and saw those in what would otherwise be down time in the winter.  What would this setup cost, how long would it take per slab, and how could I charge and make a profit?  Any ideas?
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

SawInIt CA

You can saw 28" slabs if you puch it up on the tabs and put a shim under the cant....at least on my lt40. Maybe that is good enough for them and no more capitol outlay for you. Just a thought

solidwoods

This must be less than 5000bf?
Anyway, I would be setting up a chainsaw mill,  4 poster , 2ea 5hp 220vac or best, gen. your elec. to run a large cheap 3ph motor (use the gen if the pwr goes out ).  
And a long long bar.
Make the mill fit your present mills track if you can.

JIM
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Solidwoods has a good idea.

If you are not into engineering and welding,  Peterson and Lucas both sell items which could help you.  You could adapt them to your existing over-length bed.

There is someone else, also, but I don't have time right now to dig it out of virtual reality.  I'll try to think who it is later, and post it.  (This unkown one is cheaper.)
Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Thank You Sponsors!