iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Insurance for your vehicle that pulls mill

Started by 4x4American, March 06, 2015, 09:53:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

I am trying to find a commercial insurance for my truck that pulls the mill.  I just got off the phone with Geico, and when I told them that I use my truck to pull the mill (which is already covered on its own insurance), tow trailers, logs and lumber, they told me that they do not offer any coverage for what I am doing with my truck.  I went to town to see the local insurance agent, and they gave me a quote that was just a little bit way the heck too expensive!  I have also checked with a few other companies and found out that they do not offer commercial insurance.

What are you guys doing about insurance for your tow rig?
Boy, back in my day..

terrifictimbersllc

I have State Farm and using my truck in business is not an issue. This did not add to my rate.   Loss to what I am towing is not covered but liability while I am towing is.  At one point I filled out a very detailed questionnaire about my business vehicle activity and where I travel.  It is not called a commercial policy though.  For that I would have to be driving a different type of truck, more substantially modified like a commercial body for example (my F-350 is not modified).  I guess I am suggesting to check whether your present insurance is sufficient to also do business with your truck, in case you were asking for a specifically commercial policy.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

boscojmb

I ran in to the same thing with Geico, great folks, but they don't offer commercial policies in some states.
I ended up with Progressive for my tow vehicle. It took being on hold for a while and getting transfered several times, but they did get it set up the same day and no problems since.
John B.

Log-Master LM4

coppolajc10

4x4American

Funny you mention that, the insurance agent in town sent me progressive quotes last week, I think I'm going to take her up on them next week. 

You know how they say the 15 minutes can save you 15% or more?
Well that's because the agents talk so fast that you can't understand what they're saying.  They talk even faster the longer that you hang out asking questions.  So then it gets to a point where you know you're not getting anywhere, but you want to keep them on the line to see how fast they can talk.  I thought I was at an auction. 
Boy, back in my day..

timberfaller390

I have progressive on everything. Normal insurance on my pickup that tows the mill. I have progressive commercial insurance on my big trucks. You won't find a better company to get a commercial policy from.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

4x4American

Good to know.  I asked the agent in town about doing just a regular non-commercial policy today and she told me that they can't because I do things like this:

That was today I drew a load of pine.  Hopefully more to come.
Boy, back in my day..

THUNDER BEAST

When you use the words business and insurance in the same sentence you can figure x2=$$ I have had commercial policies on my tow rigs for years pulling my boat, but heck its a write off right. :'(

Southside

Check with some of the loggers you buy from and ask who they use.  I was able to find a policy this way, I have a base radius of 100 miles, meaning most of my travels will be within that limit but I can drive to Alaska tomorrow with no problem, and it only cost me about $250 more per year than a "regular" policy. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

4x4American

Right.  Pay me now or pay me later.  In this day and age, if you're not fully covered, when the fit hits the shan, you could lose it all. 

The excavation company I work for, they had a big shiny red dump truck parked on the side of the road waiting to be loaded or waiting to dump, all but one tire was on the shoulder side of the white line.  Well a dumbass driver in her car slammed right into it, sued, and won 11 million bucks.  Ain't that some shiz?  Guess the insurance didn't help there.

Today on the way home I had that load of pine on, and this car backs out blindly into the middle of the road (55mph road)  there was snow on the road, I had all my brakes locked up, and my puny little dodge horn blaring.  She just stayed right there in the road and looked at me, like, what are you beeping at I live here, until she realized I couldn't stop in time then she moseyed on out of there.  I wanted to smash her face in I was livid.  The construction/excavation company wants me to drive their dump trucks, it things like this that make me say no.  I'm glad I was only going 40.
Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

red oaks lumber

i had a a few dealings with progressive, when the time came to file a claim,wow ;) i was treated like a person from a third world country. mind you no claim my was fault. my word of warning ... buyer be wear :) my regular auto ins. covers what ever is hooked to me, i believe its secura company
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

4x4American

Thanks, ROL.  I didn't get it yet, and I will be talking with the ins. agent this week.  My insurance is almost up so I need to get after it.
Boy, back in my day..

macpower

4x,
Just a thought..but if you have a business/general liability policy on your mill, can't they just add on your truck as another piece of equipment?
Purveyor of Stihl chain saws.
Thomas 6013 Band Mill, Kubota L3400DT, Fransgard V3004, 2 lazy horses and a red heeler

4x4American

I'm not sure, I use the Margeson & Associates insurance and I have been under the impression that they only do portable bandsaw insurance.
Boy, back in my day..

woodmills1

If you can meet their requirements for a policy, try farm family insurance.  I have enough land to qualify for one of their plans.  I have regular auto and coverage for towing and sawing.  I also bought a separate business liability policy.  I have never had a claim so cannot speak to that, but my rates seem to be good.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!