iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

One of the dangers of logging

Started by lyle niemi, March 11, 2015, 09:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyle niemi

redprospector

1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

gfadvm

WOW!  That thing is huge!  Did you bag her with your cant hook?

ncsawyer

Nice Cat!  Do you hunt them with dogs up there?
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

hunz

Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Percy

GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Chuck White

Wow, now that's a cat, I'd be watching too if there was one of them anywhere near "close by"!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

cbla

wow! must be hard trying to make a face notch thinking about that behind you!

fishfighter

justallan1

Big darned kitty!
While out fencing a few years ago I came up to where the fence and a rock cropping came together and I go walking around the rock trying to find a way up the hill and find a dug-out probably 4x6' and full of soft dirt. In the dirt is a few cat tracks probably 4" across. Believe this, I took a good look around and got that piece of fencing done and got elsewhere.
After thinking on it a bit, the direction it was open to was out of the wind and weather, so the tracks could have been there awhile, but who knows.

mesquite buckeye

That is a large one.
smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw smiley_eek_dropjaw

Our jaguars don't get that big. :o
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

red oaks lumber

just imagine the pile of dirt that cat scrapes up to cover it's pile  :D :D thats a very large cat :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

5quarter

Big cat indeed! must be a male. all I ever see around here are the smaller females. in fact, I don't think I've ever seen a male Mountain Lion.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

bandmiller2

I recon puddy would put a lot of distance between himself and running chainsaws. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

His chainsaw was purring like a kitten. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

YellowHammer

Quote from: red oaks lumber on March 12, 2015, 01:11:23 PM
just imagine the pile of dirt that cat scrapes up to cover it's pile  :D :D thats a very large cat :)
I was thinking the same thing, except that it might use the sawdust pile for kitty litter. 
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

redprospector

Ya know, now that I think about it, the man in the picture if far more amazing than the cat.
I figure that cat has to weigh at least 400 to 500 lbs., and that fellow is holding it up in a bear hug. Simply amazing strength if you ask me.  ;)
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

landscraper

Quote from: redprospector on March 14, 2015, 03:28:23 PM
I figure that cat has to weigh at least 400 to 500 lbs., and that fellow is holding it up in a bear hug. Simply amazing strength if you ask me.  ;)

Do they get that big - 500 lbs?  I remember hearing the fact that a mountain lion could lift and carry an adult human corpse up a tree, and that was equivalent to their own body weight. 
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

clww

No they don't get that large. A 250 male would be enormous. The biggest kitty in the Americas is the jaguar.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

warina drive

So let me get this correct,this beautiful animal was killed for what purpose.

beenthere

Depends on who you talk to, as to the "purpose".  The point is.. ? ?

There are legal hunting seasons for big cats in many places..
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Philngruvy

Quote from: warina drive on March 14, 2015, 06:35:44 PM

Amazingly enough, there are a lot of people that have the same attitude about cutting down trees. 
LT 15 18G
Bobcat 751

warina drive

After reading a bit on the subject specific to Alberta and their Mountain lion hunting program I became more informed.
I was under the impression that these cats where endangered/wrong.
I just think it is so beautiful and I am pretty sure we are giving them less room to live.
Not trying to start a debate just admiring nature

Philngruvy

Thanks for your tolerance.  I was also not trying to start a debate.  I think as we are all interested in the resource that this forum is centered on, I assume that we are all nature lovers and appreciate the gifts bestowed upon us.  I live in Western North Carolina high in the mountains near Mt.Mitchell, which is the tallest peak East of the Mississippi River.  There are reports of mountain lions in our community.  I would be furious if I heard of one being shot.  But this is not Alberta.
LT 15 18G
Bobcat 751

Peter Drouin

Do you think It would cost a lot to feed a pet like that? :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

wyowood

In the area that I live in northeast Wyoming we are getting over run with them, makes it tough to keep focused when you're in the woods cutting!

That's one of the reasons why I take my attack Corgis with me when I go out now!

landscraper

Quote from: Peter Drouin on March 15, 2015, 10:38:55 AM

No, not for the first little while at least.... it would be busy eating all your other pets first. :o

Peter Drouin

Quote from: landscraper on March 15, 2015, 06:44:09 PM
Quote from: Peter Drouin on March 15, 2015, 10:38:55 AM

No, not for the first little while at least.... it would be busy eating all your other pets first. :o

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

kensfarm

I'd get too tired having to carry a rifle & chainsaw.  Are they attracted to the deer eating the tree tops?  I'd hate to be his target..

Darrel

This kitty weighed in at 140 lbs and was shot by the government trapper on our property up on the hill above the blueberries. This cat had been killing the neighbors sheep and leaving them lay.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

thecfarm

I'm not scared of too many things dead,but that I feel I am. I have no idea what I would feel if I saw it in the woods.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

landscraper

Quote from: thecfarm on March 16, 2015, 07:30:32 PM
I have no idea what I would feel if I saw it in the woods.

Hopefully not it's teeth on your neck :o  If I lived somewhere that overlapped the habitat of mountain lions I'd not go out in the woods unarmed.  Not looking for one, but in case one was looking for me. 

tmarch

I've lived with them for years, not much of a problem.  They are just a part of nature, but still the 3 S's will come into play if they want to play with my livestock.  Had a horse that one "played" with a bit a couple years ago, he is a big gelding and a smaller horse would have been cat food.
Retired to the ranch, saw, and sell solar pumps.

Darrel

There are still big cats in the area, heard one just the other night. There ain't nothin that gives me chills up and down my spine like hearing one of those big kitties catawalling!  You just can't get back to the house quick enough.  I've seen them and wasn't to frightened but hearing one unexpectedly in the dark is quite another thing. You can't see it and you have no idea what to expect.
1992 LT40HD

Peter Drouin

I think It would be cool to see one in the yard. We have them in NH. But the fish & game says no. But they lie. :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Darrel

I've seen their tracks in the yard but didn't see one there.  They tell me that mountain lions are an endangered species and I say BOLOGNA!
1992 LT40HD

gfadvm

We have em here in NE Oklahoma.  My daughter and SIL watched one less than 100 yards from their house on the ranch near Morris, OK.  Right where my granddaughters ride their ponies!

Peter Drouin

I have no experience with them, But like all wild things it would run away from you.
I think. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

redprospector

Quote from: Darrel on March 16, 2015, 12:20:25 AM
This kitty weighed in at 140 lbs and was shot by the government trapper on our property up on the hill above the blueberries. This cat had been killing the neighbors sheep and leaving them lay.

That's a nice kitty! And I can believe it weighs 140. However it's not near as big as the OP, or the one beenthere linked to, and it was supposed to be 160.
Maybe they just don't get big enough around here for me to appreciate the pictures, but I've seen a couple of 150 lb. cats, and they weren't anywhere near as big as the OP.
I don't know? Call me skeptical I guess.
Or maybe it was really a 250 lb. cat in the 1st picture being held up by a 5'4" 125 lb. man. I don't know???
Regardless, this won't be the first time I've been wrong, but I'm calling trick photography.  :D

5quarter

Mountain Lions are definitely not endangered. but they are very elusive. for the longest time, Fish and game said there were none in NE. They have recently conceded that there are a few in the state  ::). A good rule of thumb: if you see one, assume there are at least 4 or 5 more living in the same general area. I live near a sheltered waterway that is used by every conceivable animal...including the big cats. I don't worry too much about them here as the food supply is plentiful.
As an aside, I saw a great documentary film on a Cougar and her cubs. The Female had just taken down a young deer and was getting ready to drag it off, when along comes a big male grizzly. The bear decides the deer is now his and takes a swipe or two at the cat. but instead of fleeing, she merely creeps backward about 10-15 feet and lays there. The grizzly slobbers all over the kill and proceeds to eat his fill. pausing only to snarl at the cat when she tries to creep up to steal a piece of meat. eventually, the bear does shove off. the cat eventually drags off what's left, but you had to feel bad for her. The only animal able to take her kill away within a 100 miles and there he was at just the right time.  :'(
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

jcbrotz

Quote from: Peter Drouin on March 16, 2015, 09:33:05 PM
I think It would be cool to see one in the yard. We have them in NH. But the fish & game says no. But they lie. :D :D :D :D

I don't want to see them. Pa says they are not here but even though you see them and they are not here you can't shoot them because they are federally protected, Then they say the only one here are released pets. I asked the game warden if they were his pets that the state was releasing to reintroduce to it natural environment. He did not like that :D
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

papow22

:D I thaught I taw a putty cat,We know over here in Hondo Alberta we have them like also.You just got to beware of them kitties  :D.....Did you get to keep it ,cause our fish cops just come and take them for themselves here,and we are not ALLOWED to keep them.
Lives to do sawdust,run a trapline,hunt big game,live life to it's most.Got 4 mills a circle mill,(2 band sawmills) Norwood's 2000, Trim Saw,Beam Machine (chainsaw mill).

papow22

Quote from: warina drive on March 14, 2015, 06:35:44 PM
THE PURPOSE IS TO PROTECT YOURSELF IF YOU ARE BEING HUNTED BY THEM,OR ANOTHER PURPOSE IS PROTECT YOUR GRAND KIDS,CAUE WOULD LIKE ONE THESE TO EAT YOUR KIDS OR YOUR LAP DOG FOR A NICE LITE SNACK
Lives to do sawdust,run a trapline,hunt big game,live life to it's most.Got 4 mills a circle mill,(2 band sawmills) Norwood's 2000, Trim Saw,Beam Machine (chainsaw mill).

lyle niemi

If you're working in the bush where the cats are known to be and you don't want to be eatin by them, bring a helper with a bad leg :snowball:

red

You don't have to be the Fastest

But you don't want to be the slowest
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Thank You Sponsors!