iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log tenon cutters

Started by Joey Grimes, December 25, 2015, 07:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kbeitz

You really want one with two handles to hold. I made a jig for my wood lathe to cut tenons.Doing it with a drill was scary.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

tawilson

I can put 2 pipe handles on it. I'm seeing what I have kicking around to make a jig and log support and if I come up with something I'll order the cutters. Thanks
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

forgeblast

I have the lee valley ones.  Before I got them I built a jig that would let me cut them on a table saw but I cannot find where I got the idea from.
The lee valley aka pencil sharpener ones are great.  
I also have tapered ones that I am going to use to make a few chairs.  

scouter Joe

You will have good control with the drill with out the pipes installed . I've used the same style drill for many years and other than it being a little harder to line and drill straight tenons you will be very happy with that style of Dewalt drill . scouter Joe

tawilson

The drill does work fine. I got the Lumberjack Industrial kit which they have on sale now for $399.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

LittleJohn

I prefer using a big heavy drill for tenon cutting, yeah it is a pain to get perfectly straight but I feel that the trigger control is better for speed of cutter control.  I am also not that comfortable around lathes, that's just me; have not tried the table saw approach.

Would say a tenon cutter 1" or smaller can be run by a cordless drill with a clutch, larger than that and you risk messing up the drill.  Mind you I only ever cut tenon on white (swamp) cedar and white birch; both VERY soft woods

cbla

I got my tenon cutters from lumberjack tools. They have good sales on around Christmas/ black Friday.

Black Creek

how about the tenonator?   I'm looking at them now and I like the pilot hole it needs.   Seems much easier to get the ends lined up  https://www.logwoofer.com/tenonator   https://www.logwoofer.com/plugins/show_image.php?id=149

TKehl

I have never used a tenonator, but I do like to sink heavy deck type screws into the ends of the tenons to keep them snug.  The pilot hole there would be detrimental for me...

I can see where the pilot hole would be useful for working at off angles though...  I use a similar technique for getting mortises going the right direction with a hole saw.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

luap

Quote from: Kbeitz on December 25, 2015, 11:14:35 PM
I use the lumberjack tenon bits but I dont use a drill.
I mount the tenon bit in my wood lathe chuck and hold the log.
I made a metal ring to slide the log into that hooks on the bed of the lathe
so it cant sling the log out of my hands.
I performed a similar operation but used my metal lathe. The cutter mounted in the chuck and the log clamped in a fixture on the tool post of the carriage. No holding anything in your hands and power feed if needed but advancing the carriage by hand worked great. 

Thank You Sponsors!