iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tablesaw "tune up" time

Started by oldsaw, May 03, 2009, 11:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldsaw

So, I've got this 30 year old Craftsman table saw I bought from Dad a couple of years back.  He bought it new about '77 or '78, but was never really happy with it.  When I first got it the arbor wasn't true, the belt had bad memory "bumps", the fence was worthless, the blade was shot, and it just plain old didn't cut right.

I went to work on it, tossing the stamped pulleys and getting a link belt, tossing the crappy rip fence for a Biesemeyer, truing the arbor, cleaning, lubing, and adjusting.  The only thing I never did was to really check the blade against the table.  Turns out it was off about 1/32" or so, not much, but enough to cause some binding in thick stock.  The motor needs new bushings, but I want to eventually just replace it with a bigger, better one. It was starting to gum up a bit so I tore it down and cleaned it up.  When I pulled the motor, I decided this was the time to check the blade to the table. 

It took 10 minutes with interruptions, and the difference in the test cut was very noticable.  Just loosened the bolts holding the table to the trunnion (well, 5 of the 6) and tapped it into alignment, using a rafter square and the edge of the table as a guide, making sure I was missing any teeth on the blade with the square.

Don't be a bonehead like me, check this out on your table whether it's new or 30+ years old.  Not hard to do and the payoff is huge.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

CHARLIE

Wow! That's impressive. I think it is neat that you restored an old Craftsman Tablesaw to better than new condition. You'll enjoy using it just knowing what you did to it.  I used to have an early '80s Craftsman tablesaw that was their top ot the line at the time. I always had problems with the pulleys coming loose. I ended up selling it to my son for a dime, which he never did give me. >:(      ;D  I enjoyed reading all that you did to restore that old saw. Thanks!
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

LeeB

I had a craftsman of about the same vintage that I bought in the early 80's. I let my dad borrow it once and when he brought it back a couple years later he had burnt up the motor. I never did replace the mototr, but held on to the saw for many years after that fully intending to rebuild it. I finaly gave it away 3 years ago before moving to Arkansas. I don't know if the fellow ever redid it or not.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

CHARLIE

If I ever borrow something and it breaks, I'll either repair it or buy a new one to return. I've taught my children the same thing.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

LeeB

I recon my dad figured I tore up enough of his stuff over the years that we were even on that one. He never saved a penny and didn't have money to fix it anyway.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: CHARLIE on May 04, 2009, 01:20:07 AM
If I ever borrow something and it breaks, I'll either repair it or buy a new one to return. I've taught my children the same thing.

Dad lived by that rule to, only his brother and nephews never seemed to follow that philosophy. Always brought back stuff broke or worse than it left.  Actually, it was more like, had to go retrieve it. ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

oldsaw

Quote from: CHARLIE on May 04, 2009, 12:54:48 AM
Wow! That's impressive. I think it is neat that you restored an old Craftsman Tablesaw to better than new condition. You'll enjoy using it just knowing what you did to it.  I used to have an early '80s Craftsman tablesaw that was their top ot the line at the time. I always had problems with the pulleys coming loose. I ended up selling it to my son for a dime, which he never did give me. >:(      ;D  I enjoyed reading all that you did to restore that old saw. Thanks!

I just did the math.  I could buy a new one that probably wasn't built as well (outside of $1500-2000 I didn't have to spend), or dump some money into the old one that I knew had some issues, but that was a good foundation to work with.  I expected the motor to be better than it was, so eventually that will be replaced.  Want to run a couple of 220 runs into the garage/workshop, so I'd like to upgrade to at least a 1 1/2 horse, then still have an outlet for a dust collection system of some capacity.  Preparing for the future.
I'm taking the day off of work today, "boss sanctioned" even (he called me this monring and told me to stay home and play).
Mark

DanG

I have one of those old Craftsman saws, and I can't get the pulleys to stay put either.  No matter how tight I twist those setscrews, it will loosen in just a few minutes and start sliding toward the end of the shaft. ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

LeeB

DanG, try drilling a dimple on the shaft and putting some locktite on the set screw.

beenthere

I solved the "walking" pulley problem doing what oldsaw did...swapping out the stamped pulley's with machined ones,  and getting a link belt. Takes the vibrations out of the system.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

oldsaw

Yep, those stamped pulleys are garbage, put them where they belong.  I bought the kit from Woodcraft, it wasn't too much money, but made a world of difference.

Worked on some rip fence improvements today.  I'll get pics when I'm done.  Essentially put a form fitted MDF riser on the top of the rip fence and ran two T-tracks down it.  Saw it in a magazine recently and thought it was cool.  I adapted my sacrificial fence to it, now need to make a rabbeting hold down and a fixture to mount other crap.  Could have used this while making Boy Scout camp boxes a few months ago.

Mark

SwampDonkey

It's good that you started this thread oldsaw. It's one of those one's you just might be digging for one day. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!