iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sam Maloof passed away at 93

Started by Modat22, May 27, 2009, 01:47:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modat22

Sam Maloof 1916-2009 passed away.

He was very well known for his chairs and organic looking joinery.
remember man that thy are dust.

Dodgy Loner

I was at my parents' place last weekend and read about it in their local paper.  I gasped when I read it and I think I startled my dad.  I knew he was in his 90s, but he always kind of seemed immortal.  His work was absolutely inspiring, and by all accounts he was one of the friendliest people you could ever meet.  He will be missed :'(
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

DanG

It is always sad to see the great ones departing this world.  What a wonderful legacy this one left behind, though!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

blame

MattJ

Thought I'ld share my Maloof story.  Saw him at the Smithsonian back about five years ago, he was giving a seminar about his work.  I talked to him before the meeting and got a couple of my books signed, and he said if I am ever in S. California stop by.

A year later I was near his place for work, and made the trip over to his place for a tour of his historic house (open for the public with guided tour).  While I was waiting for the tour I saw him walking up to the shop with about 50lb of boards under one arm.  For being near 90 he looked about 65 and still had veins popping out of his biceps.  He stopped and said hi, and I mentioned how I saw him at the show the year before.  We talked for a few minutes and then he said "want to see my new house I built, here are my keys, go let yourself in and just leave the keys in the door."   That type of trust and openess was amazing, and he wanted to share what he had with anyone who was interested.

ellmoe

I read an article about him a couple of months ago. He said, "People used to ask me if I'd be finished with their furniture before they died. Now they ask me, will I get my furniture before You die!"  ;D

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Ironwood

Ow man, I had not heard that yet. Great guy. My meeting him mimicked MattJ's. I met him at the Western Design Conference in Wyoming three years ago. What a National Treasure. He was one of the judges along with one of my friends who had invited me out to the event. One spry son of a gun for sure. What a legecy, I also saw his retrospective at the Renwick (Smithsonian) a few years ago. He signed my portfolio in Wyoming. What a presence ..................Dang. Dang :(.

You know the other thing I admired him for (besides his humility, and peacefulness) was his remarrying after his wife had passed. This guy had a PASSION for living. Even in his 90's he charged on. .......Dang, so glad to have met him.  DANG

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

TheWoodsman

I never had the opportunity to meet Sam but had read his books and tried to keep up on him.  When I read the news of his death I really felt like I had just lost a good friend.  We'll miss him. 
2009 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28, WM-DH4000 dry kiln, & lots of other great "toys"

I am the Woodsman, the four-wheelin', tree-farmin', custom-furniture-makin' descendant of Olaf "The Woodcutter" Ingjaldsson.

Thank You Sponsors!