iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Trailer

Started by steve marek, January 27, 2012, 10:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve marek

I am in need of log trailer.  I was thinking of buying a deck-over and wondering what size and brand of winch to use.  Or does anyone have a better idea for setting up a trailer for hauling medium size logs??

WM LT40HD logrite ach 718 woodmaster timber framing tools 3000 ford tractor 359 395 husky chainsaw woodmizer e50 single blade edger woodmizer 260 moulder 2538 mahindra tractor kd 250 kiln

Bump

I messed around had spent way more then needed going small. About 6 yr ago I got a deck over 25k tandom with duals goose neck with a beaver tail been happy every sense it will hall all my truck can pull.

Bump

25' been a few times I wished I went longer but for all the places I take it in tow with my Tractor pulling it the length has been perfect.

Tom the Sawyer

Steve,

Consideration should be given to how you will load, and unload, your trailer.  In my situation I don't have any trouble unloading logs that I transport but I don't usually have loading equipment available when I load the logs.  I looked at deckover trailers but the ones I found were 32-38" high.  If you have a hydraulic loading arm or boom then that may not be much of a problem.  I use a winch and a log loading arch similar to the ones many other forum members have built.  It would have taken a huge arch to lift a 36" diameter log high enough to get it on to a deckover trailer. 

I ended up buying a 20' flatbed trailer where the deck sits between the fenders.  The length includes a 2' dovetail so the height at the rear of the trailer is about 14" and remainder of the deck is at 18".  This also means a lower center of gravity.  The swivel mounting brackets I had fabricated for the base of the arch arms also have mount welded on for a flip-down 5000 lb. jacks.  Lifting a big log on the extreme end of your trailer not only places a lot of stress on the dovetail but also pivots the length of the trailer on the axles and will lift the rear of your tow vehicle if you are not careful. 

I know pictures would be helpful but that trailer is sitting in a corner of the barn and pics might be difficult to get.   ;)

Tom
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

ahlkey

If you have the ability to load and unload I would second the Gooseneck trailer for logs.  I do have a deckover 14K equipment trailer but would not recommend that for logs unless you are only looking to carry a few small logs.  The Gooseneck is the way to go and the one pictured is rated at 23K and along with the flatbed truck allows me carry four full cords.  The problem of course is you need a larger truck to handle the larger trailer.  In addtion make sure you have some good log bunks so that your trailer doesn't get all torn up.   I use the same log bunks on my custom  trailer shown below that has a 1400 Metavic loader that is great for around the sawmill.  However, when it comes to pulpwood or firewood logs I always have it hired out for loads of 12 cords or more.   Hope this helps

mad murdock

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Steve Marek. Great place to be.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

DR Buck

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, steve marek.

Mine is certainly not a log trailer, but it is what I use to haul logs.

There are many more pictures in my gallery showing loading (parbuckling) and hauling logs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DR Buck

Quote from: Magicman on January 28, 2012, 10:38:38 PM
Welcome to the Forestry Forum, steve marek.

Mine is certainly not a log trailer, but it is what I use to haul logs.

There are many more pictures in my gallery showing loading (par-buckling) and hauling logs.

Magicman,    I found the method you are using to feed the winch when par-buckling not good as the cable bundles up on one side of the winch and won't spool evenly.  What works better is to use a 2nd block at the back end of the trailer placed in the middle of the trailor on a chain with about 1 ft of chain to the block.  Run the cable off of the winch spool to the rear block,  up to the block mounted on the opposite side of the ramps, then under the cable going to the rear block  out to the logs you are loading.

This allows the cable to spool flat and even onto the winch.  Going under the front-to-back cable will help lift it out of the way when the logs rolls onto the trailer.   

On the trailer in the picture you could hook a chain across the end to the tops of the side rails and hook the 2nd block in the middle of it.  This would help some in elevating the cable clear of the logs rolling on the trailer bed.

steve marek

Thanks for all the great ideas!! I have lots to work with now! Thanks to all for a warm welcome to the forum.   :)
WM LT40HD logrite ach 718 woodmaster timber framing tools 3000 ford tractor 359 395 husky chainsaw woodmizer e50 single blade edger woodmizer 260 moulder 2538 mahindra tractor kd 250 kiln

treefarmer87

welcome to the forum :)  The JMS log trailers were at the farm show in va 2 weeks ago. they are a pretty slick little rig :)
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Magicman

You are correct DR_Buck.  My cable does stack up on one side of the winch drum and sometimes logs get on top of the winch line but neither has really been a problem.  When I get done, I just unwind it and rewind it straight.

I have a second block, so maybe sometime when I get time I'll weld a short chain/hook on the rear and give it a shot.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave VH

what size winch are you guys using to parbuckle the way you do?  I'm in the market for the right winch for the job.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Magicman

Mine is an 8K Mile Marker and it is PLENTY strong enough.

John Mc

Quote from: Magicman on January 29, 2012, 02:00:07 PM
I have a second block, so maybe sometime when I get time I'll weld a short chain/hook on the rear and give it a shot.   :)

How hard would it be to just re-aim the winch towards the block you already have?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

brendonv

I'll jump on the wagon.  I love this trailer.  I don't love trying to pry answers to questions of out the manufacturer.

"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Magicman

Quote from: John Mc on January 29, 2012, 05:25:08 PM
How hard would it be to just re-aim the winch towards the block you already have?

Not an option.  I have hooks on each side of the trailer so I can load from either side.  Actually, I do not have a problem with my present setup.  Sure, the cable stacks up on one side of the spool, but it has not caused me any problems.  Adding that second pulley idea is interesting, but not a necessity.

DR Buck

Quote from: Dave VH on January 29, 2012, 02:31:38 PM
what size winch are you guys using to parbuckle the way you do?  I'm in the market for the right winch for the job.

I have the 12000# MileMarker.  I run it off of the knuckleboom loader hydraulics using a pressure reducer.  I works great for dragging logs close enough to use the loader.  I also use it for par-buckling large logs that are to heavy to lift.   We've been able to load some realy big stuff that probably made the load way over the rated trailer capacities using the winch.

brendonv

Looks like my JMS I bought through Baileys.  What questions do you need answered?

brendonv

The grapple joystick doesn't return to center.  I asked how to get it apart.  They sent a message back saying "you can replace the spring, do you want to buy one from us?"   :)

www.VorioTree.com

DR Buck

Quote from: brendonv on January 30, 2012, 06:08:09 AM
The grapple joystick doesn't return to center.  I asked how to get it apart.  They sent a message back saying "you can replace the spring, do you want to buy one from us?"   :)

Mine came with all the documentation for the controls.   They were made in Italy and the documents and diagrams are written Italian.   :D

logman81

Contact AM MACHINERY they can help, they have parts for the jms trailers.
Precision Firewood & Logging

brendonv

That's who I'm dealing with, logman.   ;)

They make the trailer as far as I know.

www.VorioTree.com

logman81

Precision Firewood & Logging

brendonv

Forum get hacked?  Whats up with all the slang?

www.VorioTree.com

Sixacresand

Quote from: DR_Buck on January 28, 2012, 09:17:19 PM
Here's my solution

Same kind of rig I use.   Works great.  I also have a homemade hand crank with nylon straps that i use more often than the winch.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!