iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Running ring chians on the rear

Started by overtime, February 15, 2012, 06:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

overtime

I need a new set of chains for the rear of my c5 thinking about geting ring chains I have single diamond ice chains now just looking for a litle advise I seen it done but dont know how they work on frozen ground and ice. Any input would be great. Thanks

bill m

Ring chains are good for deep snow, mud and bare ground. They are not good on ice and frozen ground.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

lumberjack48

Hi overtime, Bear Paws work good their there just a little rough riding. I have never used ice chains, they might be better. I would load the rear tires and run chains on the front.
I knew a guy with a C5 that had Bear Paws on all four, when he went by in third gear it looked like he was riding a horse.  8)
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

JDeere

I run ring chains on the rear of my skidder mainly because it came that way when I bought it. It has ice chains on the front which I definately don't recommend. They pick up every piece of slash on the trail and whip it around.
2013 Western Star, 2012 Pelletier trailer, Serco 7500 crane, 2007 Volvo EC 140, 2009 John Deere 6115D, 2002 Cat 938G, 1997 John Deere 540G, 1996 Cat D-3C, 1995 Cat 416B, 2013 Cat 305.5E

timbuck2

Yeah, rings on the front ice on the back.   New kind of rings available, the rings are small, still do the job and aren't so clunky.   Ice stretch out alot and are hard to keep tight, I jumped on a buddy's 440c last week and was kidding about turning a corner and the chains would follow along later.   The big skidders today don't need rings cause they weigh so much, all ice all around.  I.m a fanatic about keeping chains tight, get a chain jack and crank em up tight.

Thank You Sponsors!