iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

first break down with the HF mill,fixed no thanks to woodland mills

Started by hunterbuild, March 18, 2012, 01:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hunterbuild

Had the threads on the height adjustment fail on Thursday. Called HF of course on back order. maybe available mid April. Called woodland mills begged for the part. explained I was in the middle of a project that I had to have saw working right away. They would not sell it to me period. Made a big point about the HF was junk and designed to fail. The part is a brass worm nut on both saws. The saw come from the same factory in China and other than the motor and the lube tank are as close to the same as possible, so their not saying anything good about their saw. But my point is this was an emergency and I would help my fierce competitor out in a situation like this any day. After trying the bigger machine shops out and not having any luck I tried a small shop, West River Welding and Machine in Rapid City SD. He didn't hesitate,said it would run about $100 to cut the new nut out of steel. I might mention it was a left hand square tread cut at an odd number of treads per inch, not anything you can get off the shelve. I told him the sob story, he says Fridays are always days for need it right away. I said I could wait till next week. He said he always figures for it and can do it that day. I picked it up this morning, works perfect, should last a long time. On a side note if woodland wants to send me their brass nut I would be glad to try it out and give a fair evaluation if it is different or better than the HF part,or any other part they would like me to compare. Back to sawing tomorrow. Thanks to the small guys who do the job when you need help. Sorry if I ran on a bit.

ChuckinVa

I don't think you are going to find much sympathy here. First of all HF, some of their products work for their intended purpose others do not. Second you are attacking Woodland ( A sponsor of this site) for not providing a part for a saw they didn't sell and expecting them to take on liability for you because you have a job you need to complete. I am glad you were able to get someone to manufacturer something that will work for you. I would have a little concern about replacing a brass fitting with one made from steel as steel tends to corrode faster than brass does. Glad you are back up and ready to saw again.

hunterbuild

I can understand that, but I always feel we should help each other out when we can. I was just asking to buy a nut not a grantee. The bolt is made of steel so a steel nut should be OK, not so much a corrosion problem where it is at . The machinist said it was more to keep to from binding. Not so much for sympathy as letting people know on How the HF is doing as there was some interest on how it will stand up. I sure can't brag on their customer service as they don't have the part.

beenthere

The important part of this is that you are up and running.  That is good to know. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Armand Tatro

Once again the friendly local machinest and/or blacksmith saves the day!  Their is still a need for these shops just as there is a need for woodworkers, carpentors, and other craftsmen willing to take on small (and sometimes not so small) jobs.  If a person is willing to work with their hands as well as minds we will surive and prosper.  Armand

albirk

make sure you keep some lube on the threads (steel on steel) so you don't end up with them galled together

shinnlinger

It bothers me when people continually gripe about hf and other cheap tools.  The fact is they are so cheap the buyer has to know they are crap(and well documented just how bad hf can be). How can anyone expect a cheap tool to hold up like a name brand one 5x its cost???
There is a place for cheap stuff, but don't complain when it doesn't work out
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

bandmiller2

Hunter glad your back in service. How do you know their the same mill.? The Woodland mill seem well thought out and built. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

customsawyer

I am glad that you are up and running. I would get to be good friends with that machinist. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

hunterbuild

One our members traced it back to the factory in China. I don't remember the post,it was one of the first I posted when I got the saw. I must say the Chinese are no dummies they cut this part so you can't get it off the shelve. I think I found the problem and will be reporting on it as soon as I verify it. My new forever machinist said to use anti-seize lube and I should be good.

hunterbuild

As to cheap stuff and griping. I knew full well what I was buying when I got the HF mill. So far I'm amazed by this little mill. Will I have good service from HF? So far no! I will have to rely on my self to fix. I could not have built this saw for the less than $1800 I now have in it. Most of the saw is straightforward and will last for ever. The bearing on the band wheels I will have to see if they are standard,if not I will keep them on hand. Lot of members have expressed interest in how it works so I'm trying to be honest in my evaluation as I go along.

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Okrafarmer

Oops. I knew that. Harbor Fright. The best place not to shop.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

mikeb1079

QuoteWhat is HF?

"hardly fixable"   :D :D  sorry i couldn't resist.  on a serious note my impression is not that the op was complaining that the part broke rather that the mill manufacturer who had the part (i assume based on the op) wouldn't sell him said part.  IF they had it, i agree with hb that it would have been a gesture of good business to supply any part they had in stock even if they reminded him that their mills were better made.   :) :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Magicman

For whatever the reason, I dislike seeing Woodland Mills being dragged into the problem even if they did have a part that might have fixed the HF.  I certainly understand customer service, goodwill, and brotherly love, but it still was not their problem.

Hunterbuild, I am glad that you have a machinist friend that gives good advice and can keep you sawing.   smiley_thumbsup

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Hunterbuild....where do you live?  I'd like to know what part of the country you are in and what type of logs you are sawing. smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Cedarman

There are ethical competitors and unethical ones.  I have had both.  I don't mind helping ethical competitors.  I won't help the unethical ones. 
One time a person came into the mill and asked for some long cedar and needed it quickly to finish a job.  In the course of the conversation it became obvious that they had bought most of their material from a you know who.  They had thought I was too high.  No big deal on that. The customer was in no way unethical, but he wanted to put his problem on my back. I felt no compulsion to work extra even though I could have.  If I was going to  work extra into the evening, then I would do it for regular customers.  Sorry, but I was just too busy to work him in.
Too often in life, people have a monkey (problem) on their back.  They will do their best to transfer this monkey to you if you let them.  Never let them.  It is their monkey and they get to keep it.  This advice which I received many years ago has served me well.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

zopi

if the HF mill is a chinese copy of the woodland..I don't really blame them for not selling the part...

having said that..I own quite a few chinese tools, some of which are pretty decent, and some are crap...I have a lathe and mill that together cost half as much as would have been the case had I bought higher quality...and for as much as I use them..they have amortized quite well.

Glad you are up and running!
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Cedarman on March 18, 2012, 05:43:50 PM

Too often in life, people have a monkey (problem) on their back.  They will do their best to transfer this monkey to you if you let them.  Never let them.  It is their monkey and they get to keep it.  This advice which I received many years ago has served me well.

I know exactly what you mean!

customsawyer

I think he said the machinist was in Rapid City SD. this should put him close to that area. Great for motorcycle riding. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Peter Drouin

You get what you pay for, junk is junk Buy the good stuff made in the USA :D :D :D :D :D ;D Shinnlinger Im with you on that one :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Texas Ranger

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 18, 2012, 06:01:07 PM

I have a problem seperating the monkies :D :D :D
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Texas Ranger on March 18, 2012, 07:18:12 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 18, 2012, 06:01:07 PM

I have a problem seperating the monkies :D :D :D

Here, I'll help you:

Micky Dolenz, Davy Jones, Peter Tork, and Michael Nesmith

:D :D :D

hunterbuild

I'm in the Black Hills near MT-Rushmore. The saw is up and running, cutting good. I think the problem is poor milling on the shaft, there is a spot in the middle where it is harder to turn, causing a lot of stress on the treads. The brass treads were just broke off after a while. I hope the steel treads will hold up better. I will order a new shaft to see if this is just a fluke,if not I will have a new one milled here. I think we might all be surprised by how many foreign parts are in made in America items. I think we have to learn to buy and fix.  :D

Thank You Sponsors!