iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What are these?

Started by Busysawyer, April 15, 2018, 09:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busysawyer

First one I think is basswood. I am new to identifying trees so please be easy on me.

Next looks similar but a little different. 
Hickory maybe?

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

xlogger

here in nc I would say it looks like poplar
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Pjames

Klunker

He's in Michigan, Not what we call poplar up here. Poplar=Aspen in the Great Lakes area.

I would say Ash 1st, possibly Basswood altho Basswood has a habit of growing in clumps, not always but usually.

Southside

I agree with both of you. I thought tulip poplar until I saw the location is Michigan then Ash came to mind. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Busysawyer

I have to remove these trees to clear space for the milling project. I cut the first one and believe it to be bass woodwood. The heartwood is yellow. The second tree looks similar in the pics but in person the bark looks quite a bit different. Does bass wood normally have a yellow core.  One of the reasons I thought the second was hickory is that it looks the same or very similar to one of the larger hickory that was marked by the tree buyer we had here.

Dave Shepard

Those look like tulip and ash to me. Pignut hickory can look like ash.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bill m

Looks like Tulip to me. How about a close up picture of the branches and buds.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Busysawyer

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 16, 2018, 08:06:19 PM

I thought the second was pig nut hickory. Does tulip have yellow heartwood?
Quote from: bill m on April 17, 2018, 06:23:17 PM
Looks like Tulip to me. How about a close up picture of the branches and buds.

I would but I already cut and burned the tops of the second one in the pictures. Will be cutting the one I think I pig nut hickory as soon as the weather breaks and will post pics of branches. 

WDH

Yellow poplar, the aspens, and hickory all have alternating branches.  The branching in ash is opposite.

The first pic looks like yellow poplar and second one ash. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Busysawyer

Quote from: WDH on April 17, 2018, 08:42:10 PM
Yellow poplar, the aspens, and hickory all have alternating branches.  The branching in ash is opposite.

The first pic looks like yellow poplar and second one ash.
Is yellow poplar the same as tulip?  We had a tree buyer mark a few large poplar to buy and the had a much chunkier three dimensional bark. I realize bark can look quite a bit different between an 18in dbh tree and a 48in dbh tree. The large trees he wanted to buy and said were poplar looked like this pic.

Here is a pic of my son standing near one of the trees I was told was tulip poplar

Busysawyer

I also found this picture.  The one on the right looks like the smaller tree I'm calling bass wood and the left looks like the larger trees we have that I was told tulip poplar.

Dave Shepard

Yellow poplar and tulip are the same, liriodendron tulipifera. It is often yellow, but it can also have greens, browns, and purples in the lumber. It is softer than ash or hickory. Basswood does not have very distinct grain, and around here, is full of sapsucker holes.

Busysawyer

Quote from: Dave Shepard on April 17, 2018, 09:35:50 PM
Yellow poplar and tulip are the same, liriodendron tulipifera. It is often yellow, but it can also have greens, browns, and purples in the lumber. It is softer than ash or hickory. Basswood does not have very distinct grain, and around here, is full of sapsucker holes.
Thank you. It's kinda funny I had to Google sap sucker and I found out that I've been calling people something I didn't even know what it was. "Ya yellow bellied sap sucker you" ive used that phrase I don't even know how many times and I finally found out where it came from. Apparently they are a woodpecker common to Michigan.  We have numerous pileated and black back wood peckers on the property but don't know if I've seen any yellow bellied sapsuckers. I'll keep my out for them from now on. Look like some really destructive little 8!@#%^&*.

WDH

Basswood also has alternate branching. Look at the branching.  If ash, it will be opposite.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Busysawyer

Well I could tell right away when I started cutting the second tree that it was not very hard wood. After I dropped it i was able to see the branches and the flowers. Tulip poplar it is. At least I'm pretty sure.

Clark

Basswood buds will be red. None of the trees have bark that I would identify as basswood.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

WDH

The yellow poplar bud is valvate, like a ducks bill.  At the base of the leaf petiole, there is a circle that goes all the way around the stem.  It is called a stipular scar, and encircling the twig at the leaf petiole is a characteristic of the Magnolia Family.  Yellow poplar is in the Magnolia Family.  Also those fruiting structures in the pic are definitely yellow poplar.  You can see that fruiting structure in the pics on this link.

Liriodendron tulipifera Fact Sheet

DelawhereJoe

Your little flowers in your last pic tell me its tulip poplar,  I don't know of any other tree with them. That spike and what looks like petals around it, the petals are the seed kinda like a maple "helicopter / whirly-bird " seeds.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

KEC

Note that Tulip has white is the bottom of the furrows in the bark, tends to grow very straight, and has a symetrical crown. In the fall you can pick them out with the yellow leaves. When cut, the color of the wood changes from what it looks like fresh-cut after a few days.

Thank You Sponsors!