iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

08 F350 6.4 Diesel primary fuel pump

Started by MartyParsons, July 17, 2018, 03:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyParsons

Hello, 
  Truck shut down twice. Engine would not crank. 

Cleared the code and everything worked ok. 
Went up the mountain loaded. Engine acted as if fuel filter was getting dirty. Keep going on 200 mile adventure. No other issues. 
Changed fuel filters and engine would not start, it would crank but no fuel to the secondary filter. Removed the fuel pump on the frame under the drivers seat. All good. I hot wired the pump and primed everything, truck ran but the code came back and engine would not crank. Found that the primary fuel pump was not getting power. 
Down loaded the manual from All Data DIY and started checking. Removed all electrical plugs to trace where the power was not getting to the pump from. 
 What a mess. 

Found this under the radiator. Purple with White stripe. The only issue was that there were 5 wires the same. 

Four rolls of black tape and the truck should be ready for another 200K 

Hope this helps.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

sprucebunny

You are very patient and persistent to find that !

There was no wrap or loom on all those wires ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

MartyParsons

Hello,
  Yes the purple wire was buried in the harness. It did have lots of tape and a sheath covering it. Not sure if I can explain.
M
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Kindlinmaker

Thanks for sharing. I try to make notes about all the 6.4 issues I hear of and there sure seem to be a lot.  My '09 550 is a work beast but the 6.4  Powerstroke would challenge the Pope's patience.  
If you think the boards are twisted, wait until you meet the sawyer!

firefighter ontheside

Interesting Marty.  I sold my 6.4 to my neighbor about 6 months ago and bought a 6.7.  I'll remember this if he has a problem like that.  I never did in the 169,000 miles that I had it.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

scsmith42

Marty, thanks for the education!  Nice job on that troubleshooting.

I just upgraded the tune in my '08 F450 with the 6.4, and replaced a rotor and rear brake pads this weekend.  Last month had to replace the fan because one of the sensors was going bad.  Also had to replace one of the brake pressure sensors.

I sure do like the truck and plan to keep it for a long time.  

Last year we went through the engine and did a complete rebuild, addressing all known weak areas so it should be good for 300K more miles.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

MartyParsons

Hello,
  Just a note. I noticed when the truck came back from new heads etc that the engine would not start as quickly. It now starts almost instantly. 4000 miles since the repair and going strong. There is a lot of negative on the 6.4 out there, mine has served me well.
Marty

Thank You Sponsors!