iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Photos of a visit to a new Frame

Started by Jim_Rogers, November 22, 2004, 12:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Last Friday, I took a ride to a site where a new frame had be erected, to visit a timber framer and drop off a boring machine he was buying.
This timber framer is Josh Jackson.
Recently there was mention of an article in Fine Home Building magazine, but I can't seem to find it here on this forum. But anyway the article was written by Will Beemer, executive director of the Timber Framers Guild. And in that article were some photos of a timber framer cutting joints and making mortises for a small frame for a shed.
I personally haven't read the article, yet. But I saw the magazine and article as I was standing in line at the check out counter at Home Cheapo, where my wife and I were buying a gift card for my relatives who live in PA.
Josh Jackson was the timber framer in the photos in the article.
Josh Jackson teaches all kinds of timber framing at several different schools around the country.
He is known for his work in using non straight pieces of wood.

Here are some photos of this house and frame:

Above is a shot of the bottom of the spiral stair case.
Below is the upper level of the same.

The tread supports are cut into the center wooden post and the balusters are copper pipe. The entire unit had just been installed it.

While I was there I helped them install a window on the second floor of this house.

This house was suppose to be 8 sided, but one corner didn't get made correctly to finish it out with 8 sides so it's really a seven sided house and frame.

Here is a shot of a post from first floor:

Here is more:

Above is a shot of where two non 90° corners join. To make this easier to do the joinery and assemble they took a large post and cut it so that it had 5 sides and one side has the right angle so that the timbers could join this post with regular straight tenons.
At the top you can see where they cut away part of the post to allow the anchor beam tenon to come threw.

Knowing that the timbers are going to shrink, they accent the scarf joint by chamfering the edges where the two timbers meet. This was an interesting detail.

Josh and his partner Ben have a web site that is: Humble Abode.biz

I hope you enjoyed this short tour of a new frame.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

raycon

The accent line or shadow line did not show up to well in the picture.
How does it look in person?  Interesting. Thanks for the pics.  
Lot of stuff..

Jim_Rogers

Ray:
Here is a close up of the joint:

Can you see the chamfer around the joint now?

The point about doing this is that the wood is going to shrink. The joint is going to open, by chamfering around the joint and accenting it, the gap doesn't look so bad when it opens.
And it is somewhat defused or disguised by the chamfer.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Timber_Framer

Intersting frame, thanks for sharing!
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Thank You Sponsors!