iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logosol planer molder

Started by Wmivey, February 23, 2017, 05:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wmivey

Does anyone in the group have a Logosol planer molder? I've looked at information on line for a while, but have never seen one in person. The videos on their site seem to only show soft woods getting molded. I'm wondering if it would handle oak or other harder species. I'm interested if it is suitable for dressing lumber, in one pass, on two sides. Is there one operating in the south east?  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Brad_bb

I have the Woodmizer MP100 planer/molder for sawmill.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

TKehl

There's more discussion in the "drying and processing" section of the forum.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/board,8.0.html

There are several people here that have them.  I think harder wood mostly requires sharp cutters, slower feeds, and smaller bites.  Many report skip planing one side through a regular planer to get a uniform thickness beneficial as well.  That's all from reading and Youtube though, not personal experience.

The "Timber Green Forestry" site has good info as well, but they are based in WI.

Wouldn't hurt to look at a Baker 412 as well.  A 412 is on my long term plan/wish list. 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

ellmoe

I have one , not used much, as I have a higher production Weinig. The Logosol is simple to use, can cut handle a much wider board than the Weinig, but will not "hawg off " alot of wood. It will cut hardwood fine, but only a little at a time.
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

tacks Y

I have one also but have not used it yet. Hope to make hard wood flooring with it. I would not plan heavy cuts, they are not built that heavy.

Will_Johnson

Depending on your time-frame I hear there might be a very nice made-in-USA option for you coming out in the very near future...

:)

barbender

I think you've got us all interested, Will ???
Too many irons in the fire

TKehl

In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

thechknhwk

I pre-plane all my hardwoods down to about 15/16 and straight edge to uniform blank widths before trying to run them thru the logosol otherwise it will give you indigestion.  It is definitely more forgiving with softwoods, but straight edging to uniform blank width is a must if you want straight pieces out the other end.

barbender

A buddy that has a Logosol always throws his lumber back on the WM and re-edges the boards straight after drying. He also didn't like full 1" lumber if he was planing 3/4" paneling, and that was in softwood.
Too many irons in the fire

thechknhwk

Quote from: barbender on February 25, 2017, 07:53:26 PM
A buddy that has a Logosol always throws his lumber back on the WM and re-edges the boards straight after drying.

I do that or use the track saw and table saw; it is slower, but sometimes it's cold outside;) or it's a small amount of boards that don't justify getting the mill out and setting up.

Darrel

I'm watching this thread with interest as there is a 4 - 6 head moulder in my future.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

DGK

I mill my 1" softwood siding boards destined for the PH260 at 7/8"s (1" less the blade kerf). A single pass is all it needs to be profiled down to 3/4". If your boards are sawn flat, and you have a straight edge, they will come out great. I usually re-edge on the wood-mizer after drying. If you put a crooked board in the planer, a crooked board will come out.
Doug
Yukon, Canada

LT40G38 modified to dual pumped hydraulic plus, HR120 Resaw, EG200 Edger, Bobcat S185,Bobcat S590, Logosol PH260M3, Sthil MS660's, MS460,MS362's MS260, Trailtech dump trailer, F350, F700 Tilt-Deck log/Lumber Hauler, JD440B Skidder, Naarva S23C Processor

Thank You Sponsors!