iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl elastrostart?

Started by minesmoria, March 16, 2005, 06:12:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

minesmoria

I have an stihl 044 and most of the time it is very hard to start it rips your fingers off almost, high compression i guess.

I was wondering if the new stihl elastrostart would make a difference?

StihlCarver046

It would help how much I dont know. I have never thought that 044s were THAT hard to pull maybe there is something wong with the recoil. 440s had a decomp valve so I guess starting was an issue.

Quartlow

I think you need to eat more grits  :D :D  My nephew starts my 075 all the time, just grabs it and gives it a yank, I on the other hand plant my knee firmly on top of the saw grab the front handle  push in the compression release and pray, of course he is younger and bigger than me  ;D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

minesmoria

Quote from: StihlCarver046 on March 16, 2005, 08:57:53 PM
It would help how much I dont know. I have never thought that 044s were THAT hard to pull maybe there is something wong with the recoil. 440s had a decomp valve so I guess starting was an issue.

I pull the rope half way and then it stops something  makes it bang and smoke comes out of muffler.

I replaced the whole starter but it still does the same thing.

Or well i an selling this and keeping my husky much better!

sawguy21

Quartlow, yer nephew does not grab and yank an 075 like that just from eating grits. He has a secret weapon. :D That was one of the most difficult  mechanical S.O.B.'s I have ever dealt with. Especially when chain oil leaked into the crankcase. My fingers hurt thinking about it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

KiwiCharlie

Im with Corley5,
If it goes 'bang' and 'smoke comes out', Id say its not the starter thats the problem!  :o :D  You proven that anyway by replacing it.
Might pay to get it looked at before selling it, you might surprised at how nice the saw is, when its starting/running well.
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

OneWithWood

My MS440 does not have a compression release and if you are not carefull in how you pull the starter it will rip your fingers off.  When I first start it up I keep it on the ground with my foot firmly planted on it.  Once it is warmed up I can start it in the crook of my knee without a problem.  My new MS460 has a decomp valve and it makes all the difference in the world.  If the valve pops up and you do not reset it the recoil can be wicked. :o
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Quartlow

Quote from: sawguy21 on March 16, 2005, 10:12:27 PM
Quartlow, yer nephew does not grab and yank an 075 like that just from eating grits. He has a secret weapon. :D

Yeah he does, its that youth and enthusiasm thing  smiley_thumbsup_grin. that and hes a big boy.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

StihlCarver046

Hello onewithwood, No 044s had decomp. The very early models of the ms440s did not also, but since that all ms440s have.

oldsaw

Doesn't happen very often since I replaced the rope, but, right about the time I think I'm the boss, she'll fight back a bit.  Turned a "sting" to a dull "thud"

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

ontario026

When I bought my 044 used I put an elastostart handle on it,  and it made a world of difference...  Much easier starting...  when I got it it had the tendancy to try to pull the handle out of your hand,  the elastostart handle adds lots of give, that dampens the 'snap' effect greatly....  I start my 044 in mid air holding the top handle with my left hand and yank the cord with my right hand, just like I do my 026 now....

I highly recommend the elastostart handle on larger saws...

Matthew

Frickman

I liked the elastostart so much on my 460 that I had the dealer put it on all my old 044's and 038's. Even on a small saw like an 038 it makes a world of difference if the rope "snaps back" on you.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

fishhuntcutwood

The Elastostart is nice indeed, and I've got it on all of my saws.  That said, I'd still have that bang and smoke thing looked at though.  That doesn't sound right.

Take care all,
Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

MATT HERNDEN

HELLO IM NEW TO THE FORUM AND DONT KNOW EVERY THING BUT WOULD LIKE TO OFFER SOME ADVICE. I AM A CERTIFIED STIHL TECH AND WORK ON THEM EVERY DAY.  I WOULD HAVE THE SAW LOOKED AT- FLYWHEEL KEY COULD BE PATIALLY SHEARED.  ALSO NOTE THAT THESE SAW HAVE HIGH COMPRESSION AND EVEN HIGHER AFTER BROKE IN.  THE IGNITIONS ARE QUITE HOT AND THEY WILL KIICK BACK ON THE RECOIL IF NOT PULLED FAST AND FULL LENGTH OF ROPE.  MY O66 CAN BITE IF I FORGET TO REALLY YANK HARD.  ALSO MAKE SURE THE SAW IS TUNED UP AND INGOOD RUNNING ORDER AS WELL AS FRESH 89 OCTANE FUEL.  IF FUEL DOESNT HAVE ENOUGH OCTANE IT WILL FIRE EASIER(EARLIER).  I LIKE THE 044, THEY CUT WELL AND HAVE LOTS OF ZIP- DONT GIVE UP AND SELL IT JUST YET.   GOOD LUCK

Stump Jumper

What does it matter if someone is typing in all caps or the spelling is incorrect or they may not use punctuation sometimes keyboards are broke, sometimes I have typed in all caps no one has ever climbed on me about it.  Around here everyone types the way it is easier for them.  So lets all get along and enjoy the Forum without bad mouthing anyone at least that is the way that I take it.  Maybe I am wrong.
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

MATT HERNDEN

elasto starts are nice but they dont reduce pull effort or stop engine from kicking back. they only smooth out the sharp jabs of each compression stroke.  they are easy to put in and make for more comfort.  by the way ive seen ignition coils move away from fanwheel which will advance timing.

OneWithWood

Welcome to the forum Matt.  We are glad to have you here. 
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

redpowerd

Quotelet me know privately
good point.

dont worry, i scream all the time, its tax time after all.

welcome to the forum matt, great to have some saw mechanics on here
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

MATT HERNDEN

thanks for the welcome guys :)  its nice to see someone apreciates newcomers.

fishhuntcutwood

I'm a newcomer myself, so yeah, welcome brother.  And I think FF was just offering advice, and didn't mean to attack, although it struck you as he was.  Just one of the many shortcomings of purely written communication-you can't often pick up on inflection and tone.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

MATT HERNDEN

thats cool.  im here MOSTLY to learn and i dont take critisizm the wrong way.  i appreciate the tip- really. 
matt

MATT HERNDEN

thanks for the welcome firewood farm.  no apology necessary.  i just want to know if that 044 can be persuaded to be more user friendly.  im a fan of stihl saws- is it obvious ::)   
by the way, is there a spot on this forum to learn more on how to operate and navigate it?
matt

Jeff

Yes Matt, Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

minesmoria

The saw flywheel key is in fine shape, i was taken into the shop had new gas line carb rebuild ect.

Its just some times it starts fine other time you can get blood on your knuckles,if  a saw that does this is not reliable, and because of this i hate stihl saws forever!

My husky 372 starts easy every time husky rules! >:(

Thank You Sponsors!