iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Throttle for cutting?

Started by gman98, July 16, 2016, 10:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gman98

How much throttle do you guys use for average felling, bucking, and limbing?

Thanks
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

Ada Shaker

My chainsaw only has two speeds, if one doesn't work, I'll try the other.  ;D
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

thecfarm

Chainsaws have 2 speeds,idle and full thottle. Full thottle always when felling and bucking. I go a little bit easier on thottle if limbing small ones. Like 1-2 inch limbs. They are designed to be run hard, I feel easy on the thottle in big wood,does more more harm than good. Now running full thottle cutting 1-2 inch limbs might not do it much good either. Been running my saw like this for a good 10 years and I use mine alot and it has worked for me.
Someone telling you diffeant?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

Very rarely anything other than wide open.

celliott

They are designed to be run full throttle, under load. So felling cuts, bucking, WOT. Limbing is a little different, you give bursts of RPM for small limbs. Big hardwood limbs WOT.

The carb isn't designed for a mid range speed. It's idle or WOT.
Also if using less than full throttle in a bucking cut, it's possible (although it could take awhile) to overheat the saw. They are designed so the flywheel fan provides enough air moving around the cylinder fins to cool the engine properly, when at WOT under working load. If you're loading the saw down with less than full throttle, the fan might not be moving enough air to cool the saw.

Good practice to run full throttle most all of the time. There may be some instances where you want to feather the throttle for a fine cut or finishing a bucking cut to not hit the dirt or what have you. That's fine just don't make anything less than full throttle the norm.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

gman98

Well then I guess I should change my techniques. I've been running my saw now for about 4 months not really using full throttle.  Could this have caused any damage?  I haven't even ran a gallon of gas through it.  It's a stihl 362 c-m.
Forest technician and part time equipment operator.  Looking to get set up with some logging equipment of my own.

sablatnic

I have been told that the Husqvarna computer saws can be damaged from being run at anything but full throttle when sawing, haven't heard Stihls having the same problem. Maybe you have just confused the computer.
But the only correct throttle setting when sawing is full throttle.

celliott

Quote from: gman98 on July 17, 2016, 08:52:00 AM
Well then I guess I should change my techniques. I've been running my saw now for about 4 months not really using full throttle.  Could this have caused any damage?  I haven't even ran a gallon of gas through it.  It's a stihl 362 c-m.

A gallon isn't that much. If it's still running fine, it likely is fine. But yes, a change in technique should occur.
You won't damage the saw running full throttle under load. Just keep the wide open revving with no load to a minumum.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

gman98

Thanks.  How could I check for damage?

Al_Smith

Unless it runs badly which is highly unlikely ,there is no damage.

gman98

Alright thanks guys.  It has never really been run for over an hour straight.  A lot of starting and stopping so it has time to cool down.

celliott

You've put such little time on it, the saw is still being broken in, it will be just fine.
Make sure to run it full throttle from now on out though  ;)
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

gman98

Alright thanks a bunch guys

gman98

Quote from: celliott on July 17, 2016, 02:21:04 PM
You've put such little time on it, the saw is still being broken in, it will be just fine.
Make sure to run it full throttle from now on out though  ;)
I figured it would be okay because it has around/less than 20 hours on it and has really only cut popple, birch, and softwoods.

Texas-Jim

All saws should be ran WOT, theres always a reason to slow one down like limbing. Saws cant develope horse power until they reach a set RPM. You probably heard of power band on dirt bikes, its same principle. If a saw as an example has 3 HP it only develops that HP at its designed cutting speed. At half throttle it may only have 1 or two HP.

And if your saw has the M chip in it it can flat damage them, the carb adjusts it self and running partial throttle confuses that chip. If they do go to 15% ethanol all saws will have a chip.
What we do in life echoes through eternity.

gman98

Quote from: Texas-Jim on July 17, 2016, 07:08:58 PM
All saws should be ran WOT, theres always a reason to slow one down like limbing. Saws cant develope horse power until they reach a set RPM. You probably heard of power band on dirt bikes, its same principle. If a saw as an example has 3 HP it only develops that HP at its designed cutting speed. At half throttle it may only have 1 or two HP.

And if your saw has the M chip in it it can flat damage them, the carb adjusts it self and running partial throttle confuses that chip. If they do go to 15% ethanol all saws will have a chip.
With the m chip how will I be able to tell if the saw has been damaged?

Thanks

ZeroJunk

If you can't tell, it's not.

Ada Shaker

Quote from: gman98 on July 17, 2016, 07:15:38 PM
Quote from: Texas-Jim on July 17, 2016, 07:08:58 PM

With the m chip how will I be able to tell if the saw has been damaged?

Thanks

When it stops running or runs very poor. About the best your can do is an rpm test at idle and full rpm, and check them against the specs. Pretty difficult to tell if any damage has occured. Being electronic one would assume that the saw would generate its own power to run its electronic circuits. The more rpms, the more power it can produce to run the circuits. It is very unlikely that avoltage drop would damage the circuit unlike a voltage spike, but then again, magnetic power generation has been known to do some strange things.
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

Walt

When cutting up rounds I usually come on and off the throttle a bit as the saw unloads at the bottom of a cut. Felling and cutting is 100% full bore. It depends how much of a load is on the saw. I won't full bore any of my saws with no load on it unless I'm clearing its throat or tinkering with a carb.
MS461R, MS290, MS170, Homelite XL, Dirty Hand Tools 27T splitter, Kubota B20 FEL&BH, Timberjack Woodchuck, US Stove Co. 2421 for heat. Too many Wheel Horse Garden Tractors..

Gary_C

Yes, you could have damaged the saw. Please send it to me and I will check it out for you. It could take a while to run all the tests so be prepared to be with out it for some time.  ;D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Carson-saws

With the type of cuts mentioned, be it bucking, felling and the like, full throttle.  IF chainsawing is new to you, you will learn by the feel and the sound of the saw as you cut. Under powering the saw on previously mentioned cuts, can be dangerous and may enhance the possibility of a kick back.  Personally, ANY new saw purchased, the "anti kick back" chain is removed and "PRO-chains" are applied.   Make sure your mix is correct and as "new" as the saw is..keep an eye on the chain tension.  As far as "breaking in"..it is my opinion and lessoned experience that there is no  "breaking in"  you run the saw like it owes you money and what it was/is built to do.  Fill out your warranty card and mail it in or register it on-line. IF it should "blow up"  take it back to where you purchased it after calling the manufacturer. 
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

CTYank

It's all about the fuel/air mixture under load. Diaphragm carbs we see on chainsaws don't have air-correction. That would keep mixture stable over a wide range of flow-rates. Rather, the higher the flow-rate (higher throttle opening) the richer they run.

Gasoline engines need air-fuel ratio down around 12.5:1 @WOT under load to prevent detonation & piston-melting. If you're getting that AFR @WOT, when you close the throttle some, it'll be leaner. Obviously not good.

In the case of Auto-Tune & M-Tronic, you also want to give them every opportunity to square away.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

gman98

When you guys say WOT, do you mean high revs or putting the throttle trigger right to the handle?

DelawhereJoe

W.ide O.pen T.hrottle...full rpm...
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

ZeroJunk

What you don't want to do is make long cuts at 1/2 throttle or 3/4 throttle thinking that it is easier on the saw. And, it may not be the case with all saws and all carburetors. But, wide open is the safe bet.

Thank You Sponsors!