iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Huricane Florence

Started by Lawg Dawg, September 07, 2018, 08:58:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawg Dawg

Right now projected path is coming right in South Carolina with some JUICE!  Should know better early next week, batton down the hatches, and get the saw blades SHARP! :o  Do we have any costal GA,SC,NC folks on here?
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Chuck White

Good luck to all that are in it's path!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

florida

South west Florida here but its predicted to keep turning south and will likely hit central or south Florida. All the rest of my family is in Charleston so we're all crossing our fingers.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

curdog

It's still a few days out,  but the forecast for NC isn't looking good.. supposedly the storm is going to come in at the nc/sc border and come in shore and hang up in the center of the state. Some forecast models are showing feet of rain in central nc and va. But it seems like every year the forecast get hyped up and switch around 100 times,  but it could be a rough time if it comes on shore as a cat 4 as predicted and sits.... guess I better get the saws sharp and bags packed just in case. 

SawyerTed

The track this evening is showing Savannah to Chesapeake Bay with Wrightsville Beach/Wilmimgton dead in the center.  The track very well may change north or south.  For some reason I'm fearing Fran or Floyd type storm or worse a Hugo.  I'm 200 miles from the coast and we saw 80+ winds during Hugo.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Lawg Dawg

Yeah, I was 12 years old when Hugo hit...I can remember hunkering down in the hallway of our house for about 10hrs.  After that and went outside, and trees down everywhere...that might have been the spark for my sawmill Fire!   :D  but really no laughing matter...we will see, make preparations now.   I can also remember back then, we just finished installing a brand new shingle roof on a house that evening.  Noone thought Hugo was going to be a big deal for us, but it proved everyone WRONG!
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

samandothers

Forecasting has improved.  But, I remember being in Chapel Hill during Hugo.  We went to bed thinking we were really going to get it.  Woke up wondering where did it go?  Well it went more south of us.  The next several weeks was supporting folks in Charlotte area.  

SawyerTed

Yep Hugo hammered the Greater Charlotte area and North Northwest into Wilkes County NC.  I'm about 2 hours north of Charlotte.  We had power outages, flooding and significant wind damage here.

Floyd and Fran were really bad because of the stalling and resulting flooding.  Parts of NC and Sc are still recovering from Matthew as well.   Based on current forecasting, Florence seems more like them. 

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Don P

Hugo tagged us pretty good up here too. We were still living in Raleigh and building the house up here. My folks were down near Rocky Mount which was in the predicted path so I called my folks and told them the key was under the mat if they needed to bug out and we were heading to the mountains to work. We woke up to radio stations going out one by one up the mountain and I was nailing every scrap I could find over the openings in the house frame. Power was out about 10 days and it took about a week for us to get things cleared enough to go back home. We were pretty occupied and I hadn't thought to check in down the mountain. Most of the phone messages were from Mamma :D. I talked to Dad this morning, they're battening down. Stay safe everyone.

WV Sawmiller

Yeah, you guys be careful and don't wait too late to pull the plug if it looks like it may be dicey. 

I well remember Hugo too. I was stationed at Camp LeJeune, Jacksonville NC and had all the disaster kits for the command. I sent troops home and was by myself issuing last minute stuff the watchstanders and such had forgotten. I'd get periodic calls from my wife who was home with the kids trying to tie everything down. She finally called and said all was under shelter except the aluminum Jonboat and she did not know what to do with it. i told her put the plug in and fill it with water to add weight. She did the same with my canoe she had pulled in the shed in case we needed water later if we had an outage. It stopped down around Charleston SC and did not hit us so we pulled the plug on the boat to drain it then ran a garden hose downhill from the canoe to siphon it out.

I loaded up a few supplies and my 10 y/o son and I went down and sawed limbs and trees off peoples houses and such. We camped in my truck in evacuation centers. Was great to see everyone pulling together. Local radio stations were all help lines linking people with needs to people who could help.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

Highway 12 is already flooded between Buxton, NC and Nags Head.  Mandatory evacuations on the Outer Banks from Ocracoke to the Virginia border.

Leigh Family Farm

I'm in Brunswick, GA for the week and need to return to Philadelphia on Thursday. My training was just cut short and they want everyone heading north to be wheels up on Wednesday. Hopefully I can make it out of here before all the airports shut down! 
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Magicman

I have much concern for all of you that are in Florence's path.  My Prayer is for safety for each of you and your families.

It looks like we could possibly get Isac into the Gulf for our next woes.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I've already sent invites to several friends along the coast where it is predicted to hit. Looks like we may get it too but will mostly be a rain and flooding event for us and the mountains and distance from the ocean will have slowed it town, I hope. I'll fill the truck tank and top off any gas cans not already full just in case. We already have a standby genset hooked to natural gas so we fare much better than most in such events. 

I have a daughter, SIL and 21 month old grandson in Charlotte and will keep reminding her to come up if needed. She works at the Levine Children's Hospital there and may end up on watch. I hope not. To top it off she is pregnant and due late Feb/early March so I worry enough for all of us. 

The main thing for all is not to wait too late to leave. Often by then the roads are blocked, gas stations are out of fuel and it is general chaos. Use this as an excuse to go visit family and friends in safer areas.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

Some are saying we will see 10"-20" of rain here, took care of the supply issue today - not going to be much on the shelves for folks tomorrow that's for sure.

Will spend tomorrow setting up some fencing so my new 68 x 88' mill house that I finally finished the roof on last Friday can serve as a Cow house should the need arise. They have shelter but it's not fair to ask my girls to keep producing in that kind of weather. 

Too much fun. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

nativewolf

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 10, 2018, 06:56:28 PM
  I've already sent invites to several friends along the coast where it is predicted to hit. Looks like we may get it too but will mostly be a rain and flooding event for us and the mountains and distance from the ocean will have slowed it town, I hope. I'll fill the truck tank and top off any gas cans not already full just in case. We already have a standby genset hooked to natural gas so we fare much better than most in such events.

I have a daughter, SIL and 21 month old grandson in Charlotte and will keep reminding her to come up if needed. She works at the Levine Children's Hospital there and may end up on watch. I hope not. To top it off she is pregnant and due late Feb/early March so I worry enough for all of us.

The main thing for all is not to wait too late to leave. Often by then the roads are blocked, gas stations are out of fuel and it is general chaos. Use this as an excuse to go visit family and friends in safer areas.
While one never knows I would guess Charlotte will fare as well as anywhere and hope she fares well (edited...kind of missed my point there, sorry).  Frankly with the wet weather in WV and northern VA, soaked soils, streams high, etc I'm worried about flooding and downed trees.  Might miss some school that's for sure.  If we have another 10" of rain that is going to stop cutting for 2 weeks.
Liking Walnut

xlogger

Well a couple months ago I decided on slowing down on the mill and getting a place on the ICW down at Atlantic Beach. Now I might have to step up my milling again for repairs if its still there. I'm going to get hit twice on the track it's going now, once down there near the eye of the storm and here at home.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

kelLOGg

I remember hurricane Hazel and several others that traversed inland but this is my first for being directly in the projected path. Even though I am 150 miles inland we are expecting 10 - 20" rain and 70 - 80 mph wind. I will move the mill, trailer and arches to open pasture and maybe anchor the sawhead to the trailer. Would you cover the sawhead w/ a tarp ? or is the increased drag too risky?
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

WV Sawmiller

Bob,

I'd wrap the head up tight and keep as mush water out as possible. If you have one handy could not hurt to go ahead and load a big log on the mill for the extra weight. Good luck. Stay safe and come back to it all if that is the more prudent thing to do.
Howard Green

samandothers

Flooding is a big issue with these slow storms along coast and inland.  During Matthew there were areas we had to wait to access line conditions til water went down.  It stayed up a while since the storm dumped in the area we were in and then the water from inland had to flow through.  I always carried two pairs of boots. Wear one then let them dry the next day while I wore the others.

One blessing from I95 flooding during Matthew was we were able to pick up some crews that were headed to Florida from Canada!  They were released from their obligation in Florida.

Raider Bill

If any of you guys need to scram and don't have a place to go my Tenn house maybe available for temp shelter. Its just outside Tellico Plains.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Sixacresand

I don't know God's plan is for this storm, but I hope everybody gets thru it ok. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Roxie

I hope all are safe.  I keep reminding myself that Texas survived Harvey.  :)
Say when

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I can remember Hugo. Where I live Hugo was not suppose affect us. But little did we know that spin off tornadoes would be devastating.

Florence is set to do the same thing from predictions.

As far as our sheds go, our faith is in the Lord and the Builder.  ;D
We worked today moving things one wouldn't even thinking about.

My Dad sells Gourds and has a pile of them....we got them in the shed.
Even though my mill is under a shed with 2 open sides, I'll put a piece of plywood against the radiator and cover and tie down a cover over the engine.
Chairs on my deck at the mill will be put up.
The fridge I have setting at the mill will go in the block building.
Setting backhoe buckets on top of stacked lumber.
Today we cleaned culverts out and I took the dozer and build some water bars.
I know I'll forget something but we're trying. 
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Texas Ranger

You can never do enough to prepare, and then there is an aftermath.  We had two in a row, Rita and Ike, we had just cleaned up from Rita when Ike hit, after Rita I bought a stand alone generator and it got us through Ike a little easier.  Still, thank God for neighbors, and for the local government, it took weeks for the feds to come in.

Keep the faith, brothers and sisters.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!