iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Discovered a new type of twin blade sawmill.

Started by Satamax, September 01, 2015, 05:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

DanG

That thing is massive!  I don't know if that sawyer is getting full performance out of it, but my old MD will cut circles around it if he is.  It just seems like an awful lot of machinery for what it will do. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

CaseyK

DandG I have got to agree with you looks like a lot of machinery to do the job at that speed.  The traveling side board stacker does give me an idea though. Hope to commission my twin blade in the new shed this week and will post some videos.
Home built automated twin blade

Satamax

Well, it sure is slow. But what is the recomended cutting speed into tropical hardwood? And thoses videos are most certainly from first setup of the machine. Not two or three months into production, when the guy has the hang of it. Just a thought. But if it doesn't cut any faster,it's not worth much.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

longtime lurker

Based on my dense timbers I'd say cut speed was slow, though I'd bet she's got variable feed speed and was just idling along.
Apart from that it looks pretty good, build strength looks adequate for high speed sawing and the general wear and tear you'd expect from a big log mill. If it can hack its way through them like a Duncan - and based on build integrity I'd say it can -  there's quite a lot of smart thinking gone into it.

i
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

longtime lurker

So heres a thought for y'all, seeing as this has got a few of the wiser heads about twin blades posting...

I've been tossing around a new twin or swinger in my head to use as a break saw in front of a resaw... but also to work as a stand alone piece of equipment when required.

Nothing on the market much impresses me in terms of doing what I want it to do... I like the big Turbosaw but its way too light by about four ton for what I want. Had the big mite once... it was a good bit of gear but again it was too light and I'd really rather a swinger because that double cut feature can be usefull at times. Seen a Duncan in action and loved it but again not a swinger, played with a Mahoe etc etc... and then theres this thing we're looking at here.

When it comes to sawmills I'm convinced that if you want to cut hard timber in big cross sections, and you  want to cut it fast, then you need serious HP. And to work that serious HP (the big Duncan I got to watch with had a 50HP three phase to each blade) you need some serious stifness, which means serious weight.
Thats cool with me - all I want to do in terms of portability is shift it by truck, and then only maybe once every few years.

Soooooooo... I'm going to have to build it myself, seeing as no-one builds what I need.

Heres the thing... look at this machine then I want y'all to think about how it could be set - or any other swinger/twin mill could be set - so that the log deck has a 15 or so degree incline and the blade(s) are out of vertical by the same amount. The object to be would be to make the equivalent of a slant headrig. Vertical saw trailing rig would mean that as the board/cant/flitch seperated from the log it could slide down the face of the log and wind up on an outfeed conveyor.

Thats what got me with this machine we're looking at here... hes still using a man to tail out, which is probably fine there because that man is costing all of 25c a day.

I'm just wondering about a better option then using a drag back to a scissors lift style table is all. Thoughts???
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Satamax

Thank You Sponsors!