iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Filson Tin pants

Started by bendjoseph, January 21, 2013, 04:44:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bendjoseph

Where I am sawing and splitting is loaded with brier's.  My legs are getting rip to shreds.  I looked at the Carhartt double front, but was not impressed.  I have a Filson tin coat.  I was wondering how hot the pants got?  Does anyone here wear the Tin pants?

thecfarm

WOW!! Sticker shock.I never heard of them before. Baileys sell them. But made in the USA. I suppose chaps would not do what you want. No protection for the back of the leg.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

I find that the chainsaw chaps do great in the sticker bush...buckthorn, prickly ash, rasberry, and blackberry.

No experience with the Filson.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

celliott

I have a pair of the upland game pants, tin cloth front, regular canvas back. They work great in brushy country. I wear them in the summer to go blackberry picking, and they do get clammy, they don't breathe well but they do turn away blackberry stickers. I also have a tin cloth jacket, and you must know how well that works in the brush if you have one yourself.
My only concern with the tin pants would be the break in period. I know my jacket would stand up by itself when I first got it!
The pants must be like wearing cardboard for awhile, but i'm sure they would do the job.
Filson makes great, quality U.S products.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

mad murdock

Filson-"might as well have the best"!  They are worth every penny if you need to bust through brush with no bloodletting, I havent got a pair of the tin pants, but the coat is awesome.  I do have several pairs of Prison Blues, Double knee dungarees, they do quite well for me busting through the himalayan blackberries we have in this part of the woods. They are priced around $30.00 a pair and are 10x the jeans of anything else.  They wear better than the Carhartt Duck double knee (more durable).
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Clark

I've had a pair of the single tin, dry finish pants for several years.  If I were independently wealthy they are the only thing I would wear in the woods while working in the summer.  Amazing pants that take serious abuse.  They are lighter than the Carhartt double front pants but resist thorns, briars, etc at least as well and probably better than the Carhartts.  They could well be the perfect pair of pants for your situation but you might be better off with chainsaw chaps in the long run.  That way you won't have my problem and know what you're missing every time you wear something other than the Filsons.

Clark 
SAF Certified Forester

sealark37

Filson Tin pants were my first choice for years, until I out-grew the available sizes.  I never had any problems with briars or stickers.  The more you wash them, the better they get.  I now wear Carhartt uninsulated bibs.  They perform just as well, without the hot and sweaty problem, due to the open top.  Pockets are big enough for your Smith & Wesson, if needed.    Regards, Clark

loggah

The Filson stuff is great when its cool or damp,but will get real hot fast ,and are almost impossible to clean if you get oil or grease on them. For general use the best pants that are briar resistant that you can wear and are tougher then Carhart or any other double front jeans are "ARBORWEAR" i been wearing them steadily and there great, there not cheap either ,but nowhere as expensive as Filson. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

dutchman

I like chaps for light weight and good protection. I've used mine for years
when clearing brush. Mine are 1000 denier. These are similar:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Bargain-Cave/Mens-Hunting-Clothing/Upland-Shooting%7C/pc/105591780/c/105686280/sc/105694380/Cabelas-Boar-Hide8482-1000-Denier-Chaps/725044.uts

dutchman

bill m

I have no experience with the Filson Tin pants so I can't commit on them. I had been wearing Arborwear for years but found them to be getting too expensive. I now wear Riggs wear by Wrangler. Double front, rip stop fabric ranger pants. For me a lot more comfortable then Arborwear.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Tom L

I have a filson waxed tin jacket and I wish I didn't. it does not breath at all. in any kind of weather you wind up wet after and hour or so working in it . I couldn't imagine the tin waxed bibs
they must be so hot and clammy to wear. you would freeze in just about any weather once wet.
the material is brush resistant. I would look elsewhere for a pair of bibs and jacket. there has to be something out there that is abrasion resistant and can keep you warm

celliott

Quote from: Tom L on February 26, 2013, 04:35:11 PM
I have a filson waxed tin jacket and I wish I didn't. it does not breath at all. in any kind of weather you wind up wet after and hour or so working in it . I couldn't imagine the tin waxed bibs
they must be so hot and clammy to wear. you would freeze in just about any weather once wet.
the material is brush resistant. I would look elsewhere for a pair of bibs and jacket. there has to be something out there that is abrasion resistant and can keep you warm

I don't wear mine when it's remotely warm out. If it is, I could care less about getting wet from the rain, as long as I got a change of clothes. My experience with ANY rain-gear, is you get wet from the inside. I love my filson on a rainy fall day, or snowy days. Line it with a heavy wool shirt or shirt-jac, and it's an awesome winter jacket. You are right, they aren't warm or fair weather garments.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

JDB

Filson is the best.  Perfect with a base layer if it's below about 25, they can get a little to warm above that.  Worth every penny if you spend a lot time in the woods.

Ron Scott

~Ron

loggah

The problem with the Filsons when it gets real cold, below zero, you might as well be the "TIN MAN" in the wizard of OZ!!! they become inflexible !!  they are tough ,and waterproof from both sides! ;D Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

mad murdock

I have used Carhartt Double knee duck pants, they wear ok.  The best pants for the money in the woods IMO is the double knee work dungaree by Prison Blues.  They are heavier than anything sold by Dickie, 5 brother, Key, or Carhartt, and they are denim, so they wear longer than the canvas duck material.  They are impervious to briars and blackberries( we have all varietys out here in the PNW, the worst are the himalayan, big thorns, and lots of them).  I swear by them, and Bailey's sells them.  Check them out, they are the best value, tho Filson hands down is the best, if you can afford them. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

RPF2509

I've worn filson tin pants (waxed) for years but only in the winter.  Yes they are hot and any temps over 50 degrees or heavy exercise even when cooler will have you sweating.  That said they are one tough pant.  My pairs have lasted 3-4 years wearing them every day from Nov - April.  What always does them in is sandy mud.  The lower legs go first then the inside of the legs.  I've always split the crotch out and have had to resew them.  The are not waterproof but water resistant and will leak but they will not absorb water like cotton or chafe like wool.  They'll keep you warm when its quite cold esp if you wear synthetic thermals underneath though too cold and they will stiffen up on you.  The are windproof and relatively thornproof.  The tight weave prevents the briars from catching.  The back of the legs are single layer so briars can sneak in that way.  Tough thorns like rose, locust whitethorn or himalaya blackberry will pierce them.  Chaps work well but the rough ballistic fabric will catch the thorns.  Chaps are cooler and cheaper in the long run

terrifictimbersllc

I have the double tin bibs and the tin chaps (think they're double too not sure).  Rather have the bibs on.  No trouble at all except once it gets warm I tend not to wear them.  Otherwise when I take them off my clothes are clean underneath. I wax them once a year or so with the Filson wax.  Wondering if Anchorseal would work.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!