iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ford 550 backhoe, opinions needed

Started by 47sawdust, May 31, 2015, 04:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47sawdust

I am looking at a 550 Ford backhoe,1978 model hours are question mark.It is fully functional and has been used the last 5 years as a snow removal machine for personal use.Asking $5k.Full cab,lights,block heater,radio,working brakes.Intended use by me is for home use only,woods road improvement,sawmill,firewood,etc.
What do you all know about this vintage backhoe?
Thanks for your time.
Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Holmes

I always wanted a backhoe until I rented a small excavator.  Does not sound  [or look] bad for the money.
Think like a farmer.

sandsawmill14

i have a 555 ford either an 89 or 90 model (i forgot)  i built a set of forks for it works great around the mill and for fixing culverts and stuff around the farm. if the machine  your looking at seems well maintained and in good working order i would go for it at that price we gave about 4x that for ours :o
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

North River Energy

Have done a bunch of work on the earlier ('72?), larger 6500.  Nice machine, good parts support from local Case/IH New Holland dealer. That tractor, and the 550 appear to have the same hind end as my '86 545 utility.
One perceived advantage of the Ford construction machines is the long production run of parts shared with with the AG division.
If the hoe uses a swing chain rather than bar link, bear in mind that it's expensive from the dealer, and the aftermarket version may be soft as a slice of American Cheese.

Which engine/transmission?
Check the condition of the hoses, and bear in mind that they often use JIC on one end, with SAE o-ring on the other.  I think Ford is also fond of using 5/8 hose and fittings rather than 1/2 or 3/4.

ozarkgem

IF its a good working hoe 5K is not to bad. I looked at a several hoes for that price range that needed another 5K spent on them and they would still be worth only 5K when I was done. You will likely be able to get your 5K back at any time. I don't have any experience with the Ford hoes but I do like Ford tractors.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Thank You Sponsors!