iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bad week for electronics in my house.

Started by 21incher, December 10, 2016, 04:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

21incher

The past week has been hard on electronic devices that I own. First I am making Christmas presents and all of a sudden the 3 hp motor on my planer developed a smoke leak. ;D All of the smoke that it runs on leaked out in about 30 seconds and smoked my whole basement up real bad. It was one of the most awful smells ever.

The first pic is right after the leak.

This pic is about 15 mins later with the windows wide open. I have never seen so much smoke leak out that quick. When the smoke stopped it was dead so now I am sure that motors run on smoke.
I just got the smoke cleared out and the wife calls me to come up and look at her Nook tablet. The thing was going crazy junping screen to screen and then finally died completely. Next I pulled out my Cannon digital camera to make a video and the video recording button quit working. I pushed the button and it would make a grinding noise then do nothing. That old saying when it rains it pours is true. :D :D
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

David Freed

That sucks. Any idea what let go on the motor?

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

21incher

Quote from: David Freed on December 10, 2016, 07:12:28 PM
That sucks. Any idea what let go on the motor?
I think one of the windings in the motor burned up. I was only trying to run a 2 ft long board through it and have never seen so much smoke come out of a  motor that quick. :)

Quote from: thecfarm on December 10, 2016, 07:25:30 PM
That is too bad.
In one way it is, but I have been wanting a new planer for some time and now I need one. I had a 3 hp motor on my thickness sander that I swaped out to finish up christmas gifts. The only problem is it is 1725 rpm and the one that burned up was 3450 rpm so the planer runs at 1/2 speed now and makes about 5 times the noise. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Den Socling

I have two 7.5hp 3 phase motors that I don't need. They are free if you pay shipping.

Brucer

I've heard magic and electronics don't mix well: electronics always fail when magic is nearby.

So is there something you're not telling us  :D :D :D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

21incher

Quote from: Den Socling on December 10, 2016, 08:14:42 PM
I have two 7.5hp 3 phase motors that I don't need. They are free if you pay shipping.
Thanks for the offer Den, but after that smell got up in the house I got permission from the boss to get a new one with a spiral head.

Quote from: Brucer on December 11, 2016, 01:53:39 AM
I've heard magic and electronics don't mix well: electronics always fail when magic is nearby.

So is there something you're not telling us  :D :D :D.

You may be right. I cut a few off the list this year and this may be payback. ;D

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Den Socling

I love that bottle of harness smoke.  :D

Den Socling

That offer of free motors goes to anyone who need one.

21incher

Kbeitz I need to know where to buy it, how much does a 3HP need, and how in the world do you get it back in there?  ;D ;D ;D
You seem to have the cure for everything. :)

Kbeitz

Quote from: 21incher on December 11, 2016, 04:06:12 PM
Kbeitz I need to know where to buy it, how much does a 3HP need, and how in the world do you get it back in there?  ;D ;D ;D
You seem to have the cure for everything. :)

Lots of liquid smoke for sell on E-bay...
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

OntarioAl

Kbeitz
I see you have a bottle of Lucas "Prince of Darkness" magic smoke
lol ;D
Al
Al Raman

Chop Shop

You know why the english drink warm beer?

Lucas refridges!

Den Socling

This morning when Patti went to make the first pot of coffee, she found our coffee maker dead. This is no way to start a new week!  :'(

Thank You Sponsors!