iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

i cannot get a good edge on my chainsaw

Started by startinghandle, November 18, 2017, 07:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

startinghandle

it may sound silly but I cannot get a good edge on my chainsaw..  I get a good sharp tip but not a good cutting edge, the file is new and correct size as I took chain to the store to make sure of size and I have used 2 different guides and just a file on its own. I am occasional chainsaw user perhaps that is the problem  thanks in advance

thecfarm

Been sharpening long?  ;D
Plenty of youtubes to help you. Just have to figure out which ones knows and which ones think they know. ::)
I got upset with myself because I was having a hard time. I took a hard wood log and started sawing and sharpening. By the time I got done,there was not much left of the chain or the log. BUT I got it.  ;D  I can hand file a saw now,35 years later.
Mark the chain so you know where you started. A saw should draw itself into the wood. Not a good thing to do,but should be able to hold just the rear handle and the saw should draw itself into the wood. Do you put the bar into a vice? You want it at a good filing height.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pinefeller

analyze a new chain and copy it. the side of the chain severs the fibers and the top peels them away. the bump before the tooth controls the depth of cut. put a straight edge on the top of the chain, the cutter should be roughly .030 above the bump (depth gauge)
for those who say "it cannot be done!" please do so quietly so as not to disturb those who are doing it.

HolmenTree

Quote from: startinghandle on November 18, 2017, 07:27:05 PM
it may sound silly but I cannot get a good edge on my chainsaw..  I get a good sharp tip but not a good cutting edge, the file is new and correct size as I took chain to the store to make sure of size and I have used 2 different guides and just a file on its own. I am occasional chainsaw user perhaps that is the problem  thanks in advance
Welcome to the Forum.
Sounds like you're holding your file handle too high while you're  making your filing strokes. With this error you'd get a inward concave cutting edge on the top plate.
Just hold the file level to the b/c.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

John Mc

Close up pictures of a couple of your sharpened cutters from various angles would help us diagnose the issue.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

kenskip1

Can you tell if the chain is sharp just from looking at it?You bet your azimuth.A sharp chain will have almost a dull finish.A dull chain will have a shiny or reflect light.Why? Look at a file. A new one has a dull tone to it or will not reflect light, however a dull file will have the edges worn and will reflect light. Hope this helps, Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

startinghandle

I have tried to send photos but no success
but I have got a better edge and I did this by holding the chain  firm with one hand  and not applying so much pressure on the file

Al_Smith

Well yes if the chain is rocking it the bar slot it will throw you off .You should have the chain fairly tight to file .

BobbyG

Quote from: startinghandle on November 18, 2017, 07:27:05 PM
it may sound silly but I cannot get a good edge on my chainsaw..  I get a good sharp tip but not a good cutting edge,

How do you know the tooth isn't sharp?

If you've sharpened it AND filed the rakers to achieve the proper chip depth you should be fine.

Gearbox

Do not drag the file on the back stroke . File on the teeth on the opposite side of the bar from where you stand.
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Weekend_Sawyer

Quote from: Gearbox on December 30, 2017, 09:55:34 AM
Do not drag the file on the back stroke . File on the teeth on the opposite side of the bar from where you stand.

Before I learned how to sharpen correctly I used to do 2 things wrong.
I would file in twards the engine instead of away and I would file like I was using a handsaw.
Now I just give it 2 good strokes per tooth and move on.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

customcutter01

As was mentioned earlier, only sharpen when pushing the file away from the power head.  Do not drag the file back toward you on the tooth.  Also try to maintain the same angle with every stroke.  Most common mistake most people make when trying to sharpen a knife is "rocking" the blade, never having the same angle as they stroke the stone.  As mentioned earlier lots of you tube video's to help you.  You should be cutting long wood chips, not making sawdust with a sharp chain.

You may also find that if you are not cutting straight cuts that you are sharpening one side of the chain more than the other.  That's due to being right or left handed and favoring that side more than the other.
Husqvarna 350 decked,ported,pop-up piston by me
Husqvarna 450
Husqvarna 570 rebuilding now
Husqvarna 262XP
Stihl 210
Cooks AC-36 Hyd Bandsaw Mill
New Holland TN65D

Thank You Sponsors!