iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First project

Started by Furby, May 11, 2008, 02:05:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furby

Last year my kid Sister required some wood for a school project.
It was to be a home made musical instrument (noise maker).
My Mom wanted something she could pound some nails in and string rubber bands between the nails.
I found a beaver tail off a piece of Red Cedar and did a little carving and sanding on it ( as she isn't able to) and basicly took the bark off and cleaned it up nice.
She pounded in some nails and put the rubber bands on and had her noise maker for school.

Fast forward a year and I was asked to provide a couple blocks of wood for a different sister to make an instrument for school.
My Mom was thinking along the lines of two squares from a 2x4 that she could glue some sandpaper on and rub together to make noise. ::)
After finding out we were all going to be at my Grandma's (where all the tools are ;) ) last weekend, I came up with a better plan! ;D It took a little bit of arguing with my Mom that I knew what I was doing, with out telling her what I had in mind. ;)

I found another piece of Red Cedar and cut it into some pieces for her as I wasn't going to let her use the table saw.
This is what she started with:

After some tracing/layout work, I showed her how to use the band saw.

Yes, I know she's not using eye protection, but I couldn't find a pair of saftey glasses at the time. :-\
Then it was on to the scroll saw for a little customizing. ;)
She seemed to really like using the scroll saw. :)

Then a little sanding to clean things up a little.

A couple of holes drilled with the drill press, a few screws and we are in business!

Other than showing her how to use the tools and also a little sanding to fix some splits from the screw in in some funky grain that I forgot to have her pre drill, she did them all by herself. 8)

We were still planning to glue some sandpaper on them, but after I pointed out the mess it would make and some experimenting with clacking and rubbing them together, it was decided to do away with the sandpaper. ;)

Tom

Good Job!!

You might have planted the seeds for a new woodworker too.  :)

Grawulf

Allright Furb!
For a small amount of time involved, you just made some HUGE memories for your sis - that's what this life is supposed to be.........human beings, not human doings. Some of my best times with my dad were woodworking projects. You done good!   

Fla._Deadheader

Good going, Furby.  8) 8)

Like another easy way to make noise, that CAN result in creating some talent ???

Take some of that Red Cedar, and turn an egg shape, kinda. Make it more symetrical
than egg shape. Drill a ½" hole in one end, as near perfect with the "egg" as possible, and glue an 8" piece of dowel it in. Later, split it with the table saw, from the other end of the "egg", down into the dowel handle not quite ½ way, being careful to flat saw the dowel, NOT quarter it. .

Now, you have a set of "spoons". If the 2 halves are not seperated enough, wet the handle and prop something in the cut, being careful to not split the handle.

To play, hold it in one hand, and drag it across the other hands fingers, that are spread way apart. Also, timing can generate using your leg, kinda "Hambone" style.

We sold a bunch of them to a teacher, at one craft show we were set up at.  Another show, the local Constable came by, looked them over, tested each for the right "Tone", and cut down playing that thing like you can't imagine. Shoulda seen the smile on his face, as he bought 3 for his kids.  ;) ;) ;D ;D :D

We used Walnut, with a Maple inlay. Polyurethane made 'em PURDY.  ;) :D :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Furby

Well we were back over at Grandma's for Mother's Day. :)
I brought along a thin piece of White Cedar and she talked one of our cousins into drawing out her name for her.
She then cut it out on the scroll saw.
It required a littel more help from me, due to the complexity, but she got it done and seems happy with it. :)

Any chance you might have a pic of one of those DeadHeader ???

Fla._Deadheader

Not on your Furby little life  ??? ??? :D :D :D :D :D

Just think of a large lollipop, only it's a oval shaped egg symetrical. About 2" across, and 3-3½" high, stuck on a dowel. Kinda like one o dem drum beatin thingys. ??? ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

turningfool

good job furb..you missed your calling as a teacher :)

WDH

You gave her something very special.  Little things like that have a way of becoming big things later on. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Raphael

... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Thank You Sponsors!