iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Replacing 288

Started by backwoods sawyer, April 16, 2014, 06:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backwoods sawyer

I was splitting some over sized doug fir logs with the old 288 running a 60" bar finished cutting from one side set the saw down and helped the other sawyer off load the stack of lumber on the sawmill onto a equipment trailer, hopped back on the cat and rolled the log right over the saw. The prognosis is not good with a cracked case so replacing the saw is a must.
I found two saws in the size range, one is a 281 ex eliminator and the other is a husky 2100. I am not real familiar with the comparisons of these saws. I need to run the 60" bar as it is my primary brake down of over sized logs for the sawmill.
The 288 seemed like it could use a bit more power but it was a 1988 model that had a lot of use over the years as two fallers had owned it before me.
How much difference is there in these saws?
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

thecfarm

That is too bad.   :(  When the saw is on the ground it goes beside a tree or something that I would have to run over first before getting to the saw. I have a place on my tractor that is right beside me. I have got on a few times,start the tractor,look down and go Oh Oh,no saw. Get back off and put it on the tractor.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ianab

2100 would be my choice for a 60" bar and splitting logs like that.  There's no replacement for displacement.  :D

It's a heavy beast to use for regular felling, but for milling it's one of the best.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Dave Shepard

I've only used a 2100 a couple of times. It cut pretty well. Might have cut better if it had a better chain on it. The guy that owned it said it would out cut his two 394XPs. If that's the case, then I would be impressed. I'm with Ian, the more cc's the merrier ripping. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SawTroll

A 60" bar really is way too much on all those saws, so among them bigger is better.
Information collector.

AdkStihl

Quote from: SawTroll on April 17, 2014, 12:09:20 PM
A 60" bar really is way too much on all those saws, so among them bigger is better.

+1
J.Miller Photography

mad murdock

There is a 2100 on CL near Scio. A 3120 would be better, but a 2100 is over 100cc.  They are good old saws.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: mad murdock on April 17, 2014, 10:19:20 PM
There is a 2100 on CL near Scio. A 3120 would be better, but a 2100 is over 100cc.  They are good old saws.
Just got a call back from the one in Scio it already sold to someone setting up a 4' Alaska mill running a 60" bar :( 

The 281 is local, a size smaller then the 288, but about 15 years newer with light use over the years so should pull the chain about the same if not a little stronger.
Would like to find a 3120. Never the less I have over sized logs on the cut list and need to make halves :)
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

celliott

Well if the piston and cylinder is still good on your smashed 288, I'm almost positive that top end will bolt onto the 281 you're looking at.
New piston and rings + your 288 cylinder on the 281?
You said it was 15 years newer and light use and local.
Just a thought.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

backwoods sawyer

Well I got to looking around and found a 394 right here in the "For Sale" section at 124cc?  I am hoping it should make splitting logs a whole new task. Check is in the mail looking forward to pulling shavings with it.
Have some over sized Maple scheduled for first week in May.

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SawTroll

Quote from: mad murdock on April 17, 2014, 10:19:20 PM

They are 98.5cc, like some other so-called 100cc saws.
Information collector.

HolmenTree

I love this story.........you know what they say how tough Aussie hardwoods are.

A 106cc 070 would also be a good choice and can be bought for a lot less then the 137cc  090.
Last pic is my 090 with 60" b/c sporting a .404 harvester chain.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

mad murdock

True dat HolmenTree.  Even an 075/076 can be had now and again for a bargain.  I got my 075 for cheep,  It would prolly do just as well as the 288, and could wield a long bar with skip chain, in Doug fir pretty handily.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!