iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

do I need license plates on a knuckleboom mounted on a trailer?

Started by Nemologger, June 04, 2014, 10:29:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nemologger

Do I need license plates on my pitts trailer that carries my 330 timberjack to move it on the public roads from job to job?
Clean and Sober

KyLogger

Not in Ky! Course most of us run farm tags anyhow! Not sure though, i know in most states they do not require you to tag air compressors, gen sets, wood chippers and the like.......Be a good question for some other MO boy.

Better to beg for forgiveness than to as for permission........LOL
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

treeslayer2003

we are suppossed to have a special vehicle tag here..........a maine tag works fine

Autocar

Bill

oros35

PA you would need tags, and probably an inspection (over 3K lbs)

tj240

here in ny you are supposed to because its a trailer, but i have never seen a log loader that looked ok pulled over
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

Nemologger

Clean and Sober

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mburrow

beenthere gave you the best advice.
I am sure they will say yes as it is not farm equipment.

DeerMeadowFarm

If you determine you need plates, look into plates from Maine as suggested by treeslayer. I was paying $200/year in Mass. Switched to Maine plates and now it costs me $200 for 5 years!  :o

BargeMonkey

Quote from: DeerMeadowFarm on June 11, 2014, 01:14:38 PM
If you determine you need plates, look into plates from Maine as suggested by treeslayer. I was paying $200/year in Mass. Switched to Maine plates and now it costs me $200 for 5 years!  :o
NY has claimed they are going to crack down on the ME plates for years now, 6 out of 7 of our trailers have ME plates and its the only way to go. This was a good question because I wondered, my loader hasnt left town since I bought it but I think a license plate, brakes and lights may help.  8)

treeslayer2003

yea Md. been cryin about it too, but every body still has um. its the only way to go.....no hassle.

DeerMeadowFarm

All the states would need to do to "crack down" is be a little more reasonable about their trailer fees. Let's face it, unless you're a proffesional hauler, your trailer isn't used everyday. I probably use my big trailer a couple of dozen times/year. I saved $800 over a 5 year period by going to a Maine plate! If Mass was reasonable, I never would have gone elsewhere to register it! So instead of my state making a reasonable fee, they make nothing....that's smart....

Maine is the smart state: Lowball trailer registration fees and everyone will pay their money to them and 90% of those trailers will never roll on a Maine road!

NWP

1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

treeslayer2003

DeerMeadowFarm

Just Google "Maine trailer plates" and you'll get a dozen or more hits on places that'll do it for you. Real simple....

Mooseherder

Kind of ironic.  I keep an enclosed trailer at my cabin in Maine for storage and keep a current Florida plate on it every year and pay the registration fees.  I just bring the new sticker and update it every year.  We sometimes use the trailer to move 4 wheelers or lawn mowers around up there. 
Since we have property up there I have been registering 2 atvs as a resident for almost 10 years.  We got a call down here last winter saying I owed the State money because I wasn't a resident.  The lady said that Game Wardens would be in touch with me.  I told her that's okay.  I'll just stop registering them as I'm only there for a couple of weeks and don't need to register to ride on my property.  She didn't have much to say about that.  They never did contact me again.  This all stems from people having summer places up there and locals complaining that they don't pay their share of taxes.  That's all baloney.  The money brought into that economy is nothing to sneeze at.  We spend our share and then some up there.  Not to mention, I've hired a well driller, an electrician and an excavation company.  We have spent a lot at hardware stores.  The food, fuel and incidentals adds up every year,   You see Maine Trailer plates all over the Eastern Seaboard on Tractor Trailer trailers.  It's quite the racket taking money away from other States.
Hipocrits.

DeerMeadowFarm

I hear you MH. I've got a lot of friends and relatives in Maine but I've also witnessed a lot negative attitude/inequality towards non-residents as well. Maine is good for wanting you to register your ATV, snowmobile, boat, etc. in their state. I always wondered if that would change if Mass suddenly required all Maine vehicles to be registered in Mass while travelling through the state....I think the snow birds wouldn't like it much.  ;)

Mooseherder

I always buy non resident fishing license.
It's not cheap for Few hours of fishing.

BargeMonkey

A -NYS- trooper hassled my dad a few years ago @ a traffic stop about the ME plates on our horse trailer, couldnt give him a ticket but wasnt polite. We put our 40ton lowboy back into NY plates just for the DOT end of it, and because of the over width permits, but 7 other trailers still have them. The woman we use makes it so painless, credit card on file and the plates appear in the mail.

Thank You Sponsors!