iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just the Facts, the Crown virus.

Started by doc henderson, March 12, 2020, 09:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kantuckid

From a non-doctor:
 Holiday Inn jokes aside,  (I dislike hotels & motels other than in a pinch of logic as to where else would I stay)  I suspect a person might just have tell a lie to get a mixed brand vaccination? Or do some states keep an overall register of whose had what?  

I do wish the media would refrain from using their deeply engrained tendency to dramatize things of all types such as covid-19 and anything else they can get their grubby hands on. It forces me to work harder to choose what to read and what has maybe got some meat to it. "How many masks Fauci wears" is but one meager e.g. of the mess we are in info wise. Whew, I need a vacation... ;D   
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Claybraker

I'm not that picky about hotels if the alternative is spending the night in my truck. I am picky about information sources and professor Schmitdke is one of my favorites. here is an excerpt

"Let's talk about the elephant in the room. Yes, the Johnson and Johnson vaccine does not prevent infection as well as the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. However the infections that do happen appear to be more mild than what we see for the unvaccinated population. And that's a good goal for vaccination too - to bring this pandemic's severity down to something similar to the common cold. We don't close schools or businesses for outbreaks of the common cold. This vaccine may not be as great as the other two (a good reminder of just how lucky we are to have them) but it is "good enough" to accomplish the goal of ending the pandemic. Look at what I mean in the table below. I discussed a similar table in Wednesday's newsletter. If we look at the efficacy of preventing hospitalization, then the Johnson and Johnson vaccine does quite well. At 14 days the efficacy is 93.1% and at 28 days the efficacy is 100%."

Vaccine Q&A, 26Feb2021 - Georgia COVID-19 Updates

kantuckid

I've read from certain medical experts that we shouldn't be comparing efficacy's of these new vaccines, as in a pick & choose mode, but truth is that we have arrived at that very spot and most of us would make use of some sort of choice basis.
 I walked into Kroger's yesterday off the highway (drove to my SIL's to trim her storm tree) and needed to pee. I had to walk the length of the covid shot line to the RR and thought about what ones going in their arms? In my area as I speak, the regional hospital has whatever(moderna when we went for ours) local health has whatever brand and several brands of pharmacies have there stash now too. 
From that perhaps people can now pick and choose vaccines? Not to point fingers at all but fact remains that most of us non-scientists are not really gonna learn to be an epidemologist via a the media.  :D

doc henderson

yes the numbers are from the studies done to seek emergency approval.  the J&J one only used one dose in the studies, so that is the number and what has to be used.  I will research mixing up the brands further.  it may be having 1 each of two different vaccines may be the best as it broadens the immune coverage.  that have talked about 1rst and second doses being different brands of the same type of vaccine.  It is possible that 2 doses of the J&J would have the same efficacy.  I agree it is about preventing death and hospitalization.  It is logistically easier to give one vaccine dose instead of two, as people do not always follow through.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

kantuckid

Going for the fence- Doc-how's about a third dose of something or ruther...?  ;D

Claybraker

Quote from: kantuckid on February 28, 2021, 11:10:06 AM
Going for the fence- Doc-how's about a third dose of something or ruther...? 
There's a small trial in Georgia I've been participating in. N=1. So far a steady dose of IPA has been 100% effective. Clearly more research is needed.

Ianab

Thing to remember is that any vaccine doesn't have to be 100% effective, or reach 100% of the population. As long as it's 90+% effective, and 90+% of the population get it, the virus dies out because 80% of the population is immune. 

The higher (and quicker) we can get those numbers the sooner the pandemic will die out. 

The mixing of different vaccines might be more effective, but it hasn't been tested properly. It could also increase the risk of side effects, no one knows for sure. 

A vaccination project doesn't need to be "perfect", "good enough" done sooner will be more effective. So now there are 3 approved vaccines it should mean the job can be done in 1/3 the time, and which one you get won't make a huge difference. 

NZ is back into partial lock down because some people can't understand the concept of "You've been exposed, get tested and stay home until it comes back negative".  
"Get tested then go to work, the gym and do some shopping on the way home" isn't an effective way to stop an outbreak, 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

kantuckid

and the sooner we can resume our senior travels and head for NZ to ride both islands... YEA!

Ed_K

Ianab, what happened? Heard on the news this morning that y'all went into full lock down :o :(.
Ed K

Chuck White

I never had any side effects other than a sore arm for about 1½ days!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

gspren

Wife and I just got home from getting our second shot of Pfizer, if we feel ok in the morning we are going to the beach house for a few days.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

doc henderson

we have gone to every other week on covid meetings, and considering stopping unless needed.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Texas Ranger

Much is being said about Texas Governor Greg Abbott opening up Texas.  With out getting into politics, the state has been suffering through natural disasters and political in fighting.  Business's closed, some for a year, schools closed, isolation of the populations.  

Abbot made a decision to stop state intervention into social/cultural norms in Texas and leave it to local leadership to continue covid protocol based on the locale.  Strange, imagine that, letting the locals decide.

I love Texas.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

doc henderson

I think that is what is happening here as well.  only half the people wear a mask in WM.  And lifting the mandate (our state still has one and our county is following their direction)  would prob. result in the same number of people wearing a mask anyway.  Just like the vaccine a high enough percentage results in better public health, and hospitals that can stay open.

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: doc henderson on March 04, 2021, 10:18:29 AM
we have gone to every other week on covid meetings, and considering stopping unless needed.
That's a great sign, Doc.  Number here have seemed to level off at a number about like we had back in the summer.  Its not great, but we will take it for now.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Old Greenhorn

Well I didn't think it would happen quite this soon, but the wife and I both got our first shots yesterday at noon. She had no issues last night and all I had was a little soreness at the injection site, kind of like a sire muscle, but very minor. No trouble sleeping beyond normal. This morning I have a small headache, but nothing else, wife is fine. Just glad we got it done so we can stop being run around like nuts trying to find out what the plan is, who has the vaccines, and when they are available. Our local county government really did a terrible job for the last mile, but they are getting the vaccine out there, just driving the population nuts trying to figure out their system, which changes twice a week. We got ours through a local private pharmacy that really has their act together on the logistics front. Our second shot is scheduled for the exact time and place as the first one in 4 weeks, this cuts down on scheduling issues.
 I am just glad its done. 8)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Chuck White

I thought the timing between the first and the second was critical!

I got mine on the 6th, then the second one three weeks later, on the 27th!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

YellowHammer

Hey, Hey Hey, my wife and I both tested negative, and we are back in the game, trying to get this mess behind us.  The lingering effects of Covid are still with us, but I understand that may take a few to many weeks to get over according to the practitioner at Huntsville Hospital.  

I went to the CDC website and they have updated guidance, March 3, related to several of the vaccine questions that are being asked here.  The physicians I have talked to all tell me the same thing, they themselves check the CDC site and base their recommendations on it.

Most of the questions are answered here, including the timing of the vaccines, mixing of types of vaccines, over vaccinating, and vaccinating after monoclonal antibody treatment.

Interim Clinical Considerations for Use of COVID-19 Vaccines | CDC
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

firefighter ontheside

The Pfizer is recommended for 3 weeks and moderna 4 weeks.   Both say its ok to get the second dose as much as 6 weeks after first.  The bigger issue was getting it too early.

YH, that's the same site I just got my info from.  It does have good info.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

kantuckid

Quote from: YellowHammer on March 05, 2021, 07:55:57 AM
Hey, Hey Hey, my wife and I both tested negative, and we are back in the game, trying to get this mess behind us.  The lingering effects of Covid are still with us, but I understand that may take a few to many weeks to get over according to the practitioner at Huntsville Hospital.  

I went to the CDC website and they have updated guidance, March 3, related to several of the vaccine questions that are being asked here.  The physicians I have talked to all tell me the same thing, they themselves check the CDC site and base their recommendations on it.

Most of the questions are answered here, including the timing of the vaccines, mixing of types of vaccines, over vaccinating, and vaccinating after monoclonal antibody treatment.

Interim Clinical Considerations for Use of COVID-19 Vaccines | CDC
Just read an article about a high level cellist in KY who's entire family got covid. He's young and healthy looking guy but suffers from the effects long after contacting covid. his sense of smell & taste has never come back and he's been told it might not ever return. His body has effects too such as when he reaches across his instrument one whole side of his body is affected. This is a guy who's playing the musical score for a new movie, so a very serious career event for him. All in his family have mostly recovered but he say's for people to never sell this virus short on how it can get to you.  

doc henderson

a good site for reference.  note it is labelled considerations, since this is all new and most specifics have not been studied.  so often qualified answers like "no evidence to suggest" ect.  It is the best we have!  thanks @YellowHammer and I am glad you guys are doing well.

Texas Ranger

Doc Henderson, a curiosity question on my part.  After one has his full compliment of vaccine, will he show positive for covid antibodies in a blood screen without actually having the disease?  I think I know the answer, but I was  never the one to ignore my curiosity itch.

doc henderson

You should show positive on most tests.  Our hospital does a "total" antibody.  It is what most places do.  you can differentiate between "had the vaccine" and "had the disease", but have to send that off.  only if needed for some reason.  you can still get the virus if antibody + but typically not be as sick or symptomatic.  so now the issue is can you spread the virus if you have been vaccinated, have antibodies, but get a mild subsequent infection.  this is why the big guns hesitate to say thing will get back to normal.

doc henderson

go give blood, and you will get a report about antibodies for free.  they need blood.

Schedule Your Blood Donation With The Red Cross

Texas Ranger

Thank You Sponsors!