iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diamond C Gooseneck Trailer

Started by Walnut Beast, November 21, 2020, 07:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walnut Beast

Walnut Beast

Wow. Got a call from dealer.  Trailer was on the way to the dealer and Semi driver was in a accident in Kansas. Four trailers all over the road. Dealers never had that happen. Nobody got hurt but trailers all over the road. Expensive load. My trailer was over 38k retail. I'm sure Jacob Crabb one of the family owners is stressed out. Six months out on new ones, plant shut down a week due to storm in Texas and now trailers all over the road. Owner and dealer were talking and it doesn't sound like that's happened very often. 

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Walnut Beast

Options can add weight 😂. First pic is same model trailer but longer and weight is 8,950 with chains , binders and dunnage empty. Second trailer 32' the guy just got also and said he was surprised the 7,600 on trailer sticker was actually 9,400. It has 17.5 wheels, disc brakes, oak floor and hydraulic tail. The 7,600 on the sticker is base trailer weight no options. That really got me thinking. I'm probably looking at 10,500 or more on mine 

mike_belben

I think you said you had farm exemption in your jurisdiction... You will be staying in that location only i hope? 

Those rigs are the ones DOT is hammering hardest these days because so many undercover hotshotters have turned it into a revenue jackpot.  I have crossed up to 7 scales in a single day running completely [i plead the fifth] without ANY trouble .. A slightly deeper look woulda put me OOS.. Those hotshots got the fine tooth comb. 

Just fyi.. In KY not having dot/mc/ifta/kyu tags in the window is gonna get attention with that trailer so have your exemption proof on hand at all times.  Theyll expect you to pull in at the scales too.  I mean you can just bypass and let em chase you dont but be prepared paper wise. 
Praise The Lord

hedgerow

Quote from: Walnut Beast on February 26, 2021, 04:45:14 PM
Wow. Got a call from dealer.  Trailer was on the way to the dealer and Semi driver was in a accident in Kansas. Four trailers all over the road. Dealers never had that happen. Nobody got hurt but trailers all over the road. Expensive load. My trailer was over 38k retail. I'm sure Jacob Crabb one of the family owners is stressed out. Six months out on new ones, plant shut down a week due to storm in Texas and now trailers all over the road. Owner and dealer were talking and it doesn't sound like that's happened very often.
So was your trailer damaged in the accident? 

Walnut Beast

Sounds like all all four trailers got trashed. He said I don't think you want it. and like most DC trailers coming in they were all sold so they had to make a few calls that they haven't had to do before. One of the owners is seeing how fast and when he can get them built

Walnut Beast

Since my trailer is getting built again I'm thinking of a few changes. I had the oak floor and dove tail but I might go full cleat on dove

Opinions 

Walnut Beast

I'm doing weld on deck on the neck from the factory but last time they didn't offer it and they wouldn't do it with the winch box up there together. It got ran by one of the owners and thy said no. I put a special request in to one of the owners this time and he said give me a napkin sketch and it sounds like he said they are going to make it happen. It's basically the cut out for winch box. I also did all steel deck on the neck. One thing about the all steel deck on the neck is it will be painted fully underneath 

Walnut Beast

Fold down spare tire option is pretty handy but a must if you have the deck on the neck

hedgerow

Quote from: Walnut Beast on March 02, 2021, 06:19:00 PM
Sounds like all all four trailers got trashed. He said I don't think you want it. and like most DC trailers coming in they were all sold so they had to make a few calls that they haven't had to do before. One of the owners is seeing how fast and when he can get them built
Sorry to hear about the trailer. I guess the good thing is you can make some changes now. Good you weren't waiting on it to make a living with it. Years ago when I hauled fuel I had ordered a new tank and it was in jack knife accident on the way from the factory and was damaged. Guy I had sold my old trailer to had already picked it up from me. Dealer rounded up a used trailer for me to use and there shop rebuilt the trailer. I ended up with a new cheap tank but it did have a salvage title. But at half price I had no problem with that. Never had any issues with that tank. 

chevytaHOE5674

I would go with the full cleats on the deck. Not really a downside to that setup.

Walnut Beast

I think that's the way I'm going to go. Talked to the trailer dealer today and he said they are the busiest they have ever been. And they already move a lot of trailers in a small town out in the middle of nowhere . People ordering trailers of all types like crazy. 

Firewoodjoe

I have been looking into a new gooseneck also. Mine is to short and tall. I want a low pro with 9' spread. I wanted a pj but keep hearing bad things about paint. Does anyone know if the diamond c has a better paint? 

Walnut Beast

Go to the Diamond C site and look under resources and there is a learning center there and a pretty cool walkthrough of there cleaning, powder coating and baking process pretty cool

Nebraska

Shoot just caught up on this sorry about the trailer disaster. I guess you get a redo on the options though.

doc henderson

on my pj the only paint issue is on the bottoms of the flip over ramps, some peeling.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: doc henderson on March 04, 2021, 01:45:32 AM
on my pj the only paint issue is on the bottoms of the flip over ramps, some peeling.
Can you give me a little back ground. Age and use kinda stuff. Thanks. 

Walnut Beast

Friend that delivered a machine with his PJ gooseneck that had electric ramps was showing me all the paint peeling off different places especially on the ramps. The trailer was less than two years old. Quite honestly you could have problems with any of them Depends on how much salt your rolling through or getting your trailer sandblasted on the country roads 😂

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Walnut Beast on March 04, 2021, 05:33:33 AM
Friend that delivered a machine with his PJ gooseneck that had electric ramps was showing me all the paint peeling off different places especially on the ramps. The trailer was less than two years old. Quite honestly you could have problems with any of them Depends on how much salt your rolling through or getting your trailer sandblasted on the country roads 😂
Sorry on your trailer. leastwise it happened to them hauling it and not you towing it.

On pj or pc. pc much better. back in the late nineties' we started pc'ing our ag equipment. the pc wood peal if the frames weren't sandblasted first. no exceptions. it wood vary, but none the less they wood peal also.

Busiest they have ever been...... Can anyone splain that? I talked to my favorite lumber yard owner yesterday about a quote I had sent over a few days ago and he apologized, but he's been the busiest he's ever been. He said it's unreal..... say_what
I've heard it's pent up demand from shut down states that are opening up, ok, but thought so many were unemployed..... so who's buying with what money? Now that i said that, houses here are crazy. Many, many are being sold to west coaster's, specially from comyfornia.  
Necessity is the engine of drive

chevytaHOE5674

Neighbor has a 3ish year old Diamond C trailer and it looks no different in the paint department than my same age Load Max. Gravel roads and Michigan salt treat them all the same. 

doc henderson

will check the age, but around 7 years maybe.  the ramps have a flat bit of metal that contacts the ground.  there are flaps of paint on these that looks like you could pull off.  no where else on the trailer.  these have flexed and bent in a few places.  I can get a pic.  the rustolium gloss black paint, looks the same and I touch stuff up, if I make repairs ect.  mine sits more than used.  hobby logger ect.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

hedgerow

I have a couple buddy's that are on the side equipment jockey's and haul a lot in the winter and on gravel roads. With them there are two schools of thought on trailers. One runs steel flatbeds and about every three years the road salt, gravel is starting to get to the paint and its starting to need brakes and tires he just sells the trailer and buys a new one. The other buddy bought a custom built aluminum flatbed probably been 15 plus years ago now and is still running it and it still looks good. I don't know which way is the best. I do know we went to aluminum stock trailers years ago and that was the best thing I could have done. All my flatbeds are steel but I don't haul in the winter on wet roads. 

firefighter ontheside

Whoa, that sucks.  Clearly Diamond C are no good if they can't handle falling off of a tractor trailer in a wreck.  I'd keep searching for one that would survive that unscathed.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Firewoodjoe

Thanks on the paint info. I kinda figured there's only so much that can be done. I think the biggest problem is they paint new steel. And it don't like to stick. But what do I know lol  anyways. Aluminum would be nice but I don't see any low pros. The machine I need it for is 10'8" tall. 

Thank You Sponsors!