iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber inventory

Started by Larry, October 30, 2002, 09:13:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I would like to make an inventory of trees on my 20-acre woodlot this winter.  Most of the trees are walnuts in the 12 to 16 inch DBH range.  The state forester marked trees for TSI about 6 years ago and I completed that.  I also pull out a few of the bigger low quality trees once in a while to saw for lumber.  I plan to measure every tree DBH instead of a small sample.  I need to know how high to measure on the trees and if there is anything else I need to check.

After I get my data I would like to calculate the present value and future value.

The reason I am doing this is because I will be selling my farm in the next year or two.  I don't want to have a timber sale or saw up the trees myself because the trees are to small and putting on a lot of growth right now.  

Any ideas to help me out?

Larry
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Ron Scott

Measure the tree's diameter at breast height (dbh), 4.5 feet off the ground on the high side of the tree with a diameter tape.

Determine the mechantable height of the tree in number of sawlogs and pulpwood sticks.

Record the tree species and its measurements.

Determine sawlog volume in MBF and pulpwood volume in cords and apply local market values for each. (See the Forum toolbox for appropriate tables to use in calculations.)

~Ron

Tillaway

Larry
I do allot of inventories.  If you are planning to sell in the near future I suggest you call a local Forester to do the inventory / appraisal.  A do it yourself inventory would carry little weight to potential buyers particularly if you can't show the statistics to back up your numbers.  Even if you do hire a Forester, the prospective buyer should either verify your inventory or do their own.

If you were planning to keep the land then a DIY inventory would be very usefull.    

Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

Larry

Tillaway,

I agreed with your thoughts completly.  Just thought that I would start with a DIY inventory to see what I have.  I walk the woodlot every winter anyhow just to kill the grapevines on the trees and a inventory won't be that much additional work.  If it looks promising I will talk with a Forester and after that a CPA as I am sure there will be tax complications.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!