iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone running the Woodmizer LX450 yet?

Started by Stuart Caruk, May 20, 2017, 08:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MbfVA

Diesels are expensive to buy, for sure, and not just any mechanic can work on them.  At the Ford dealership locally, one man does all diesels, and there was a crisis a couple of years ago when the one guy quit.

Automotively, diesel is good for trailer pulling, but noisy and yuk for acceleration (My gas Chevy 2500 with the 300 HP V-8 will way out run the Ford 350/diesel we have, unless pulling a trailer).

I go with my old science teacher:
Amps v Volts ~ Power v Speed
Torque v HP ~ Power v Speed
There's a pair for internet capacity v speed, too, but part of it eludes me at the moment and its getting late to go surfing for it. 🏄🏼🏄🏼

My recollection of the typical auto gas engine torque curve was a max at much lower RPM than for HP, and usually flatter.  Even flatter in a diesel.  The 6400 RPM torque peak for a gas car power plant in an prior post was odd.  That RPM would be more tied to peak HP, I would think.

Cost of road diesel is high right now compared to regular gas, and with off road hard to find, I usually fall back on using it in my smaller Diesel engines.  Tank on the Chevy has broken fuel pump.  Got to fix before I start using my bigger stuff (and ordinary hay round here is a loss, way too much due to rain rain rain).

Kohler gets Turner's (NY sawmill maker) vote since he has soured on Honda due to warranty issues with ethanol gas.  He likes the EFI.

Just a few newbie thoughts, from a certified newbie.  BTW, Jim H is modest--he is on his 3rd WM mill and I think into something like his 4th MM board foot level.  He was kind enough to demo his LT40 for me, nice cedar boards cut we did.  We have a couple of cedars, too, to put it mildly and I want to do our new house siding in it.

Gotta get a mill first!  Too many choices out there.  Swing blade vs band, ad infinitm....
www.ordinary.com (really)

Kbeitz

The fastest acceleration pickup that I ever drove was a diesel.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

4x4American

Yea there's plenty of diesels out there that are real fast...just depends what shes got under the hood.  I know the 7.3 powder joke at my old work is slower than molasses in January.  Their 6.0 F550 actually boogies pretty good (they have some work done to it) but it will pass everything but a shop
Boy, back in my day..

thechknhwk

Road diesel is the same as gas here, and my Duramax runs way better than my 6.0 gasser did.

nativewolf

I think that working solo a gas engine would work as fast as I want to.  I'd like electric because I don't want to do engine maint. 
Liking Walnut

tawilson

I am happy I don't have to lay awake on those cold winter nights wondering if my fuel is gelling up.  Lol.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Dave Shepard

I'm glad i don't have to lay awake at night worrying about my gas engine blowing up from ethanol related issues. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

dgdrls

Diesel fuel has more energy per unit volume than gas,
once you operate diesel equipment, its tough to go back to gas, diesels just make hard work easier.
Quality diesels are built to last well past the average service life of a
gas motor,

IMO Diesel is worth the extra expense in a portable mill
or any other place you need a power plant to get work done.

D

4x4American

I'm glad I don't lay awake at night lol
Boy, back in my day..

grouch

Y'all rest easy now. I lay awake worryin' about all you folks being glad about not laying awake at night.
Find something to do that interests you.

Randy88

If you guys would buy diesel's, you'd sleep good year round like I do.   

Thank You Sponsors!