iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fun Jobs

Started by Magicman, December 05, 2014, 12:34:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Some sawjobs make you smile when you drive up and this one was a perfect example. 

Relatively level and exactly as the customer had described.  He will set the logs on the sawmill loader with his FEL.

Nine 16' SYP logs with the largest measuring 27" butt end and the smallest 16" top end.  The customer scaled them at 1800bf.  I am set up and we will begin sawing tomorrow at 7AM.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

reswire

How do you find these kinda jobs??? >:(  I always get the knarley, curved log fruitcakes calling me.  They do pay though, and the wood comes off looking pretty good. Slow but the job gets done, and I make another paycheck.

You need to share your secrets Magic.  Or are you really the "Magic Man".  I would need a "magic wand" to get a stack of logs laid out like that for me... :D :D :D
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

Magicman

Funny that you should say that because the one that I will begin Wednesday AM is just as good.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Why didn't you set up in front of the pile?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

Notice the first picture shows the slope and the logs are much higher on the left side which would have been a very bad setup.  That is actually an abandoned gravel roadbed in the foreground and if he had staged the logs there, I could have set up in front of the pile.

The customer's FEL will do fine swinging the logs around and setting them on the sawmill loader.  These logs have not been skidded and are very clean.   ;D

Dave Shepard

Looks like fun to me. I also notice a distinct lack of glaciers in your photos. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

They apparently melted in this 76°'s.  Next week we are forecast to get down to a daytime bone chilling 60°.   Brrrrrr.

Cedarman

From the looks of it, MM lives in the land of tall straight pines.  That might be the secret.  If only ERC looked like those pines. :D :D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

mesquite buckeye

Patience. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

goose63

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

sealark37

Your jobs seem to be slipping a bit.  You usually have at least one lady to brighten the work day for you.  Just kidding.  Regards, Clark

Magicman

Time will tell and tomorrow ain't over yet.  I will have a special treat with Marty (Son) accompanying me for tomorrow's sawing.  Makes me Happy.   :)

Peter Drouin

Jobs like that are nice
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Nomad

I jump for joy when I get a job set up that nicely.  It doesn't happen often. ::)
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Magicman

After a rain delay we started sawing at 8:00 this morning and had finished sawing and had the lumber tallied by 4:00 this afternoon. 

This 12 year old shoveled all of the sawdust, stacked lumber, chainsawed the stickers to length, and parked the tractor when we finished.  He was never told to do anything, he asked what he could do and did it.

The total tally was 2938bf of framing lumber and 1X6, 8, 10, & 12's.  I used two blades.

Chuck White

Nice stack of lumber Lynn.

Good to see young help, really don't see it much anymore!  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

hunz

I am always amazed at what you can accomplish in a day Lynn. It boggles my mind me even being 26, and most likely in the best shape I will ever be. It tells me you know how to be efficient, while also being top notch at managing your off bearers. I always enjoy your posts on portable jobs, it keeps me grinning thinking I'll be doing the same when I'm your age! Part of me cant help but believe it's that Lt-40 super making you look so good!
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

scully

What a great set up ! I remain faithful that one day I too will pull up to a job as sweet as that ! It makes me feel good just seeing that they really do exsist ! smiley_fiddler
I bleed orange  .

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Nice work out....nice stacks!  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

loggah

Thats a good amount of work done well !! you better hire that kid ! ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Magicman

Quote from: hunz on December 06, 2014, 07:21:55 PMPart of me cant help but believe it's that Lt-40 super making you look good!
Part of you is very correct because I ask and the LT40SH delivers.  Reading and setting the log up properly for sawing also enters into good production numbers. 

Also, today I did not have to pick up a cant hook or handle the first board or slab thanks to three good off bearers.  I posted earlier that Marty would be with me today.  He was, and what a day it was.  Whatever we do together just clicks.   :)

4x4American

Wow real nice looking job there MM.
Boy, back in my day..

mad murdock

that there is a nice "whack" of a job well done!  very impressive!  So you said earlier that the customer figured 1,800 bd ft, and it ended up being 2,900 something? i must have missed something, either way I bet your cusomer had a wide grin after seeing the end results!  8) 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

WDH

Very nice that you could spend that quality time with your Son. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Thanks Danny.  I really wanted him to saw, but we both knew that he needed to keep the lumber moving for us to finish in one day.

Yup, the customer's log scale was off.  I do not know how he came up with the 1800, but I did point out that I would saw out much more than Doyle.  I sacrificed several flitches for stickers and there was about a dozen boards in the "cull pile" with wane, etc. that I did not scale.

Ga Mtn Man

Very nice job MM!

How do you scale your lumber (2x4 or 1.5x3.5)?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Magicman

I scale it as it is.  All scaling and billing items in my sawing contract are covered and signed by myself and the customer before any work begins. 

gimpy

Magic,

As a very new sawyer/mill owner, do you know of any online examples of your paperwork/contracts? You do great work and you have learned how to protect yourself and cover your bases.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

Magicman

I modified/customized mine from one that was printed in some Wood-Mizer literature.

Chuck White

Just "google" sawmilling contract and you'll get a bunch of contracts to choose from.

Just modify one of them to fit your needs.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Tree Dan

That\s what I call production...Glad you have the nice weather there.
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

thecfarm

That kid even had a tape measure to check out Magicman's sawing skills.  ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

You noticed.   :)

I'll start another framing lumber job tomorrow and I have to finish it by Tuesday because another is scheduled to begin Wednesday morning.  One more after that and I plan to quit sawing until next year.  Time for a break. (read that deer)

Foxtrapper

Our regular deer season ended today, but still have muzzle loader for another 9 days.  I find that having help really speeds up the sawing, and a FEL really helps.  I have neither most of the time.  Plus distractions like the pig getting out.  But all an all, I do ok for production, but not as well as you did MM.  That is a good days sawing right there..love them stacks of wood.. 8)
2014 WoodMizer LT28

Magicman

Today's job was not quiet as "fun" as Saturday's.  The customer had an emergency this afternoon so we will finish tomorrow.

I sawed 2X6's out of the two large 16' logs on the left and the rest will be 2X4's.  I discarded some of the "poles" in the center of the whack.  We may make 4X4's out of them if time permits tomorrow.

My Wednesday's job got pushed until either next week or next year.   ;D

Peter Drouin

Pole wood,  :D :D :D I have had customers think I want to cut one 2x4 out of it.  :D :D :D :D :D :D then tell them how much It will cost. They make a face and pull it out of the whack. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Yup Peter.  Some of those are 5" or less.   :-\  I have to finish this customer tomorrow because he has no more (vacation) time this year.  If we do not get to all of the logs, then they will be termite food.

I am juggling schedules with customers trying to get them sawed.  I am wanting to shut down most of the last three weeks of the year, so it will be next year for some.

WDH

Just saw em and leave em. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

WDH

He must be on a budget. 

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 08, 2014, 07:01:45 PM
Pole wood,  :D :D :D I have had customers think I want to cut one 2x4 out of it.  :D :D :D :D :D :D then tell them how much It will cost. They make a face and pull it out of the whack. :D :D

I cut some pole wood this morning. I don't think any of them were over 7.5" in diameter. It took just over an hour and the customer paid for two hours (his idea) and two bands and was very happy to get it sawed. I sawed them 1" thick. It was all chestnut. The only bad part was the two bands were brand new, I had no ReSharps. If I'd known there were going to be so many nails, I'd have used dull ReSharps. :D We hit metal on the first pass, but kept going, as it was sawing straight, just left a rough cut. That worked until we hit a lag bolt that was parallel to the band. That brought things to a stand still. I was surprised I could hit so many nails and keep sawing.

The kitty CAT fired up without a lot of fuss this morning, which was a surprise, as it was 9F. The Kubota started like it was plugged in, inside a heated shop on a beach in Hawaii. :D

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

I bid $0.00 because I have not finished and been paid for this job yet.  Look out tonight!!    :o

Magicman

I finished with 2304 bf of framing as well as some 1" lumber in ~10 hours of sawing and two blades used. 

The first blade was nearing it's sawing life before sharpening when I hit these.   

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Gumneck

Some of that SYP looked like it had been down awhile. If so, do you know how long? And any issues with insects if it was down long? Ihave some that's been down almost a year but off ground. Peeled the bark six months ago.

tks
tom

Magicman

I had to slab deeper on about four of those  logs to get below the sawyer worm holes.  Off of the ground is good, but it will not prevent sawyers.

We sawed the sawyer worm hole lumber into stickers which is not problem because I do not scale or charge for sawing stickers.

Swatson

I like that picture of the nail hits Magicman.  I know its not good for you, but it is cool to see how the blade degrades after each hit.  First one looks like a couple teeth outta whack then next hit four or five then last one many.  Its like reading a story.
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

Thank You Sponsors!