iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OK all you PSI and Pie R Square Minded People…...

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, December 10, 2014, 07:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I get some big WO, RO and Poplar logs from the tree guys sometimes. Logs 4-5 ft. dia. x 5 ft. long.
If I got my welding guy to make me some kind of splitting spear, would my D4 Dozer push that spear into that 5 foot White Oak log and split it?

Of course I would have to have the log against a tree to keep it from sliding.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WmFritz

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on December 10, 2014, 07:15:57 PM
If I got my welding guy to make me some kind of splitting spear, would my D4 Dozer push that spear into that 5 foot White Oak log and split it?

Have you been spending too much time watching 'Hillbilly Blood'?   ???
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

clww

It could be done, but if it was me, just spend the money and get a D8. ;D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

clww

"I think you're going to need a bigger boat, er GOAT".
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Dave Shepard

I don't think it's going to happen. Even a D-8 would have trouble doing that.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

goose63

Drill a hole down the middle put in some tanarite stand way way way back and shoot it
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

mesquite buckeye

Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Peter Drouin

I think the splitting wage would have to be a long one or wide so the wood would go by the dozer blade. You would have to push the wage more than ½ way I think.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

I don't think that your basal area is big enough to do that. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 10, 2014, 07:37:49 PM
I think the splitting wage would have to be a long one or wide so the wood would go by the dozer blade. You would have to push the wage more than ½ way I think.

You may be right. Just trying to come up with an idea using the equipment I have.

Peter Drouin

Maybe a tall stump 4' with a steel wage on it and you can push the log to it. I'm been thinking of something like that and use my 690 JD. But I think the JD will pull the stump out.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

customsawyer

Cut it as deep as you can with the chainsaw that you have and then use the teeth on your back-hoe and split it with that.  ;) It helps to put a couple of wedges in the saw groove so you can see where the teeth need to go.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

highleadtimber16

When my Grandfather was logging he had a D8 and a D4 with a wedge welded on the blade. He could split 8 foot wide fir and cedar logs no problem. I imagine they're a lot easier to split than oak though. It's worth a try, probably need to get a good run at it  :D
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

loggah

Drill a hole in the side of it,put in about a half cup of black powder pack it with the sawdust ,shavings with a fuse and blow it in half,easiest,quickest ,and cheapest. And its fun also !!!! ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

boscojmb

The D4 has between 10 and 15 tons of pushing force. Considering that a log splitter from the local big box store developes about twice the splitting force, the D4 may not be the best choice unless the wood is really straight grained,

OR

you get one heck of a running start.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
John B.

Log-Master LM4

ozarkgem

replace the backhoe bucket with a giant splitting maul and get a good swing.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

highleadtimber16

Quote from: ozarkgem on December 10, 2014, 08:37:12 PM
replace the backhoe bucket with a giant splitting maul and get a good swing.

Might be a little ruff on the boom!  ;D
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

So far "get a running start" is the most popular idea.  :D
Y'all are killing me......probably literally.  :D

loggah......I know you're gonna want pictures.  smiley_paparazzi They'll be Goat parts everywhere!  :D :D :D

boscojmb.....good info, I didn't know what the pushing power was.

Peter....it might work.  say_what

Bro. Been....Goat horn?  :D :D :D Good 1.

Jake....probably the less dangerous and something I can do tomorrow.

backwoods sawyer

Do you have a 6 way blade on the D-4?

Starting with a chainsaw cut, or deep crack and a well designed wedge should do the trick.

D-4 is a little light but once you get the wedge started in you should be able to work it till it pops open.

Could alway mount a jack hammer to assist in splitting.

Not so sure I would put head down and get a run at it though ;D

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on December 10, 2014, 08:50:47 PM
Do you have a 6 way blade on the D-4?

Starting with a chainsaw cut, or deep crack and a well designed wedge should do the trick.

D-4 is a little light but once you get the wedge started in you should be able to work it till it pops open.

Could alway mount a jack hammer to assist in splitting.

Not so sure I would put head down and get a run at it though ;D

6 way...8 way if ya count up and down. I may come up with a tall wedge.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on December 10, 2014, 07:48:37 PM
I don't think that your basal area is big enough to do that.

I have you know there are 98 acres around my sawmill.  ;D

47sawdust

I think Loggah has the best idea.Around here black powder splitting is pretty popular.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

WoodenHead

Excellent thread.  I have a client that wishes to have his 4ft+ diameter hard maple log quarter sawn.  I suggested that his best bet would be to find someone who has a swingmill.  You have given me an idea to build a giant wood-splitter though.  :D  A 4" diameter cylinder at 3000 psi would give you about 38,000 pounds of force.  A 6" diameter cylinder at 3000 psi would give you about 85,000 pounds of force.  Up the psi to 3600 and you can multiply by 1.2.  I don't know how much force is needed to split a maple or oak log though.   :-\ 

Thank You Sponsors!