iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cedar log and tree scales

Started by Larry, January 21, 2012, 06:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I had a copy of the cedar scale that Arky gave to me years ago.  Only problem is it only gives the scale for 8' long logs.  I bought some cedar today but the logger wants to cut mostly 10' which I really don't know how to scale.  In the past I would have used international which I thought was fair, but maybe not right.  Did a google search and found this:

Cedar tree and log scales

Why the Nebraska Forest Service would have any interest in cedar is beyond me...I didn't think they hardly had any way up there.

Something I also noticed is that it goes all the way too 24" diameter.  Any thoughts on that from you cedar guys?

Anyhow its here iffen ya want to use it.  I ran off a few copies to give to my logger friends.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Dewey

I saw Cedar  here in Maine... I buy random length  and usually pay by International rule.....  I have a couple of loggers that prefer being paid by weight  .... So I go eather way

WDH

Why is there a separate cedar scale?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Larry

I've also pondered that question.  My thinking is the prominent scale is Doyle in these parts.  Not at all accurate for small erc logs.  I sure would like to buy a load or two on Doyle.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

sandhills

I couldn't open your link, but to answer your question about why Nebraska would have an interest in cedar

Cedars grow like weeds in Nebraska  ;).  That's the "open" part of the pasture, the rest is thick.  :-\

okmulch

If you have an 8' scale simply prorate it to 10.  Divide what you pay for an 8' log by 8 and then multiply it by 10.
Cedar is totally different than hardwood.  Best log is second log up the tree, not butt log usually.  Best and highest value wood is heart wood , not the out side of tree.  Remember knots no defect.
Nebraska has lots of cedar.  Part of the plains that has seen cedar grow by leaps and bounds since fire is not part of the landscape any more.  Same reason Oklahoma has over 3 billion board feet of standing cedar sawlogs 6" and bigger.
No logger in his right mind would sell cedar on the Doyle scale since it is not even close on how many feet are in a small log. 
Like any log scale, it was developed to solve the problem of what is fair to  both the sawmill and logger for the species and sizes used.  ERC scale goes to 16", then Doyle does take over for these large logs.
Our mill when operating in Al was for logs 6 to 9" x 8'  . We did buy a lot by weight. 
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

okmulch

In Indiana, loggers also expect much better scaling on 12' logs because of taper.  For 16' logs, they are scaled at small end for an 8' and again in the middle of the log for another 8'.  If you won't do that, then don't expect and long logs..
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

Thank You Sponsors!