iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sobon shed questions

Started by simplertimes, December 08, 2012, 07:28:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simplertimes

Howdy All!

My first post, please be gentle.

I have quickly come to realization that TF can be a satisfying addiction.

I checked out Mr. Sobon's book from my county library, some thoughts that I am hoping to get answered. The 12 x 16 would be nice, I will be using it as a chicken coop (dirt floor with deep litter), so sills will rest on piers. I could end up with a little village of the sheds on my property for chicken coops. How do I manage end walls if I want doors in them?

Next idea, a  three bay 12 x 24 would really be NICE. The center bay would be for storage and sundries with ends being for coops. Any perceived difficulties in enlarging in this fashion? Would anyone share drawings or plans for this size? Willing to pay!

To head off obvious questions, my most favorite hobby is raising chickens. The kinds you see at county, district, and state fairs. 2012 was a very good year with Grand champion at county, breed champion at district, first place finishes at state. A few years back, the wife and I bought this place: 1500 sf house, 24 x 24 mancave, the rest of the 20 acres is mixed Northeast Arkansas timber with hardwoods and pines that will be used for wait ... You guessed it, TF! Not all of them though because I like trees in the upright position with those green things attached. The smell of wood is AWESOME, too.

Well, I have droned on. Before diarrhea of pen and constipation of thought truly set in, I am closing this but eagerly await replies.

Brian_Weekley

Welcome to the forum!

Many folks on this forum have built Sobon sheds so there's plenty of people that can help you out.  In fact, I'm currently building a Sobon style shed with the door on the gable end.  Adding another bent is no problem. 

If you haven't taken a TF course, I would highly recommend taking Jack Sobon's--it's a fantastic experience.  You also might want to consider a Dutch style design that he builds in the course which is stronger with extra bents.

e aho laula

Jim_Rogers

I believe I made up this drawing for another FF member.

It shows how to do a gable end doorway if you didn't want the cross sill to go all the way across.

If each post is secured properly to piers then you should be ok about not having a cross sill on one end and having an open doorway like this.

Good luck with your project and if you want some custom drawing done, check out this post:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,3603.0.html

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jay C. White Cloud

Welcome Simplertimes,

Sounds like a beautiful piece of property.  When I tell my wife I miss the Ozarks the way she missed Vermont, when we both live in PA, she understands.  Mountains are unique and really get in your blood.  I love living here in Vermont, but when I heard you describe the property I could almost smell it.  Those mountains are like no others and when you have blood there, it is really true.

If you can take a class from someone, it will be a good start for you, if you don't have any experience building structures, but if you have built anything like a cabinet, table, or hutch, it is very similar, just on a larger scale.  There is a place North of you in Missouri, Called "Dancing Rabbit," they may be teaching another workshop this coming summer, ask for "Ziggy."  If you read through this forum, you will also glean some wonderful information about different projects, methods of layout, use of material, etc.  It is a great jump-off spot for beginners to learn and ask questions.

I also have a fondness for chickens and miss keeping them.  I raised several types of "Bantams" and "Silkies" when I was still in school.  A timber frame is a great enclosure for them.  Last year I facilitated a frame, (see below,) for a client that will use it for an Avery-Green house.  She also keeps a variety of "ground fowl," and really likes the robust frames.  There are several ways to attach the meshing including "tenting," which is often done in zoos for different outside flight cages, back in the day, I've help build/repair a few.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

simplertimes

JC, Jim, & BW,

Thanks for being so gentle for my first time!

I feel like a kid in a candystore!

BW & JC, Would it be much trouble to get plans w/ dimensions and cut lists for the drawings that ya'll teased me with?

Jim, I appreciate your advice, truly enjoy your drawings. I will be contacting you for some drawings as other projects are completed that allow me in turn to plan more buildings... The wife has been dropping hints of the need for a gazebo, pergola, womancave, dogominium, ...

Ya'll have given me more to think about, I took a look at Grand Oaks and Dancing Rabbit (even emailed Ziggy) both are options to pursue. I would have the time in the summer and a friend to tend chickens, I am a Math teacher with a degree in Physics.

Jay - I do not live in the Ozarks but on Crowley's Ridge. The only break in the flatness known as Eastern Arkansas, the Rice Capitol of the World. I will wax eloquent about the area that I have blood in, Greene county. Our place is a dream come true for a kid that not much was expected of, we used my VA benefits and moved in on Labor Day weekend 2008 after a two year search for the right spot. We are one of the highest areas in the county elevation a little more that 400 ft above sl. Most of this area of the ridge is in timber, a few people have pastures for cattle, the nearest row crop ground is two miles away. Two sides of my property abuts public hunting ground, 13 miles to the nearest Lowe's and ACE Hardware. The place has soil that is a clay/gravel mix since it was the former riverbed for the Mississippi River, the New Madrid fault line is a short distance East of us. Back of the house are ravines with STEEP sides, great places for deer and turkeys but getting timber will be an enjoyed challenge.

My wife was raised in the county south of here, her Texas-reared parents are still there on the homeplace. They celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary last year. Her two sisters have families and careers in Texas.

All of this said to get to the point that this place is HOME, six years in the Navy, graduate school at Texas A&M and Penn State, been a lot of places considered a few as the place to settle have family and career but here I am back where I was raised and loving it.

The chickens I raise are Brahmas, two varieties of Marans (these lay a chocolate colored egg), Speckled Sussex, Buff Orpington, a variety of gamefowl called Redquill, and some Old English bantams. I have some pens that are cobbled together and am making do but would like to have facilities for their care that honors them and lets them live great lives.

Thanks for letting me share, this has been therapeutic, I think that I have found some new friends!

simplertimes aka Greg

Jay C. White Cloud

Morn'n Greg,

Thanks for little C.V., I know your area pretty well, but I'm going back over thirty years now before I joined the Marines.  I had a client/friend named Kenny that came from Jonesboro, we would then head to Southern Illinois, or the Ozarks for Rock Climbing or collecting snakes. 

My grandmother would keep game fowl around, she called them "teachers," because they still held much of the same base line ethology of the native game fowl.  Your birds are going to be lucky someday soon.  On that note, having built different types of ground pens, flight cages and aviaries, it would be helpful if I knew what you plan view layout of the site is you want to keep the birds.  Movable pens have become very popular or will your animals "free range," returning only in the evening to the pen?  Check out "Farmtech," for some of there "game bird cloth," you can also "canopy" a tree or area to create a secondary layer of protection from predators. There is a lot to consider.

Here is another resource you might find of use:  http://www.diytf.com/classes.htm

Regards,

jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

simplertimes

JC,

Back at ya w/ the Good Morning!

Yep, I've had those internal discussions. This past summer relocated 8 raccoons, my box trap was directly in front of door to cotton wagon coop. Wednesday I skinned a 30 inch sow coon. Yard dog, a foundling, is praised when dead coons are left in yard. Coyotes, now that fur has primed, will get to meet Ms. 22-250. Yard dog also lays the law down to them.

I have a couple of "moveable" pens, they don't get moved much. Plan is to have several sheds with multiple yards so that "free range" can be rotated and green forage can be grown most of the year.

I do like the drawing that you posted, please more details about it.

Greg

Jay C. White Cloud

Hi Greg,

Well, if you make the effort to download "Google Sketchup" to your favorite computer of choice, I'll send you a copy of the plans.  The program is easy to learn and use.  It has really opened up a new world for many folks, allowing them to do things only the "experts," could do a few years back.  Now the program is not going to "engineer," anything or make you a good designer but it will allow you to look at, manipulate and correspond with folks, your ideas and concepts.

Just go out on Google, enter "sketchup," and you will soon be on your way.  After you have "fiddled," with the program some, let me know and I'll send you the file and we can discuss things more.

Regards,

Jay

P.S. this is a good link to give you an idea of part of my "specialty" in timber framing:  http://www.detail-online.com/architecture/news/from-tradition-to-tourist-attraction-dong-wood-construction-019375.html

Leigh Family Farm

Welcome to the Forum! There are some great video tutorials for SketchUp and you will have it down in no time. When did you attend PSU? '03 CLJ BA alum. Good luck on the chicken coop.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Jay C. White Cloud on December 09, 2012, 09:54:50 AM
and I'll send you the file and we can discuss things more.

We have a section here for posting sketchup plans for all to download.

You could use that section to post any plans you wish to share.

Thanks

Jim Rogers

Jim_Rogers

Check out this link for a set of plans for a 12' x 16' shed in the FF for sale section.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,62408.0.html

simplertimes

Kilgrosh,

93-94 coursework, 98 MEd in Educ Admin

To ALL,
I'll get up to speed on sketchup this later this afternoon and evening!

THANKS

krusty

Greg,

I have come to the conclusion Sobon wrote that book as some sort of Zen experience. If you grew up watching Kung Fu (The Legend) it may make more sense, or even The Karate Kid. He did not give the drawings as a full easy to read picture with measurements. Some of it you need to figure it out as you understand and comprehend. There is absolutely nothing missing in his book but I speculate he decided to have some fun with his readers and make them think. Also reminds me of a cruel Calculus prof I had in Engineering.

No need to buy plans or even sketch them up yourself. All will become clear as you start cutting joints and read the book enough times to really figure out the missing dimensions :)

Scaling it in any direction becomes trivial and he covers it in his book in random places.....

K,

simplertimes

Krusty,

THANKS!

Calculus operates in a fashion you described regarding Sobon's book and also similar to most of the ladies that I "knew" back in the day when I was a bachelor, you gotta get under their skirts to understand how they are useful.

Calculus is like a good set of chisels, an excellent set of tools when used correctly in the manner they were designed.

Speaking of chisels, I have been surfing eBay, hope to get a few soon.

I am getting excited for my upcoming Chritmas Break, 3 days of deer season, and a week or more to run the chainsaw cutting firewood and timber for posts, beams, sills, rafters, girts, and braces. GOOD TIMES!

Best of the Holidays to ALLL!
Greg

Thank You Sponsors!