iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw production study

Started by Firewoodjoe, November 11, 2017, 09:11:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firewoodjoe

I'm looking for anyone's experience on hand bucking productuon. Weather felling and bucking or behind a feller buncher. Even better if someone knew of a study that was done that shows. I know there out there. I've found a few done by states or universities but not good ones on chainsaw. I'll keep looking. Thanks.

quilbilly

It's so wood dependent. In clean softwood around 20 inch dbh 3-4 loads per day bucking in the landing. If I bust my rear and the wood is really clean I can get another load or two. Landing setup is a big deal too. If we can only buck 2-3 logs at a time it slows things down. If I can get 5-6 trees per time then production goes way up
a man is strongest on his knees

Firewoodjoe

Thus would be low grade hw some logs but mostly bolts and pulp. Forwarded. How many feet/cord on your loads. We haul 10,000 feet 20+ cord loads here. I know your loads are much small cutting that many :)

Firewoodjoe

Well I'm not having much luck. I've found one from 1946 with buck saws! And one from another country. They were averaging 35" DBH and averaged 5.68 cord per hour per man! Must be big long logs.

Firewoodjoe

Found another study in Poland for black alder and scots pine. They produced 2-4 cord per hour per man. I couldn't find a average dbh.

Mountain_d

In Canada we have an organization called "Forest Engineering Research Institute of Canada" (FERIC) that does published research on such topics. Do some web searches and try find a list of reports completed. If the title sounds what you want you can purchase the report from them. The reports are not that expensive and they do a real good job on the research and report. They produced an interesting report on use of farm tractors for use in forestry for Woodlot management. I remember looking at that one about 20 years ago and found it very interesting (various guards etc that could be added). Mountain D.
1978 TJ 230E 3.9L Cummins 4B, Husky 372XP, Husky 61, Husky 266XP, JRed 625, Husky 265RX clearing saw,  Woodmizer LT40HD 1995, Kubota 4950DT (53hp 4WD), Wallenstein V90 Skidding Winch, John Deere 610 backhoe, 1995 Volvo White GMC WCA42T SA Dump Truck, 2004 Ford F-250SD 4WD, , Central Boiler OW

Firewoodjoe

Thank you! Ive done a lot of searching and found a lot from other countries but it's not what we cut. Very large trees. Or from the northwest. Also large trees so there production numbers are a great deal higher then ours. I'll look for what you mentioned.

Riwaka

Not quite the right subject area.
Quick browse of this- even back in 2003? a timberjack 460 cable (150hp) was pulling the wood quicker in a 50 acre stand than the faller could put trees  on the ground with a Husky 372.

Wang, J., Long, C., McNeel, J., Baumgras, J., 2004: Productivity
and cost of manual felling and cable skidding in central
Appalachain hardwood forests. Forest Prod J 54(12): 45–51.

https://www.fs.fed.us/ne/newtown_square/publications/other_publishers/OCR/ne_2004_wang001.pdf

Li, Y., Wang, J., Miller, G., McNeel, J., 2006: Production economics
of harvesting small-diameter hardwood stands in
central Appalachia. Forest Prod J 56(3): 81–86.
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.550.2438&rep=rep1&type=pdf

http://www.kylesconverter.com/volume/board--feet-to-cords

Cross cutting/ Bucking is going to a function of the skills/ (&tools available) of the log maker.

maple flats

That topic is so variable I think you are better just running random timing and finding an answer with whatever your situation is. Big straight logs on well run landing where big loads can come in at the right rate for the one bucking will likely win every time. If loads over whelm the bucker he slows and if he(or she) has to wait it will also slow down. Also, the outgoing loads need to leave promptly.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

Firewoodjoe

I know there's a lot of variables. I'm only looking for the cutters ability to cut down and buck trees. That's it. I dont care about skidding or trucking. And I realize some guys are slower or the timber is bigger or just limby or the land is flat or hilly. But I would think I could come up with some good facts and a better business plan if I had something. Like a man cutting lodge pole pine in 16 footers and a man cutting poplar into 8s. You could calculate those "close" to the same. Thanks for the help.

Firewoodjoe

Actually Riwaka table 1 in your post is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks.

Firewoodjoe

Well I'm looking for short wood bucking but this still helps.

mike_belben

What do you need the info for?  Just curious
Praise The Lord

Firewoodjoe

Possible start up business. Bank like to see all the info u can get and I like to do all the paper work before I take the risk and "think" I can make money. And also I'm calculating cost vs production of a feller and hand felling. I know there's is a gain in that but it's not just about the gain in production but my goal is also low overhead and simpler repairs. Prolly over thinking but that's what I do. :)

Southside

Well, I have done it both ways and I can tell you that in typical wood in the eastern US, on reasonable slopes (ie - the deer don't have two legs shorter than the others) there is no comparison to what a guy hand felling can to compared to the work of a buncher.  I don't just mean production either, quality of your remaining crown, reduced ground trash, ease of collection for the skidder.  Then there is the whole injury, fatigue, issue that sets in.  You can find decent bunchers for short money.  My '92 Franklin 5000 is completely mechanical, very reliable, and most parts can be found at NAPA or online.  I do hand fell high grade trees and oversize ones with a serious lean or other complication to them as it is quicker and cleaner to do it that way in select cutting, but the Husky does not see nearly as much wood as she did in the past and my production has gone up along with the quality of my finished areas.  Just my $0.02 worth. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!