iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ok ..WHATS THE BOTTOM LINE

Started by AtLast, June 01, 2003, 09:23:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AtLast

The information thats here is tremendious...only problem ( for me ) is theres sooo much of it  :-/..I guess if things were set up so there was a place on here that gave general bottom lines in regards to fees...pricing...average set up charges...I realize each sawyer and region that sawyer is in plays a role in this ..but there seems to be somewhat of an " average" ..I guess what I need is a chart or a " layout" that explains the variables in relation to fees....when I saw I typicall charge 30 set up .30 b/f ..30 if I hit tramp metal of 15 if the cust wants me to scan and assume responsibility ...am I on track here of completely confused?
 ???

Fla._Deadheader

I am charging 25 .25 and 25. I add .10 if I have to supply labor and extra if there is anything extra that comes up. Looks like ya got it covered.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Brian_Bailey

Atlast-  The bottom line is you're either making money or you're not.  If you're not, you had better change something so you are.  
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

dewwood

I agree with Brian.  Everyone has a different bottom line.  One operation may not have any debt and is working on a return on his investment, another may be over extended and working to try to catch up(this is where people start undercharging just to get work and that's the worst thing to do) the other type is the hobbyist who just does it for "the fun of it" and bottom line is not all that important.

You just have to work with your own numbers and do what is comfortable for you.

Dewey
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Percy

This bottom line thing can get real confusing at times(for me anyways). :D

There were these fellas that were underselling me bigtime  on Western Red Cedar a few years ago. They had access to their own logs and therefore were able to sell lumber cheaper than me. Thing is, once you did all the guzzintas, they coulda made better money selling the logs and sitting on their keesters.....well they aint around anymore....good thing ya...

I guess the point of this is, if you get a super deal on the logs(lower than current market value), you can pass a little on to your customers in the way of slightly lower prices BUT when things turn around and the log prices rise, youll be in for a fight trying to get the lumber prices up.....soooo.....I tend to cost everything on market value and see if I can make a buck at it that way, if not, I move on....
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Frickman

My accountant, attorney, insurance agent, and banker don't work for free, and neither do I. I feel that I am as much as a professional as they, and I should be compensated for my work and knowledge. I also learned that I can't be everything to everybody, so I pick and choose the jobs that are profitable for me. If I can't make money at it, why do it? There are plenty of things needing attention around the farm, so if I'm going to work for free, I'll do things for myself.

Frickman
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

wiam

" if I'm going to work for free, I'll do things for myself. "

That is a big part of life.  :)
Will

AtLast

well heres an example

I have been hired to cut some logs that are lined up. They want 2 sides sawed flat. They are building a " log cabin" structure and want to be able to stack the logs. I told them it would cost 30 for set up and either can contract for the day at 300...or 40 an hour based on an 8 hour day equalling 320...is that to low?...to high?..just right?...other jobs I have done are 1 or 2 logs but again I charge 30 set up, mileage after 20 miles, metal detector fee of 15 per log at .30 a b/f...typically the logs are 26" diam....typically 12' to 15' sawed into 4/4

It frustrating bein a newbie.... :-/....I dont doubt all you each say is totally true ..I dont knock any of it...I guess what Im asking is, is there such thing as an " average" ??? :-/ :)

Jeff

I say if you are tickled with what you have accomplished at the end of the day, satisified with whats in your pocket, your customer is happy and tells you they will call again and refer you, then you cares what anybody else is charging?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

I think that what you  charge is going to be a decision you will have to make based on the local economy and how much you expect to see in your paycheck at the end of the day.  How you  charge is really the question.  

I would be uncomfortable charging for piece-work since logs will be different and labor may be encreased as the day wears on  because of the slabs and stacks of finished logs.

This seems like an ideal "hourly" job and $40 per hour isn't unreasonable. When I was trying to come up with an hourly charge years ago (I've never had to saw hourly) I based my $50 an hour on the fact that tractor mowing and backhoe work was $35 to $60 per hour.  You need to be prepared to answer the question "why are you getting $40 an hour while we are moving logs and you aren't sawing?" and other questions of the same vane.

Frank_Pender

It is all relative.   I offer to saw logs for $65 an hour.   That would include bucking (if needed), pressure washing each log, and sawing.  Otherwise I tell them I will saw their logs for a specific amount per board foot, plus the washing of each log.   Various species have differing prices.  It is all relative to me.
Frank Pender

AtLast

WEll....I feel alittle better....at least you guys didnt say " ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND!!!".... ;D...I thank you all for the input...I guess Jeff is right over all...although I enjoying sawing so much that I was afraid to let my fun end up costing me money... :)...thanks for the input

Brian_Bailey

AtLast -  Sometimes just money isn't the bottom line. It all depends on what one is striving for in our short trek in life.
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

AtLast

Thank You Sponsors!