iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cascade Mtn firewood pile (first pic)

Started by BW_Williams, June 07, 2003, 09:33:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BW_Williams

Hey all, trying my hand at posting pics.  This should be a pic of my mill setup at a loggers firewood pile.  Got some nice lumber out of this stuff, Doug fir.  BWW
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

Fla._Deadheader

Good on ya with the pitcher postin!! Nice whack of logs. Yer sawyer looks dog tired though. ::) :D :D :D :D :D

How do ya maneuver yer mill around them long logs?? Looks like a lot of set-up take-down for each log ????

How about a guess on average bdft per day, including moving logs or mill or ????
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

BW_Williams

Harold, I guess the pic is kinda decieving.  Those log in the background are 33' long, I take the big Hitachi in the background and sort for the logs I want and buck them (see the fresh cuts on the right) these were 12' 6" and 8'.  You just raise the rails and roll the next log on the skids, chock it and away you go.  Working by myself cutting 2x and 4x  I averaged 100 bdft/hr on this job, but that included sorting the logs, bucking and site clean up.  That darn loader is so fun to run, I'm not too worried about production!  Good news is this logger brought another truck load or 2 home, due to heart rot, and their even bigger 3-4'.  But the big mills won't take 'em.  The ones I don't mill up, he makes firewood out of, better than leaving them lay in the woods for fuel.  BWW

shopteacher

BW, is that a Peterson swing blade mill?  I sent to them for a video and find the operation of their mill quite interesting to say the least.
 I have a WM and like it very much, but from the little I've seen and read, seems like the quarter saw capabilities of this type machine would be quite an asset.  Would like to hear your take on the mill, good and any bad. Thanks
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Fla._Deadheader

With all that time not sawin, I would say that's pretty DanG good footage. Thanks, That's what I needed to hear.
  Them Big machines are really fun to run, no matter what kind they are . 8) 8) :D :D

Can't wait to get some logs cut and sold, so I can start mountin the Swinger to my mill bed. Runnin short of cash really SUX. :o ::) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

KiwiJake

BW_Williams

Shopteacher, Lucas 618, fits my needs well, part time sawyer, very versital, within my budgit.  BWW

Paul_H

There is nothing wrong with a Lucas.The guy that brought his Lucas to our sort a couple of years ago made short work of the logs he picked out for VG.He drew a good sized crowd.

KiwiJake,
Was that you that was building a mill a while back?How is it coming along,any pics for us?
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

KiwiJake

Paul yep your right theres nothing wrong with a lucas in fact it's a great mill, it's a swing blade!!! But lets be clear Peterson is red :).

I may have mentioned something about building my own mill, quite a while back I did, it did me well. It was a Peterson design similar to the ATS. It was just a money saving exercise with the consent of Petersons with some personal mods. I've since sold it.

Our Fieldays is coming up in NZ, I'll upload a bunch of pictures of the mills under a new thread when it's finished. Maybe some of the "Automated Swinger too". The National fieldays is HUGE.

woodmills1

Don't ya just love makin dimension out of someone elses firewood?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!