iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Yesterday we had a record high of 69°.  Made a quick trip to town a little bit ago and saw guys fishing on the lake in short sleeve shirts.

Right now we have tornado warnings, tornado watches, flood warnings, and high wind warnings.  Thankfully they left the dreaded "S" word out of the forecast. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

JV

Yesterday was in the 30's with ice on the ground, cold, damp, and misty rain.  Today it's 61 degrees with thunderstorms predicted this evening then clearing off with temps in the 30's and low 40's.  Oh well, at least we can see bare ground now.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Warbird

It is -23°F at the airport this morning and -20°F at my house.  Fire went out last night because I forgot to damp it down.  It was a chilly 65°F in the house this morning.  Supposed to get really cold this tonight and tomorrow.

sawguy21

We are digging out from record snow and cold temperatures. It is raining (the roads and sidewalks are going to be a real mess) with predicted high of +8 (about 42F) and above freezing at night all next week.  ???
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

What's a sidewalk? All I got is asphalt, leave that and it's ditch and snow and bushes. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

stonebroke

Swampdonkey the sawguy must live in civilization.

Stonebroke

thecfarm

What's asphalt?All I got is dirt and so called ditches.
Just about freezing here now,with a light rain.They sanded the dirt road.We left Portland which must of been in the 40's to get back to the hill just about freezing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I guess I'm not quite as civilized.  :-\

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

moonhill

And with these warm spells that dirt road becomes the ditch, so you don't even have the dirt road anymore. 
It's like Spring hits once a week.

Tim
This is a test, please stand by...

isawlogs

Its 2°C with the sun out in full glamour ....  Side walks /asphalt ... must be an urban thing  ;D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tom

Y'all sure are lucky up there to have a city government to pay so much attention to you.  Down here, when it rains, they just wait for it to stop.

I don't think I've ever seen them spread sand on road. Nature does it at the beach. The wind blows it over the road.  The roads get salted about the same time.  If you don't get a grader out there in time, you lose the road.  But, we don't have that happen when we get away from the beach.  I guess that is one of those "perks" that is provided for the Yankees that live on the beach, to remind them of home.  :-\

I did see them dig a ditch across a perfectly good, new, road to lay a culvert.  I haven't figured out why yet, but I've given it considerable thought.  I figured that the hump it would leave was to act as a rumble strip to keep folks from going to sleep on that smooth road.  'Course, it might have been to let the snowmelt get to the ditch on the othersided too. :P :-\

stonebroke

Tom, Are you making fun of us Northerners?

Stonebroke

Warbird

It is -27°F here this morning.  Had to turn on the boiler run to the crawl space and master bathroom yesterday.  :(  Can't heat the crawl space with the wood stove and the master bedroom/bathroom are the furthest away from the wood stove.

They are predicting we could be in the longest cold snap since 1989.  Supposed to get into the -40's for a major portion of this week.  Oh noes!  Ice Age!

Tom

Quote from: stonebroke on December 28, 2008, 09:36:11 AM
Tom, Are you making fun of us Northerners?

Stonebroke

Would I do that?? :D :D

stonebroke

Warbird

The weather guy just said to expect -50°F temps for the nightly lows mid to late this week.  Nice balmy weather, that.   ::)   He also said it is currently -37°F with 97% humidity.  Talk about cold you can feel  :o

Tom

Warbird......  Is that a dash or a minus sign?   Why do you live in such a place? Brrrrrr

WDH

97% humidity :o :o :o.   That hurts!!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

Minus fifty?? :o :o  Shucks, I get cold when it is plus fifty!!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

beenthere

As they say  -- "It's not the humidity, it's the heat"....or lack thereof.   ;D ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Warbird

Heh.  That's a minus sign, Tom.  I live here because I love Alaska and compared to the lower 48 states, there aren't many people here.  If my back weren't so bad, I'd buy a mill and move south.  Would sure love to live in the U.P. but don't know how I'd feed my family and make a living there.

WDH: Just checked the numbers here at my house, it is -27°F outside with 85% humidity and 74°F inside with 22% humidity. 

wi woodcutter

Warbird I've been to Alaska many times, my step-brother lives in Fairbanks. I am very sure that Alaska is the best place in the world.

The first time I was in Fairbanks we got back to my step-brother's house he threw some water out the door and it froze before it hit the ground!

Now that's COLD! 
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

beenthere

My second time I was in Fairbanks was in June ('04 I think), and I was snapping a photo of the sign in the lot at the Fred Meyer store as it read 97°. But as I snapped the pic, the sign jumped to 98°.  So the temps can fluctuate a bit there...

The first time, the temp on main street was -50° F.  ::) ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

stonebroke

I always thought the colder it got the lower the humiidty was. Something about the air just colder hold any more water.

Stonebroke

SwampDonkey

My uncle was working on the Mactaquac Dam in the 60's and they had hired an East Indian man to work. It was a hot summer I guess, a few days near 90 ° through the summer. Then in the winter it was typically cold down near 0° and some -25°'s. The fellow told my uncle what kinda of place is this anyway? Hot in the summer and freezing to death in the winter. I don't think he lasted more than a year and went to warmer climate.

Thank You Sponsors!