iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

Sounds like Tom needs some wigwam action Donk, but not the kind we wear. The kind with the sticks poking out the top where smoke comes wafting out up to the Great Spirit. A bear skin bed would be more comfy than aboxspring I bet. ;D

Them teepees sure look warm and cozy inside, in the movies. I bet if you pass the peace pipe around enough they is plenty warm. :D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

SwampDonkey

I seem to recall they looked more cozy when big chief had lots of Hudson Bay Point blankets and buffalo hides. The chief with the tallest stack of blankets and hides had a few extra female companions to keep him warm.  And he didn't have to go out in the cold. Right up Tom's alley, keeping warm I mean, at all costs. :D :D :D

He and Dang looked like they were cold when they were looking at that pine, all well rounded and wrapped in heavier garments. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

TexasTimbers

Quote from: stonebroke on January 26, 2009, 04:31:36 PM
Have you ever gone up and visited Warbird?

Stonebroke

No I haven't visited Warbird. He seems like my kind of folk for sure, but let's keep it in perspective; I said people who complain about cold are sissies. People who willingly go to Pluto are insane. ;D

Warbird

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 26, 2009, 06:02:54 PM
Right up Tom's alley, keeping warm I mean, at all costs. :D :D :D

LOL!!

Quote from: TexasTimbers on January 26, 2009, 08:00:59 PM
Quote from: stonebroke on January 26, 2009, 04:31:36 PM
Have you ever gone up and visited Warbird?

Stonebroke

No I haven't visited Warbird. He seems like my kind of folk for sure, but let's keep it in perspective; I said people who complain about cold are sissies. People who willingly go to Pluto are insane. ;D

Careful about visiting here...  Alaska is contagious.  ;)

Radar67

I heard a line in a movie yesterday that made me think of Warbird. "The reason we live here is because we are the only ones who can survive here."
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Warbird

Radar67, the problem is, 'they' are trying to 'civilize' Alaska by making it easier to live here.  We have had a ton of 'box stores' open up in the last 3 or 4 years here in Fairbanks.  I really don't care for it.  Sadly, the population is increasing here.  It isn't very fast because a lot of folks simply can't handle the combined cold and the dark.

Guess if it gets too crowded around here, I can always move to Antarctica.  LOL  Honestly, I'd love to move to the UP or maybe closer to the parents-in-law in Arkansas, but it'll be a while before we could conceivably do it.

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Warbird on January 26, 2009, 08:37:01 PMHonestly, I'd love to move to the UP

The UP is cold and very snowy so that makes it gray most of the time, thats kind of like darkness. If you get away from the few "big" towns we only have a few box stores, and not many people.

TexasTimbers

The only thing I know about Michigan is what I learned from watching Fargo.   ;D

And the best LTL freight company on the planet is headquartered there.  8)

nas

Quote from: Radar67 on January 26, 2009, 08:28:08 PM
I heard a line in a movie yesterday that made me think of Warbird. "The reason we live here is because we are the only ones who can survive here."
Are you sure that wasn't Winnipeg they were refering too? ;D
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Radar67

I'm pretty sure they were talking about Alaska, since that is where the movie was set. ;)

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

nas

Sorry Radar67 you just reminded me of a Simpsons episode where they went to Winnipeg and the sign outside the city said "Welcome to Winnipeg, we were born here, what's your excuse".  I'm sure I could survive Alaska better than Winnipeg!

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

TexasTimbers

Quote from: nas on January 26, 2009, 09:20:38 PM
Quote from: Radar67 on January 26, 2009, 08:28:08 PM
Are you sure that wasn't Winnipeg they were refering too? ;D

Nas, you are confusing Winnipeg with Mystery Alaska. Mystery had a real Hockey team at one time. :D

Warbird

OKay Rad67, what movie was it?  Did a quick google search and didn't find it. *edit* Nevermind.  Someone just answered my question right as I was asking it.  ;D  Guess we'll have to put that one on the list.  Never seen it.

Radar67

You'll have to add another one then, cause that ain't it.  :D

Radar67

I was watching  "30 days of night"

TexasTimbers

Radar I think I cornfused the Bird with my Mystery quip to nas. He posted less than three minutes after me, and since he prolly loves the movie, got lost in the nostalgia and lost track of the thread. :)

thecfarm

What a mess this storm has become.Some states are getting ice storms.We are looking for a big snow storm.We may get a foot and a half.Looks like I'm right on the edge of a foot or a foot and a half.Looks like the coastal area will get hit hard again.Just like the ice storm they had probably a month ago.They got ice,we got snow.Most time they get 3" and we get 6" of snow.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Meadows Miller

Gday

Tcf just send that extra 3" you dont want down my way mate  ;)  :D :D :D ;D its 11.30 pm now and its still about 90 F back up to 100+  by 10 11 am and 110to 120 + f by midday with hot northerly winds   been like that for the last few days and wont letup till sunday :o :o :) ::) ::) ::)

Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

isawlogs

Hu ,... Chris , we are talking about the weather , not the inside temperature of your oven  ;D :D :D   I will keep my snow anytime over what you get ... anytime .  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Meadows Miller

Gday

Should I have posted in the cooking/food board  ;) take one aussi work hard in the morning and get him real ticked of with a dash of heat stoke and bake till around lunch then refigerate lett him cool down then add another dose of hard work in the arvo then he'll be ready for dinner around 9pm  ;) :D :D :D ;D

Isawlogs thats probobly the best way to descibe it mate  ;) :D :D :D :D ;D I could have almost been a Canadian dad was overthere in 88 for awhile and we where gonna move there but because mum had allready moved from Belfast Ireland to Aust in 69 she could not take residancy in Canada im still thinkn heading over for a spell as one of dads mates runns a log building company in BC ive had other job offers there also  ;D ;D
You dont get much done on the hot days  ;)   the only thing left to do on hot days is to kick back with the ac on and a nice cold drink  ;D there aint much else you can do   ::) ::) ::) ::)

Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

WH_Conley

Anybody heard anything from members in the storm area?

I see we have a pretty limited showing from western Ky and Ark. Only thing I have read was a post by LeeB from his wife.

Looked like we were gonna get hammered, the ice stopped just short of being serious.

How ya doin folks?

Bill

Lanier_Lurker

Quote from: Meadows Miller on January 28, 2009, 07:30:43 AM
Gday

Tcf just send that extra 3" you dont want down my way mate  ;)  :D :D :D ;D its 11.30 pm now and its still about 90 F back up to 100+  by 10 11 am and 110to 120 + f by midday with hot northerly winds   been like that for the last few days and wont letup till sunday :o :o :) ::) ::) ::)

Chris

Yep, I saw some of the highlights from the Australian Open.  Courtside temperatures were getting well above 50C.  I think they stopped or delayed some matches due to the extreme heat.

thecfarm

I hope all is well.Probaly plenty with no power and lots of ice and tree damage.1998 all over again.I wish all them well.
We got about a foot. I watched the local news and all they talked about was the snow here.  >:(  No big deal here.It was just snow.It did turn to freezing rain down by the coast,but nothing bad.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thompsontimber

We haven't had any ice or snow down here, just got a bit of rain the last couple of days. However, have had a crew out of work thanks to the ice storm all the same.  Broke down monday and had to order a part out of Ohio that was supposed to be there by 10 am tuesday.  Then the word comes that the part was being flown in out of kentucky and the plane slid off the runway.  Here it is Thursday, still down, still waiting on that part.  They also attempted to order some parts out of Arkansas yesterday for a Belarus farm tractor and the man said he was suprised they were able to get through to him, the phone was all that was working apparantly.  Talked like they had a major mess on their hands, and no power.  He was kind enough to write down their order and go back with a flashlight and see if the parts were in stock since the computers were down.

chevytaHOE5674

Tons of people without power. Many tree crews and linemen have been dispatched to the area from around the country. If i didn't have obligations here I would be on my way with my friend and his bucket truck to try and do some cleanup :(. I love storm work...

Thank You Sponsors!