iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Memorial Day here too or use to be for the old farmers. Even my dad was getting Tomatoes in before Memorial some years.Got tired of some people getting them before he did.
We had a good frost last night,26°  that's 7 degrees below freezing for you other people.  ;D We are a hill,so it might of got colder.Was warmer a month ago at Easter. We covered and brought things inside last night.
Bull hope you made it OK.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bull

We shall see, checked  at 2am everything was looking good, fires burning in barrels temp was  38, should not have come in the house " fell asleep" on the couch... 5:35 went out fire burnt down to ash temp 34..... spotty frozen soil at the surface, plants appear OK , no sign of frost though !!!   The only thing I am afraid I may loose are the beans...

Take a gamble see what happens, the garden is a better gamble than a scratch ticket !!!

bandmiller2

Light frost here this morning may 11 see it on the car roof.My first corn is in but not up outher stuff in the cold frame or hardy.I've been told it needs to get down to 28 degrees to do damage don't know how true that is. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

stonebroke

Quote from: bull on May 11, 2010, 06:51:57 AM
We shall see, checked  at 2am everything was looking good, fires burning in barrels temp was  38, should not have come in the house " fell asleep" on the couch... 5:35 went out fire burnt down to ash temp 34..... spotty frozen soil at the surface, plants appear OK , no sign of frost though !!!   The only thing I am afraid I may loose are the beans...

Take a gamble see what happens, the garden is a better gamble than a scratch ticket !!!

Have you ever tried the frost blankets?

Stonebroke

bull

I covered  300+ lettuce plants with old sheets......  sun is up and the beans are still light in color, that is a good sign..... Usually of frosted the will turn dark green to black in first light... temp was at 31 for 14 minutes  32 for 47 minutes 34 for 3 hours.....  I turned on one sprinkler and had ice within 2 minutes on the soil surface 25 ft north of the burning barrel.......   8:05 all lettuce is uncovered, looks ok !!!   all firm - frozen crust is gone !!!!
Today will be busy with alot more planting.... Have things to pull out of the greenhouse to get hardened off for transplanting....

looks like greenhouse number 2 for the fall- season extension!!!!

D Hagens

Sitting outside having a coffee in a T. Very warm mornings here, can't wait to get back to the cabin. 8)

SwampDonkey

Still not frost here, but they say there might be in the morning because it's clear and calm.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

It's toasty here, it was 90 today in the woods. Felt like 110 around the cut slash. But it's a dry heat, not sticky like later in summer.

Lots of water in my jug and lots of trees to whack. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Low 90's here, but the humidity was dripping wet.  No breeze.  We white flagged  whiteflag_smiley and surrendered at 3:00.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

I guess you folks up north are getting some of that down south heat. Ya'll were kind enough to share this winter so we had to return the favor this summer.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Gary_C

Well we have had three days of high winds from the south and hot hazy sunshine. Temps have been slowly climbing and today here in Southern MN the forecast was for a high of 88 and it was 92 around noon and the temp sensor in the pickup reported 100. With high humidities it is hard to work outside today.

Now while I would always prefer to sweat over freezing, I have to admit this has slowed me down a bit. Fortunately I had some things to pick up in town but one of those things was a tire and by the time I got that tire changed I was soaked. So now I am trying to equalize the amount of liquids inside and outside my body and I think I have it under control.  :D :D

They say the weather will not change till the jet stream moves.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

bull

85 today 90+ tommorrow..... bring it on !!! Grow corn grow!!!

LeeB

Just remeber to stay hydrated folks and if you do gatorade or something like it drink water with it at 4 water to 1 gaterade. if you don't have AC, water will cool you down, take a shower.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Brucer

Quote from: LeeB on May 24, 2010, 11:43:22 PM
Just remeber to stay hydrated folks and if you do gatorade or something like it drink water with it at 4 water to 1 gaterade.

Yep. Sugar slows down the absorption of water. Also, cold water is absorbed much more quickly than warm water. And drinking too much at once leaves you feeling full. So ...

Avoid sweetened drinks, or dilute them.
Drink cool or cold liquids.
Drink small amounts frequently.

As for those "electrolyte replacement" drinks -- well, when you get too hot your body starts to re-absorb electrolytes (like sodium) before they leave your sweat glands.

Plain old water is still the best.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

SwampDonkey

In Wyoming they said it was 32 yesterday.  ;D

The humidity here was 44 % yesterday, but the dew point was 58 deg., which is sticky for us northern types. ;D I didn't feel a mugginess myself but my shirt was soaked when I crawled out of the brush at 2:30 pm. ;D

Norm

We got up to 92° here yesterday with a bit of humidity. The only saving grace was some strong winds but they wear you down too so by 3:00pm I headed in for a shower and cold water to drink.

Hope this moves out before the first cutting of alfalfa comes ready.

SwampDonkey

She moved out here. 0.5" of rain in an hour between 4 and 5 pm and the temp dropped from 90 to 68 F. Couple claps of thunder, no wind behind it. Seems to be done thundering now.  Still some light rain. ;D

Ron Scott

Too hot in the woods today. Loggers quit at noon.
~Ron

Magicman

Very little Gatoraide for me.  One 10 oz per day.  Sometimes I use the powdered kind and only add ¼ scoop to my water.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

The jet stream moved off to the west keeping the heat at bay for the rest of the week. Today mid 70's and next few in the 60's. Just right. ;D

bull

yesterdays temp in the shade was 92. temp in the field was 121 in full sun..... thankfully there was a breeze and the tractor has AC

thecfarm

Been wonderful weather here. Had a few days of really warm weather,but it is summer here now.Had some rain,could use some more.Did start to rain here this morning around 3,stopped around 9. Still wet ouside,will stay in a while longer. Garden is doing great.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

It is hot and dry here, so things are quite normal  :).  There is a diesel irrigation pump about 1/2 mile from my house that is running almost non-stop.  I would hate to have to pay that diesel bill.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Rained today about 6/10" from about 10:00 am. I think there was more out in the bush though, it poured and was one of them coast east rains of the Atlantic. I was walking on trout in my boots most of the day. When the GPS shut off, I was ready for home. :D You get an 8 hr session per charge on these things, so don't matter if you start at 6 am or 8 am. ;D Had a couple little deductions I was about to take out to complete the block, but nope. ;)

Samuel

72 here today...partly cloudy.

Swamp you need a solar panel for that thing
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

Thank You Sponsors!