iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warbird

Freezing rain here in the Interior of Alaska.  It's the worst I've seen in my 30 years in Alaska.  They've shut down all flights, closed schools, and even the University.  They hardly ever shut down the University.

SwampDonkey

Turning mild over night, good bye snow.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

I had to mow the weeds yesterday.
It was a gorgeous day.  Makes some of the summer suffering worth it. :D

SwampDonkey

:-\ Mowing, don't want anything to do with it for another 6 months. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

JohnG28

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 22, 2010, 07:36:50 PM
:-\ Mowing, don't want anything to do with it for another 6 months. :D
[/quote

I agree with ya there.  Mower is away in the shed and snowblower is awaiting duty here. All we have is rain though, wish it would just snow and freeze up already.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

chain

Still under a severe drought but did receive 1" last week, this moisture enabled us to do some disking in soybean ground. Remarkable for this time of year that many large drainage ditches continue to remain bone dry and bottom of ditches cracked open three inches or so.

This may change this week as forecasters say heavy moisture moving up from Gulf.....70s degrees today..forecast Turkey Day...colder with sleet or snow Thanksgiving night! :o

Warbird

Coon

The weather is so out of whack.  We are getting the weather that you should be getting Warbird.  It is -20C here right now with a warming trend and more snow coming through the night.  The winds are supposed to pick up as well bringing with it the winchill to make it feel into the -30'sC.   ::)  I am beginning to think that we are going to end up with one of those old fashioned winters with snow up to the tops of the powerlines.  :o  The wildlife is sure gonna take a s$#@ kicking this winter if thats the case.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Warbird

Yeah.  It's a cycle.  The last time this particular cycle happened in recorded history, was back in the 1930's.

sandhills

Hope you folks are doing ok up there, we had the snow down here last winter and the ice a few winters back.  Not sure which is worse but the ice was terrible.  The trees and the power companies took the worst of it, we had neighbors without electricity for up to 2 weeks, not too many people complained about their light bill after they had to make their own juice for a while and generators were pretty hard to come by.  Hope this all passes for you and stay safe.

Coon

Well I found out today that my a$$ is dragging in the snow already.  :D  Guess I got too short of a wheelbase.  ;D  If it keeps on snowing like this all winter we are going to be in serious trouble.  All of the potholes and the ground is so full of water that there is no place for it to run.  I just heard today that the Quill Lakes are already 2 inches higher than ever recorded.  The two lakes are beginning to grow together into one.  There may be even less of a crop put in next spring as well.  My grandfather says tha this weather is turning out just like the early 40's.   sail_smiley 

isawlogs

Quote from: Warbird on November 23, 2010, 11:19:24 PM
Yeah.  It's a cycle.  The last time this particular cycle happened in recorded history, was back in the 1930's.

Has anyone informed Al of this discovery ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Magicman

80° today and tomorrow, and 29° Friday night.  That's a 50° difference.  We've got some wind coming.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Sprucegum

Minus 26 C outside Plus 20 C inside; hope I can stay on the good side all day  :)

sawguy21

So cold up north the polar bears are accepting pat downs just to get outta Dodge. :D -9C here this morning supposed to be +8 by Friday.  ???
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Warbird

Quote from: isawlogs on November 24, 2010, 08:28:01 AM
Quote from: Warbird on November 23, 2010, 11:19:24 PM
Yeah.  It's a cycle.  The last time this particular cycle happened in recorded history, was back in the 1930's.

Has anyone informed Al of this discovery ???

*edit*  I changed what I said here, cause I didn't want Jeff to throw me in the Woodshed.  I will simply state that some folks tend to ignore recorded history and make a huge profit from fear mongering.

isawlogs

Dats what I was thinking too  ;) ;D 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Warbird

You know it's been cold outside when it drastically warms up and -5 F feels like t-shirt weather.  ;)

SwampDonkey

Rain here has removed the 2 or 3 inches we had. They say snow for Monday though.

I'm getting itchy to go sledding, via gravity. ;D Gives the neighbors something to talk about. :D

Coon

I hear ya on that Warbird.  Our temps have been crazy lately.  You never know what the weather is going to be like until you go outside and check it out for yerself.  ;D  The other night when I went out for a walk it was -29C and foggier than heck at about 8pm and by 6am it was -7C and clear blue skies.  By 10am it was cloudy and about -10C with a hard stiff wind that felt like it was -40C. 

Sawmp you better head up this way and bring a sail with you.  We been having lots of wind and the conditions are just beautiful for sledding.  I went out cross country skiing, for my first time this winter, today and the trails were in great shape.  I should have worn my colors and took the rifle with though.  I coulda got myself a real dandy buck that would score in the 180's or so.  Definately a record book buck though.   ;)

SwampDonkey

Yeah, wish we had a foot or so with this rain on top. It's been raining since Thursday, ain't gonna stop 'til Sunday. Got 2" now and this is just the a.m. part of the day. The ground is saturated.  It's been a wet fall. ::)

Warbird

Ugh.  We had more than 1 inch of ice covering most roads around here, due to rain last week.  After being 32 F with freezing rain for a few days, it then snowed a bit, then dropped to -30 F.  It was pretty miserable there for a bit.

Norm

We got an inch of snow overnight. At 6am the snowplows were out clearing the county blacktop. Come February they won't be out for less than 6"s.  :D

Magicman

The only thing that is happening with trees around the Magichome is split and going into the fireplace insert.   ;)  Sorry to see that you guys in the NE are getting hammered.   :'(
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!