iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northwoods1

Every once in a great while we will get a late March snowstorm and this happens to be one :)

When it is in the mid to upper 50's and almost all the snow has melted it is hard to keep reminding yourself that it can still snow a lot before April gets here.

Been snowing 26 hrs. now and it is still coming down as hard as ever. Has to be close to 18" total. I hate plowing snow when the ground is soft underneath, but that is what will be on the agenda for tomorrow, no hope that this is gonna melt fast temps supposed to stay below freezing for close to the next week :'(

SwampDonkey

It's possible to get snow here in May. I've seen a few ash backward springs over the years. Just about wiped out the barn swallows  up here in '96.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

SD, we got four inches early in the week then we got a scuff day before yesterday. We still have three feet or more snow, its going down some, good thing too that its melting slowly as the river here has a big drainage to take.

Northwoods, sucks to plow that much snow when the ground is soft, hard on the equipment. Had a western plow on my Dodge/cumins lost site of the plow alot, I was going to rig a peice of 3" pipe under my cutting edge by splitting the pipe and attaching it under for this time of the year as to try and get away from the blade bitting into the ground, never did get around to it as we moved here and I don't plow for 65 houses anymore. Moving all that snow is hard work.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

No School for the surrounding schools here today. Here is is the first week of spring and this is the first time all winter Tammy had two consecutive snow days. Nasty wet heavy stuff.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Sun here today, and 40 F. Unless it warms up in a week, looks like a slow spring melt for sure.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

They are calling for sun here the next 7 days, but the warmest day predicted is only in the low 40's.  It was only 6° here this morning.  We should still get some melt with as high as the sun is now.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Woodcarver

About 8 inches here, I guess.  It blew around a little.  I'm reluctant to plow.  As Northwoods said, the ground is thawed and soft under the snow.

I was able to make a track in the driveway with our four-wheel drive pickup this morning, so I know we can get out if necessary. The problem is that temperatures are predicted to be well below normal until the middle of next week.  I may not be able to wait that long. Not a problem for us, but probably would be for visitors.
If I do plow I'll turn the blade backwards on our three-point plow.  It doesn't tear things up as bad that way.

I'm read for spring--or summer--, whichever comes first.  :)

Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

trapper

garbage truck got stuck in my yard yesterday.  Placed  the recycle can in the way to stop him from going there.  didnt get my message
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

northwoods1

Almost made it all the way into the farm yesterday morning :D only had to walk a 100 yds or so, bumper started to push to much snow which is not exactly the best way to go about plowing. Ended up with 18" of new snow and I guess that is the 2nd largest snowfall on record (since 1889) for the month of March. I managed to get things plowed out with the tractor just enough to get in and out. Temperature was -2.2 this morning it looks like this snow will be hanging around for a while yet.
I'm chomping at the bit to get some sawing done on the bandmill and thought I would be doing it this week but this snow sure puts a damper on things. Rather than fight it I think I will wait it out and hope for warmer weather to make this snow disappear.

Autocar

Northwoods here in Ohio I thought the weather sucked but its a picnic compared to your place  ;D
Bill

SwampDonkey

And here he was grin'n awhile back when he had his cedar all out and nary a snow flake in site.  ;D ;D

It's no warm spell here, low thirties for highs and down in teens at night. No sign of any snow storms ahead in the forecast.

thecfarm

Still kinda cold here. But that's OK for the flooding.I thought we was on our way a few weeks back.But like Bibbyman and northwoods Mother Nature said not yet. Guess it's no big deal,no snow,so far. Just a little on the cool side.Wind is blowing and drying things out.This time it's a cold wind.A few weeks back it was a nice warm wind. We've had a few small storms,but long gone now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sandhills

Spring has sprung here, right back into winter  :(.  We have around six inches of snow so far and it's suppose to keep up till 7 tonight.  I was really enjoying the nice weather before this started.

WDH

Dry here and windy.  Highs in the 70's, lows in the low 50's.  The whole state in under a burn ban.  There are a number of wildfires down Tom's way.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

northwoods1

-7 here this morning... new record low since 1889...

bill m

Cold here this morning also for this time of year 15 deg. . High of 33 , guess the sap is not going to run today. :( :(
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

SwampDonkey

Similar here Bill.

beenthere

And now that global warming is over, we will maybe hear about the ice age coming?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Nope, I just took the new sled out for a run. Went a quarter mile before the long walk back up. :D :D

sandhills

About ten days ago we were somewhere in the 60's now we're back to this

I was really liking the 60* weather, and so weren't they.

:-\

SwampDonkey

42 here today, been sunny here for most of the month now. Odd flurry at night that never added up to anything. Rain and snow mix for Saturday one report says. It's very slow melting here, but I can notice it dropping every day.

Warbird

We also got ~2" of new snow the night before last, sandhills.  And the roads had been mostly clean.

Coon

It's been snowing here all day but you wouldn't know by lookin at the ground.  Melting as fast as it falls. Had a high of about 33 F today and it's still only 29.3 F now. Forecast is for the same kind of temps but no snow for the rest of this week and into next week.  We need a slow melt this spring to prevent as much flooding but don't need it this snow.  At this rate we won't be able to put crops in until the end of May or into June and would limit the types of crops put in. Who knows..... most farmers may not even get a crop put in this year with having record amounts of moisture and nowhere for it to go. 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

trapper

just south of Dang tonight and it is too hot.  Air conditioner on in the motel and working up a sweat just looking at the forum. 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

snowstorm

the weather guy says big snow storm coming.....a foot or more and maybe another next week. went snowmobiling monday. stratton to rangley still 3 to 4 ft up there. talking to a guy in rangley said last he knew over 3ft on ice on the lake

Thank You Sponsors!