iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pursuing a Forestry Career

Started by jacktroll4159, June 22, 2018, 12:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacktroll4159

Hi y'all,

I'm about to go into my senior year of high school, and i'm very interested in pursuing a career as a forester. Forest management sounds absolutely fascinating, and I've always loved spending time in the woods. I have a solid GPA and ACT, and hopefully I can attend Oregon State University for forestry.

I want to gain some knowledge and experience in my next year of high school regarding forestry, but there aren't a lot of resources near where I live regarding the subject. Are there any books to read/things I should know? Is there any way to gain some practical knowledge while still in high school?

Thanks for reading, and I hope to learn a lot from this forum :)

WDH

You could acquire some Forestry textbooks and read them.  It will put you way ahead when you attend classes.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

timberking

Down here the 4H have forestry teams that give some insight and practical knowledge.  Check with OSU to be sure your senior year classes will be in line with what is needed.  Maybe you can meet someone that is in the business.  We have a recent HS grad working with us this summer who is attending U. of Ark. Monticello(my alma mater) this fall for forestry.  He tallies, helps flag lines, and is learning his compass and pacing.  The boss is his uncle.

dgdrls

JT4159, wlecome
 Tell every adult in your life what you want to do and ask them for help. 
If you have a Guidance Counselor as School
start visiting with them regularly and tell them what you want to do.  

Also look here and start asking questions of them.
College of Forestry: Forestry Degree

you have to do the leg-work, start early

best

Ron Scott

Where are you located? In Oregon? Seek out a local professional forester that might become a mentor for you. Also contact the Society of American Foresters (SAF). They have information on "How to Become a Forester" that you might be interested in? Oregon State University should have some as well.
~Ron

RPF2509

Welcome to the forum from an OSU College of Forestry graduate.  First of all are you an Oregon resident?  If not, tuition for out of state residents is expensive but there are many scholarship opportunities from the COF.  The time to start researching and applying for them is now.  Definitely talk to you local school counselor on your senior course load and scholarships.  Check out the college of forestry's web site, you can get a lot of info about what to expect, courses required and who the teachers are.  There are often articles written by the students about their experiences as well as opportunities to make connections.  Learn a bit about the new Peavy Hall where you will take many of your classes and Macdonald Forest where you will do many of your forestry labs.  If not from Oregon, winters in the Willamet Valley can be trying with lots of rain and low valley fog even when the sun is shining.  Good excuse to stay inside and study! Corvallis is a small college town and you don't really need a car, just a bicycle if you are willing to ride in the rain - get fenders!  I think I put less than 2000 miles on my car the 4 years I was there.  Never drove to campus as parking it is difficult.  Even a skateboard can get you around town quick. Portland is an hour and a half away if you need the big city vibe.  I enjoyed my education there and it really prepared me for a professional job.  You are coming into the profession at a good time, a lot of the old guard is nearing retirement age and needs someone to pass their knowledge on to.  Plenty of summer tech positions available so your summers will be put to good use learning by doing.  The school forest also has work study programs you can look into.  Go Beav's!

BradMarks

And they have a good baseball team ;D

Thank You Sponsors!