iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Tenon Cutter is Now Set Up.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, March 09, 2015, 08:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

My off bearer is a really good welder and metal man / mechanic.
We went to the local scrap yard today and got a few odds and ends and Kirk welded up this rig where the drill will slide into the log and cut tenons.
After building a sturdy Pine table he welded everything up. We went to Lowe's and got a clamp for the log and welded it on.
Bolted the whole shooting match to the table and now we're ready for business.  :)
My thanks to member Yukon Cornelius for advice before buying all the cutters and drill.
Hopefully before log I can post some pics of our log creations.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

sprucebunny

Great idea  8)

I've owned a couple of those cutters for years and been scared to use them  :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Hilltop366

Neat looking jig!   It should keep the drill from slapping you in the face.

WDH

Poston,

Hopefully, your offbearer is straight grained.  You are about as spiral grained as that elm log.  Even a diesel edger won't straighten you out.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

That looks good.
Didn't we have one other thread derailed when a edger was mentioned??  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on March 09, 2015, 08:55:43 PM
Poston,

You are about as spiral grained as that elm log.  Even a diesel edger won't straighten you out.

I've said it once and I'll say it again........ :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

WDH

More to come.........."As the Tenon Cutter Turns". 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Hilltop366

Dave a slightly different subject I was wondering how long a drive it is from your area to Myrtle Beach?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Hilltop366 on March 09, 2015, 09:07:32 PM
Dave a slightly different subject I was wondering how long a drive it is from your area to Myrtle Beach?

3 1/2 hours.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: sprucebunny on March 09, 2015, 08:49:28 PM
Great idea  8)

I've owned a couple of those cutters for years and been scared to use them  :D

Didn't you kill a few squirrels with them?  :D :D :D

Hilltop366

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 09, 2015, 09:08:47 PM

3 1/2 hours.

Thanks, its a bit farther than I was guessing, I'm suppose to be @ the beach next fall for a bit but I'm not sure how much we will get to travel from there.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Hilltop366 on March 09, 2015, 09:30:53 PM

3 1/2 hours.

Thanks, its a bit farther than I was guessing, I'm suppose to be @ the beach next fall for a bit but I not sure how much we will get to travel from there.

What month?

yukon cornelius

That's a fantastic setup! I cant wait to hear how it does! I just redneck manhandle my drill while my log is clamped in a pipe vise bolted on my bench. on larger stuff I have a big jawed vise I clamp it in.  sometimes I get them a bit crooked. sometimes I drill my mortise hole crooked so its a wash. ;D I sure cant wait to see what you get going!  8)
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Hilltop366

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 09, 2015, 09:38:42 PM
Quote from: Hilltop366 on March 09, 2015, 09:30:53 PM

3 1/2 hours.

Thanks, its a bit farther than I was guessing, I'm suppose to be @ the beach next fall for a bit but I not sure how much we will get to travel from there.

What month?

Looks like Sept. 30- Oct 6

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Holmes, remind me as it gets closer. We may can make the trip for the 1,236 time.  :D
Good place....If I get to come, I'll take you to Calabash to eat.  :)

WmFritz

Nice fabrication. Should be much safer then my two-man setup where my helper has to sit on the log to hold it.  :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WmFritz on March 09, 2015, 10:04:07 PM
Nice fabrication. Should be much safer then my two-man setup where my helper has to sit on the log to hold it.  :D

:D :D :D I can make you one for $300.00.

beenthere

I thought the final pic would be showing a tenon cut... but  ::)

... didn't happen. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: beenthere on March 09, 2015, 10:14:03 PM
I thought the final pic would be showing a tenon cut... but  ::)

... didn't happen.

I wanted to see a tenon as well. Like the forum says, if there is no picture it didn't happen.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Hey...look here Jim and Brother Been......its gonna happen and I'll show pics. Y'all just hang on.  ;D

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

WmFritz

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on March 09, 2015, 10:06:39 PM

:D :D :D I can make you one for $300.00.

If that prices includes free delivery, I'll toss in a Walleye supper... or a tin can.

Your Choice.  ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Bill, if you want one of these, you can baby sit it when I go to Georgia.  ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

OK Big Jim Rogers and Brother Been....here's my video of cutting a 3 inch tenon.
http://youtu.be/IJJIF4AOEXE

The tenon cutting part is not hard but the Fostner Bit drilling is the hard part....in Cedar anyway.
The 2 inch Fostner bit they sent IMO is not made to cut dry heart Cedar.
The bit on the right has small teeth and just would not cut....so I went to Lowe's and bought one with larger teeth. What a difference. The bigger tooth bit cut the Cedar like butter.

Here is a pic of the first piece of junk I made. The angles are wrong and thats something I need to work on.

The tenon in the video is the largest and here is a pic of the smallest I can cut. This is not as easy as I thought it was but with some experimenting and practice....I'll learn it.

redprospector

1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Thank You Sponsors!