iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

grit sighting

Started by red oaks lumber, November 23, 2012, 11:16:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Quote from: isawlogs on November 25, 2012, 05:38:42 PM
I don't beleive that Lake Whitefish are of the carp family.
And I do not know.  I only repeated what the first line of my link said.  Heck, I figured that they knew.

But we do agree that they are good eating.   food3
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

This is the Whitefish we have in the great lakes, also known as Menominee, and also the fish that everyone that eats it seems to love. I do like it, but prefer perch. Tammy and I had us some perch a couple nights ago at the Yooperman. :)

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10364_18958-45683--,00.html
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

drobertson

Just got back from the southern end of Lake Michigan, we had grits, pheasant, deer, and turkey, eggs and bacon, some venison sausage and jerkey (from missouri) and it was all good,  must say as a southern boy, the grits made each dish just a bit better ;D  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

customsawyer

I have some contacts that are going to set me up with some real stone ground grits. I think I will send these to Red Oaks Lumber with some coaching on how to cook them and see if his tongue don't come out and slap him for not having had some sooner. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Red Oaks is lucky to have such a fine friend  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dave Shepard

Just in time for winter. Never know when you might get stuck on the ice.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

CHARLIE

Customsawyer, order some stoneground grits from Logan's Turnpike Mill.  They don't grind it until you order it.  It's absolutely the best grits I've ever had.

http://www.loganturnpikemill.com/
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

isawlogs

Better if ground coarse, ya get better traction on ice that way. ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

red oaks lumber

customsawyer
if your fix'n to send me some grits, i want the kind you use with red horse suckers? ;)
my tongue has slapped me for alot of things and not eating grits has not been one of them :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

JohnW

Grits must do something to you.  I've eaten them a few times.  I was inspired by MM's link there to try them again yesterday morning.  I just happened to have a box in the house, imagine that.  I had grits for the first time in a cafeteria in downtown Atlanta, April 1983.  I had heard a little about how grits were so highly regarded in the South, but not really anything specific.  I was kind of surprised by how unremarkable they were.  They were about like cream of wheat, mainly thicker.  But then, my favorite breakfast food is eggs, and I doubt if any first time egg eater would be that impressed by eggs either.

Breakfast really is the greatest meal.  I think probably about 10% of the people I know eat breakfast.  That's probably what's wrong with our country today.  If more people would eat breakfast, things would change.

thecfarm

I don't want to hear ,If more people would eat g...s, things would change.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: thecfarm on November 27, 2012, 09:01:35 PM
I don't want to hear ,If more people would eat g...s, things would change.  :D

If more people would eat Grits, the world would be a better place.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Eggs were made for grits  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red oaks lumber

wdh
i guess your right about the egg theory. i feed my chickens grit to help get eggs :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Raider Bill

I too recently re-tried g--ts. Figured here are some guys I really admire telling me they are great. Turned out it was like smashing your thumb with a hammer same result as last time, yuck...... Made me think of the paste you use to hang wallpaper. :o
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

You eat wallpaper paste !!!   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Raider Bill

In almost 60 years I've eaten a bunch of stuff i shouldn't have. some on purpose some not. grits falls in both catagories. 

Mooseherder

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Raider may have been eating Mush and didn't know it.  say_what

WDH

Before you get your Southerner License, you will have to pass the Grits Test  :D.

You got the bacon part down pat, so you are part way there  8).

Raider Bill

I like collard greens and black eyed peas does that count?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Raider Bill on November 28, 2012, 09:30:26 PM
I like collard greens and black eyed peas does that count?

Yes Sir.....that'll get ya a key to our City. :)

WDH

Yes, you definitely get credit for that.

JohnW

So what's the right amount of grits to fix anyway?  1/2 cup meal plus water, what Quaker considers two servings, is actually a little more than I would take if I were dishing it out of a whole pot.  Do you try for left over grits?  Fried left over grits, that's mush isn't it?  It's pretty good if you fry it for about 15 or 20 mintues.  It just starts to get a little crispy on the edges.

Magicman

Ya don't use meal 'cause it would then be mush.  Gotta use grits, and follow the instructions on the box.  There is no such thing as "leftover grits".

Thank You Sponsors!