iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CBN wheel wheel worn out?

Started by JustinW_NZ, May 06, 2013, 07:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustinW_NZ

hi all

I have a WM CBN sharpener (shop series) that came with me mill, I think I've about got it figured out and working ok.
My question is however how much life can you expect from the CBN wheel and how can you tell when its about useless?
are they very rough to touch normally?

The reason I ask is that the grinder was setup with to much angle and the wheel leading up to the tip appears to be not grinding very well and appears to be a slightly different color when looking at it?
Or is it one of those things when it stops producing sharp bands you throw it but until then ignore it?
Any tips on this?

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

bandmiller2

Hate to say it mate but you will probably need a new wheel,Someone probably tried to sharpen carbide tipped bands.You should feel rough on the wheel,smooth and grits are worn off. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

hamish

If it is just worn you should be able to dress the wheel and clean it up.  Its regularily done at work with diamond blades and such.  the Borazon is impregnated into the stone..........aka there is more than one layer of it.
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

bandmiller2

Correct me if I'am wrong but I believe the wheel is not solid but like a tire buffing wheel, shaped pressed steel with a grit matrix applied to the outside. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

tommone

If it is an original full profile Woodmizer CBN wheel it has one layer of CBN grit electroplated onto a steel preform. No amount of cleaning with a dressing stick will improve the grit protrusion although it would de-clog it if there are steel particles attached to it. Tom

petefrom bearswamp

Don't know if Tom is an advertiser yet.
I have two of Tom's wheels, one for WM 10 degree and the other for Cook's super sharp.
Tom knows his onions and is very helpful.
The wheels work very well.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

drobertson

not sure about wear life, but it seems like around 200 sharpening is the limit, depending of course on depth of the grind per tooth, and how many cycles per tooth,  having a wheel is just that, some need redressing others need replacing, if the quality is down, change out and start over,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

JustinW_NZ

yeah, I had to get a couple of bands back into shape last night and I probably sent them around 7 times (gently)
was staring at it thinking the outside edge is smoother and it doesn't seem to spark as much as where it hits the gullet...

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;

tommone

Justin your wheel definitely appears to be worn out if you have to go round 7 times. Wheel area first to go dull will be the locations which contact the induction hardened teeth. Simple way to check wear is to run your fingernail along the surface whilst wheel is stationery. Worn parts will feel smoother. Tom

Peter Drouin

I have sharpen over 400 blades and my wm cbn looks new
but my wm cbn is in oil

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: tommone on May 09, 2013, 06:09:26 AM
Justin your wheel definitely appears to be worn out if you have to go round 7 times. Wheel area first to go dull will be the locations which contact the induction hardened teeth. Simple way to check wear is to run your fingernail along the surface whilst wheel is stationery. Worn parts will feel smoother. Tom

thanks for that comment, makes sense.

I did another band tonight that was more in line and two good passes seemed to sort it.
I also use oil - a thin white oil.
Tom what do you recommend for these types of grinders?

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;

petefrom bearswamp

I use toms wheels on my older WM drag sharpener.
I had some old light weight hydraulic oil on hand and use that for lube.
Wasn,t sure about the combustibility of the oil so kept the fire ext handy for the sharpenings, but had no problems.
I built a shield behind the wheel to minimize the splatter, but the oil drips off where the anti drip piece hits the blade.
A can under this area solved this.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

tommone

I can't really help you there Justin but a lot of guys are using Woodmizers own oil but some are using their own concoction. Maybe if you asked the question on a new thread you will get some interesting answers.Tom

Thank You Sponsors!