iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Consultants?

Started by Brian Beauchamp, December 29, 2006, 11:39:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Beauchamp

I am trying to figure out all of the ins and outs of the cost share programs. One thing I am having trouble with is figuring out which ones cover consultant fees and to what degree. Does anyone have any information on the WRP, WHIP, or any other programs? I do not see anywhere on the NRCS site that outlines this.

Norm

I have found the best way to get info on these programs is to visit your local FSA Office

If they don't know the answer most likely they can steer you to who can.

Ron Scott

As Norm said; it's best to contact your local Farm Service Agency for the latest and current information concerning these programs under the existing Farm Bill.

They should be able to advise you for your specific resource management situation.
~Ron

Phorester

Correct on what NORM and RON said.  These programs vary from State to State and even in different parts of a State.  Each State can choose the components and cost share rates of these federal programs they want to offer.  And different county committees also have some leeway in what they offer in their own county.  So the only way to know what's offered in your county is to check locally.

wesdor

I see you are in Oklahoma so this may not be helpful to you.  Here in Illinois I have gone through the local Soil Water Conservation District (SWCD).  Several of us are signed up for a program called EQIP.  IF (emphasis on purpose) this comes through we MAY get abour $400 per person to help with forestry work.  We won't know until late winter at the earliest if any of us get the money.  Not much, but at least it might get some people started on a plan.

On our place, I'm just trying to plant as many trees as possible each year.  By that I mean, the number I can care for and have enough cleared area to plant.  I'm hoping the good Lord lets me live long enough to plant enough trees to make my grandchildren happy.  We have 45 acres of timber that was high graded in 1996 and I'm in the process of removing the junk and planting hardwood.  I'll never see a saw log from what is being planted, but trying to make the world a better place is a big part of it.

Texas Ranger

Wesdor, you have the heart of a forester.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Brian Beauchamp

Thanks for all of the responses. I plan on visiting with the NRCS people in person, but just wanted a little perspecitve before I did so. I have talked with the state offices about how they can fund the planning and consultant fees through FRDP which encompasses FLEP & FIP here, but it just doesn't seem like the best program for landowners most of the time. The WRP, HFRP, and others seem a lot better as far as monetary assistance goes. You do possibly lose some more control over your property, but if you are reaching your land management goals with a little more money in your pocket, it seems worth it...at least it does to me anyway!

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Here in Canada the Tax angle has been discussed for years. And to the best of my knowledge as long as you have a management plan and keep records showing the fact that your following it and it is a 'business', you can claim your management expenses, even if it includes hiring a consultant to look after your interests. Not sure if this is an angle to pursue or not in your instance. It's not meant for hobbyist work, but for land owners that operate on their ground for business like farmers and loggers and mill owners.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Brian Beauchamp

Tom

Middle Florida linguistics?

Brian Beauchamp

Thank You Sponsors!