iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Certified Foresters

Started by Ron Scott, June 21, 2001, 07:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Scott

A developer beginning work in northern Anne Arundel County, Maryland (near Hanover), is seeking a Certified Forester to address forestry-related work on the property, including wetlands buffers.

Their goal is to find someone who can begin next week (June 25).

If interested, contact Scott Dornbirer, Heffner and Webber Companies, (410) 691-5151.
~Ron

Ron Wenrich

Certified or licensed?  MD has a licensing of foresters.  I used to have one, but let it lapse.  To get it reinstated is too much of a pain.

Who certifies foresters?

Just curious.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Ron Scott

Ron,
The Society of American Foresters (SAF) has a forester certification program which certifies foresters.

Yes, there is a difference between certification, licensing, and registration. Michigan has a registration program and some states require certification and others a license to practice forestry.

They just asked for a certified forester in this case. The request came through the SAF.
~Ron

Ron Scott

The Certification Review Board (CRB) for the Society of American Foresters Certified Forester Program has raised the standards of the Certified Forester Program.

In addition to the existing requirements a written examination will now be required as of January 2003.

"The public wants its practitioners to be capable and trained and SAF is the only organization in the U.S. in a position to certify foresters"
                              Dave Walters,
                              Tennessee Division of Forestry
~Ron

Tom

Does the SAF and CRB put themselves obove  the UNC, UGA,  Auburn, UofMiss., and all those other establishments of higher learning that cost a young fellow thousands of dollars to learn and become a professional?

Where does Certification begin?  What makes a professional certified?  Is it really the knowledge the CRB is after, or is it the "power"?  Does it mean that you can't play if you don't belong to the club? :)

Frank_Pender

I am "Certified", but gave up one of the Certiifications and Still hold another.  I have two undergraduate degrees, one masters degree, for one certification (I gave it up 3 years ago), and the second from Oregon State University Extension Service in the MWM ( Master Woodlands Manager) program.  I have been involved in the wood products industry from about the age of 5 to 57, with the last 33 years more specifically concentrating in the raw product end of the industry.  Am I certified as a "Forester"? :P
Frank Pender

swampwhiteoak

To be certified by SAF you have to have a four year degree in forestry and 5 years experience.  After you get certified you have to attend enough clinics to keep enough continuing education credits to remain certified.  And as RonS mentioned a test will be instituted starting 2003.

L. Wakefield

The same thing is happening with naturopathy and aromatherapy, and I saw it happening with lay midwifery as well in the 80s. Just as soon as there is $ to be made, there is someone who feels that certification (a pricey subject) is useful in restricting trade. Granted that it MAY also ensure adherence to standards and MAY in some cases be some protection against litigation IF there is an established standard AND it can be proven that the defendant both had the requitiste certification AND adhered to the stamdards set out by that certification. But often it provides $ to those who set themselves up in the business of running certification programs- and then it provides a sense of superiority to those having the certification- and then it provides a barrier to those without the resources to obtain certification. It's not a new game.. think of medical and nursing licensure.. :( :(  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Texas Ranger

I was certified once, but I got better. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Frank_Pender

And LW those are exactly some of the reson I do not charge for consulting or helping people find their way through their forrests and trees.  I have been blessed with a lifetime of experiences and skills and therefore share them with others.  The bread crumbs upon the waters feed a lot more ducks and geese that way. ;)
Frank Pender

L. Wakefield

I agree. That is the blessing and privilege of teaching. The heartbreak is when you offer it and people don't want it. Oh well.. :(   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Ron Scott

Swamp,
Thanks for explaining the SAF requirements for Certified Forester before I got to it. SAF also provides accreditation to the Forestry Schools in an approved cirriculum for "degreed" foresters.

I agree that one may have the Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSA's), but unless one they carries the certifications, registrations, licenses, etc. recognized by wherever they practice forestry they loose that "professional" recognition by those seeking their services.

I know from experience that it is expensive up front to carry all these credentials, but it seems to be the "in thing" with most all professions.

I now bring my vehicle to a "certified mechanic" for repair and pay their prices because the State of Michigan requires "cerified mechanics" and a certified repair facility.

Also, as previously said, the ones that start a certification program are the ones to receive the membership incomes and control the profession. Like a Union I guess.

I guess when one hires out, the public wants to be sure that they are getting what they pay for and minimum credentials are addressed by a certifcation process.  :P :P :P

~Ron

Bud Man

Certification is good but sometimes it seems to be a license to taxation.  Went to Walmart and was checked out by a certified checker using a barcode scanner --Go figure !!   Ego booster to compensate for low wage ??  Works both ways huh ??
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Ron Wenrich

Curious if SAF membership is one of the requirements.  There are probably more non-member foresters than member foresters.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Frank_Pender

Perhaps I will apply. 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Bud Man

My perception is that this certification is quality control within the Forestry profession just like a Teacher has to recharge their information or an Encycopedia has to update itself to allow for changes and new knowledge.  I'm a Forester,  always will be, no one can take that away from me. If I wanted to be certified I would have to resharpen my skills to meet todays generally accepted practices of what the SAF feels my knowledge should include.  I think all professions should maintain their image and level of proficiency to maintain credibility and assure the best product or service levels.  It's like auto drivers never having to be retested and when they reach the age of 80 or so they become accidents looking for a place to happen.  It's Quality Control and maybe a smidge of external politics or factional scheming.
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Ron Scott

A good explanation. Quality control that one is keeping up with "the state of the art". Things really change over the years.

I was on a job yesterday and they had to shut down because the computer on the Timco "cut -to- length" processor wasn't working. They had to call in an equipment expert.

What happened to the chain saw and iron mule? It's now hard to find a chain saw on a timber harvest here. Laying out a timber sale is now getting to be a challenge.

~Ron

Bud Man

Ron    I liked the Red Bear better-- :D--this white one looks to passive, looks like a captive zoo critter- not a wild free rangeing carnivore.      Those computer processor harvesters ain't cheap and I bet the field service is pricey too !! :o

Tom

"Alaskan Autumn" a print by Charles Frace'

Bud Man

Really nice painting Tom  --Rons Icon image doesn't do justice to that painting (Bears Hump and Background"s Majesty)

Ron Scott

Yes Tom came up with the "new" bear after some younger forester thought I needed to change my look after 41 years in the "bush".

I don't know if he got it from that picture though. I can't keep up with him and Jeff in their expertise to this stuff. I don't think either one is certified either. :D :D
~Ron

DanG

Yeah, Jeff & Tom are certifiable, BUT, one more post and you, the old silver bear, himself, will be a FORUM GOD, according to Jeff's post on "Behind the Forum." 8) 8) 8) 8) :D :D ;D ;D :) :) ;) ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ron Scott

SAF CERTIFIED FORESTER EXAM IN MICHIGAN

The CF exam will be offered during the MSU "ANR Week" on 2 March in the Student Service Building, 9:30-4:00.  There's a $260 fee ($335 for non-SAF members). 

More information at [ http://www.canr.msu.edu/anrweek/2007forestry.pdf] or on the MSAF calendar [ http://michigansaf.org]. 

More about the CF program is on the national SAF website [ www.certifiedforester.org]. 

~Ron

Texas Ranger

Ya know, I thought that white bear was an old tush hog.  Glad ya cleared that up.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!