iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

You know what they say about assumptions ...

Started by kiko, January 12, 2019, 06:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiko

In the loader problem thread, I told loggerman1959 about mistakes I have made by assuming a new part is a good part.  So..  Cummins QSB 6.7 common rail fuel system.  Engine runs a little ,like on three cylinders but there is no communication to the cab and fan modules.  Check the CAN (data) cable, all shows good from ecu connecter to the other modules.  Determine ECU fault. Replaced ECU .  Runs the same but can know see data and codes.  Three codes for injectors 1 ,5 and 6 open or short to ground.  Engine and injector harnesses show no continuity to ground or each other.  Replace 1,5,&6 injectors.  Engine runs the same except it now has codes for 2,3 & 4.  Well there has got to be something wrong will the harnesses that I am missing, harnesses maybe testing out with continuity but can't carry the current.  Order and replace both harnesses. Same issue same codes . Seems codes are now imbedded in the hard drive because after clearing they immediately set even before cranking engine over.  So at this point I just replace the other three injectors, turn the key switch on, same codes, crank the engine and she fired right up and runs great. Codes went away by their self after a few.  So... The Assumption that there is no way that the ECU and all six injectors could croak at one time was wrong , wrong, wrong.  Still wondering how , customer claims they have not welding on the machine lately.  Must if have been lightning all I can figure. Or maybe backwards jumper cables?

Skeans1

I know some the equipment computers are getting pretty sensitive to jump starting, is it possible just jumping shocked the system?

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

kiko

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

bushmechanic

Wow!!! I would go with lightning as I had a Kobelco 210 that was shut off in the evening and next morning... nothing. We had a storm pass through in the night so we figured it must have been struck, fried the ECM and various other electrical components. When I'm not sure if a harness or circuit is bad I use the headlight test. Make sure the circuit is unhooked on both ends (just the wire to be tested) put 12 volts through the wire and hook it through a regular old headlight, if the light illuminates wire is good, if not you have an open circuit. Up here the "greenies" hit in all sorts of places and test lights and meters will lie, one strand will carry 12 volts but won't carry the amperage. A good many times I have seen a test light work but hook up a headlamp and nothing, so go and look for the broken wire.  

mike_belben

Agreed.  I have an old hella halogen with aligator clips for load testing the head scratchers.
Praise The Lord

loggerman1959

It wasn't my new pump , it was a tiny piece of dirt in the relief valve . Couldn't believe such a small thing could cripple such a big machine . Hope you get er figured out

kiko

I never thought about the light trick and will use that in the future.  The machine is fixed.  New ECU made it better, 3 injectors made it even better, next three injectors completed it.The only parts that were replaced that were not absolutely necessary were the two engine harnesses.  The main harness was in bad shape and had been patched so that could chalked to heading another problem off. Loggerman, good deal!!!  Barbender, 5k in parts alone.

barbender

I visited your area when my buddy was still cutting for Deck down there. Jake was in the middle of his worst break down he had up to that point. We think he might have had a lightning strike as well. We had to replace quite a few of the nodes (around $3-4000 a piece iirc) some arc net cards, I can't remember what else. Also, I remember we were talking about strange problems popping up at the same time, that shouldn't have anything to do with each other. Well, his cab leveling went wonky while we were working on the other stuff. We bypassed it and I selected a couple of hunks of Georgia's finest Loblolly for the cab to rest on😁 Those things were in there for a while😂

kiko

Most people around here nowadays use those pine blocks for seat suspension. Not any cut to length stuff going on around here that I know of anymore.  Now that Interfor has bought up most of the sawmills here, they have stiff armed several loggers into a processor. 

nativewolf

#kiko- there are two brothers logging over close to montgomery al with a Ponsse bear and H8HD head on it.  Can't have the topsaw, its too much weight with the HD (added 1000+lbs).  They go s far north as the TN line.  Forward out with an elephant.  I'm actually going to be visiting them on Thursday to check it out, only 10 hour drive  smiley_thumbsdown (hate driving).  

What processors are the loggers using?
Liking Walnut

kiko

Skeans1

kiko

Have not seen the Southstar show up yet.  In my area we only have Tigercat , John Deere and Catapillar .  Both the later come with waratah around here.  Has anyone had any experience with pierce Pacific grapple processor?  Seems that could be mounted to a knuckleboom and eliminate the for an extra machine.  The problem I see with the ctl and stand alone the processor is the mixed stands of timber.  Each requires a certain type of wood and volume of it to make it work.  Those guys nativewolf is talking about traveling all over Alabama probably have to range so far to find the right type if timber. 

Skeans1

I've seen them up here but they take a hell of a big shovel to run them, most are on a 568 or 880 Tigercat sized shovel. We've been seeing a lot of Southstar heads that are grapple processors on that size of machine as well.

nativewolf

@kiko Sorry to take the thread away from diagnostics but I'm curious about the setup that's being pushed.  Loggers harvest with feller bunchers, whole tree skid from clearcuts to landings, then instead of using a loader with a slasher they are being asked to buy a tracked machine with processing head, they process it, then have to load with a loader.  So they've added another piece of mid 6 figure piece of equipment only taking off a slasher saw/delimber.  Is this right?  
Liking Walnut

kiko

Yes that correct.  They are constantly changing the specs and claim a processor is necessary for accuracy.  Some have broke out the logging tape instead of buying into to the processor thing.  Only loggers that have their own quota could make it happen IMO.  Guys on the cut and haul would be going backwards. 

nativewolf

@kiko wow...just wow.  I mean a tracked processor just sitting around re-cutting low grade SYP all day?  One drop in economy and the pulp market tanks and they'll be in bankruptcy in a heartbeat.  

In that case why don't they just go to CTL in the woods and do the processing in the forest?  Oh well.  I've seen the west coast operations where they do this and have always been a bit confused by it all.  More labor, more equipment.  Maybe it is just a result of shovel logging.  I'd have thought it made more sense to process on the forest floor and keep nutrients and reduce damage.  What do I know though.

Liking Walnut

barbender

Nativewolf, I never got the privilege of meeting Captain Kirk (one of the brothers) from everything I have heard you are in for an adventure😂

kiko

Nativewolf, Barbender may be able to help with the reasons CTL has not been able to catch on in the south.  I just deal with the Machinery so any opinions I have on logging are from the outside looking in.  I can says no one has ever survived a CTL operation here for long.  People that beat down a Tigercat skidder in 2 or 3 years would be able to demolish a harvester in a few weeks.

Skeans1

The reason we do it out here like that is we pile the brush in one location, CTL doesn't work for that.

nativewolf

Quote from: kiko on January 14, 2019, 02:02:46 PM
Nativewolf, Barbender may be able to help with the reasons CTL has not been able to catch on in the south.  I just deal with the Machinery so any opinions I have on logging are from the outside looking in.  I can says no one has ever survived a CTL operation here for long.  People that beat down a Tigercat skidder in 2 or 3 years would be able to demolish a harvester in a few weeks.
Ha, yes we have exchanged thoughts on the human capital that is required to trash a tigercat skidder in 24 months.  I'm recruiting from outside the industry and may bring in a hired hand from the great NW, NE, or Midwest.  We'll see how they are doing in Alabama on Thursday and I'll be sure to post some pictures.  These guys are owner operators though and old hands at that.  
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Quote from: Skeans1 on January 14, 2019, 05:30:45 PM
The reason we do it out here like that is we pile the brush in one location, CTL doesn't work for that.
Because you don't want to plant through brush?  All hand replanting improved DF?  I'm looking to put tops under tracks and paths.  Then again we are not cutting conifers.  If the limbs are small saw logs we'll take them out.  Right now I can take pulp and and it pays the costs of doing so but it is a wash.  Brush we want to leave behind on site.  In fact, a brush pile is one way to keep deer from browsing saplings to death.
Liking Walnut

kiko

I think I know Kirk, worked for Deck for a while.  

Thank You Sponsors!